• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And I honestly have no idea what I want. :-(

Unlimited funds, I'd probably have 3-4 different ones.

Now, though, I need a "jack of all trades / master of none" type bike.

Wife got me a decent gift card to Performance Bike. Convenient location not too far from home...

Somewhat interested in:

Fuji Absolute 3.0 Fuji Absolute 3.0 LE Flat Bar Road Bike - 2014 Performance Exclusive -

GT Karakoram GT Karakoram Sport 29er Mountain Bike - 2014 -

GT Timberline 1.0 http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1139525_-1_400308__400308

GT Avalanche 3.0 http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1125575_-1_400308__400308

GT Transeo 2.0 GT Transeo 2.0 Comfort Bike - 2014 - Hybrid Comfort Bikes

GT Transeo 4.0 GT Transeo 4.0 Comfort Bike - 2014 -

Diamondback Axis Sport 27.5 http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1154479_-1_400308__400308

Also in consideration are the Fuji Traverse line - but there wasn't anything remotely close to my size in the store so I didn't pay attention to them at the time.

Decisions decisions decisions...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What are you plans for the bike? Planning on doing ANY offroad riding, or do you want to be able to ride miles and miles on the road?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just responded to your PM.

In a nut shell - I don't know.

I know I'd enjoy the versatility / utility of a MTB with regard to gravel, yards, curbs, broken concrete sidewalks, etc. Plus MTB wheels are generally a lot stronger than road wheels. I ain't a little feller and I'd hate to taco a road wheel with a little bunny hop up and over a curb.

I also like the idea of a cyclocross bike. But they get spendy REALLY fast. I don't think I can handle the true road-bike geometry any more, though. I ain't getting any younger or more flexible... And even when I WAS younger, I never liked being all stretched out in true road bike fashion. I did, however, like riding for "miles and miles" on the road much more than I ever did doing any true mountain biking. Though I also really enjoyed riding my MTB around campus and doing some light trails.

A a beefy road frame, more upright geometry, some front suspension, and wide road tires would be nice. Kind of a cross between a commuter bike / comfort bike / and a cyclocross.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I used to ride road bikes, and I could not get comfortable on a hybrid. I have a Trek MTB now, which is my all-purpose bike, for around town, trails, walking the dogs, etc. You can also put some less aggressive tires on to make it roll easier on asphalt, if you will be riding the streets a lot.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Due to the Performance Bike gift card I was given, I'm kind of locked into Performance Bike.

I know there are several other great shops around Indy...

Guess I could always buy somewhere else and use the card to purchase accessories / kiddy trailer...

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My son is looking at buying his first "road" bike. He's only been on dirt bikes. His first blacktop experience was the BRC in Bloomington to get his license endorsement. He's riding all kinds of bikes before he makes up his mind. Just ride a lot of bikes and even then you'll wish you had a different one when you buy. I've done this now three times.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My son is looking at buying his first "road" bike. He's only been on dirt bikes. His first blacktop experience was the BRC in Bloomington to get his license endorsement. He's riding all kinds of bikes before he makes up his mind. Just ride a lot of bikes and even then you'll wish you had a different one when you buy. I've done this now three times.

Bicycle. Not motorcycle. ;)

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    And I honestly have no idea what I want. :-(

Unlimited funds, I'd probably have 3-4 different ones.

Now, though, I need a "jack of all trades / master of none" type bike.

Wife got me a decent gift card to Performance Bike. Convenient location not too far from home...

Somewhat interested in:

Fuji Absolute 3.0 Fuji Absolute 3.0 LE Flat Bar Road Bike - 2014 Performance Exclusive -

GT Karakoram GT Karakoram Sport 29er Mountain Bike - 2014 -

GT Timberline 1.0 http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1139525_-1_400308__400308

GT Avalanche 3.0 GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydraulic Disc 26" Mountain Bike - 2013 U.S. Exclusive - Mountain Bikes

GT Transeo 2.0 GT Transeo 2.0 Comfort Bike - 2014 - Hybrid Comfort Bikes

GT Transeo 4.0 GT Transeo 4.0 Comfort Bike - 2014 -

Diamondback Axis Sport 27.5 Diamondback Axis Sport 27.5" Mountain Bike - 2014 - Mountain Bikes

Also in consideration are the Fuji Traverse line - but there wasn't anything remotely close to my size in the store so I didn't pay attention to them at the time.

Decisions decisions decisions...

If you're willing to spend cash for a quality bike, be sure to check out Cannondale. I put a ton of miles on my original Cannondale (M300), both road and trail and it outlasted everything I would expect. I picked up an older F400 a few years back and it has treated me like it was new.

You can't do any serious mountain biking if you can't trust your ride to get you to the bottom of a bumpy hill. My main concept for mountain biking >> trust!

I've never spent serious money on a road bike, so I have no advice there.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    Based on the bikes you are considering you might get a 29er and get a second wheelset with dedicated road tires. Quick and easy to switch them out.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    new candidate:

Schwinn Supersport CX Cyclocross Bike - 2014 - Hybrid Comfort Bikes

I've had a Schwinn SuperSport road bike before. Still have the frame, actually... And have thought about making it into a single speed 'hood bike. But that'll just cost more money.

I digress: I kind of like the idea of a cross bike for just a bit beefier wheels/tires/brakes.

Honestly really can't afford a cool Surly cross bike... Or the Trek CrossRip. :-(

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I used to ride road bikes, and I could not get comfortable on a hybrid. I have a Trek MTB now, which is my all-purpose bike, for around town, trails, walking the dogs, etc. You can also put some less aggressive tires on to make it roll easier on asphalt, if you will be riding the streets a lot.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I went from 26" x 2" knobby tires to 26" x 1.5" and can go down to 26" x 1.25" if I want to pick up more speed. MTB is nice with a couple of luxury add-ons like a new seat and tires.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Be careful pinching pennies for a bike. Low end bikes can cause enough frustration to make people give up riding after awhile and the bike collects dust in the garage and it has little resale value.

You want to buy more bike than your ability is to extract every bit of performance out of it. Always make sure you, the rider is the limiting factor, not the equipment. Lower end bikes make you "fight" with them to make them go. Lower end components groups tend to be noisy, fall of adjustment easier and break faster. Also if you buy a more expensive bike, if you decide you don't want it anymore, it will sell faster, just like better guns do!:)

Figure out what you want and buy used if the entry price is too high. Use the Performance Gift Card for accessories. You can easily spend it on tubes, helmet, shoes, gloves, lights, bags, pumps, tires, tools, lubes, etc. etc.

Oh, and I'm not sure how old your Schwinn SS was, but Schwinn is not what is used to be.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, I'm well versed in "buy once, cry once".

But I'm also keeping in mind that I have to weigh the budget vs. intended use and usage.

I'd LOVE a $2000 bike.

Practically speaking, a $500-700ish bike will have to do.

Top Bottom