Dutch Elm disease, Emerald Ash Borer, and now...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Who has Walnut trees? :dunno: None on my property. I have a forest of wild cherry trees. Oh and id like to go back in time and slap the snot out of the idiot that brought the asian bush honeysuckle to the U.S. That stuff is out of control on my property.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Who has Walnut trees? :dunno: None on my property. I have a forest of wild cherry trees. Oh and id like to go back in time and slap the snot out of the idiot that brought the asian bush honeysuckle to the U.S. That stuff is out of control on my property.

Thousands upon thousands of Hoosiers have walnut trees.

And hundreds upon hundreds have planted "plantations" of them to grow and mature and be ready to sell at 50-60-70 years old, that's who.

This really is a big deal. If you can't see that - then that's on you.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Another excuse to finish cutting down the juglans nigra in my yard. Been replacing them with juglans regia, which are (barely) starting to produce. The black ones are just too hard to get the meats out, and to me they taste like dirt once I've got at them. Plus, they excrete a chemical into the soil that prevents a lot of things growing around them. Much rather have the real ones.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Another excuse to finish cutting down the juglans nigra in my yard. Been replacing them with juglans regia, which are (barely) starting to produce. The black ones are just too hard to get the meats out, and to me they taste like dirt once I've got at them. Plus, they excrete a chemical into the soil that prevents a lot of things growing around them. Much rather have the real ones.

Funny you would use the latin name for the species. For the uninitiated, 'nigra' is black. 'Juglans' is a contraction of 'Jupiter' and 'glans', which is the head of Jupiter's [plumbing]. The guy responsible for classifying the species had the reputation for being a dirty old man!

As for usefulness, you can take the black walnuts still in the green husk and soak them in a mixture of everclear and powdered vitamin C to make a remedy which is effective against a number of ailments including some cancers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Funny you would use the latin name for the species. For the uninitiated, 'nigra' is black. 'Juglans' is a contraction of 'Jupiter' and 'glans', which is the head of Jupiter's [plumbing]. The guy responsible for classifying the species had the reputation for being a dirty old man!

As for usefulness, you can take the black walnuts still in the green husk and soak them in a mixture of everclear and powdered vitamin C to make a remedy which is effective against a number of ailments including some cancers.

So if juglans nigra = black ****head, then juglans regia = royal ****head?? :):

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So if juglans nigra = black ****head, then juglans regia = royal ****head?? :):

Yes, just like this one!

prince-charles.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mwahaha, I do use the latin for a lot of plants; for some reason I remember it better, but I just had to this time.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    While not widely known, this has been an incoming issue for a long time now. Those of us in the forestry community have been watching it develop.

About 1% of my forest is walnut. I have been thinning my ash trees to reduce the food source for the EAB, but I am leaving the healthiest ones and monitoring them.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The only Black Walnut on my place is one that I planted with my son almost 30 years ago when he was just a toddler. I'd hate to loose it.

I have always been dubious about attempts to control things like this. The State of Indiana spent truckloads of money to cut all the ash trees in a swath across the state to stop the ash borer, but it only took one person to haul a load of firewood across the line or one planting of an infested nursery tree (as happened in Randolph Co.) to render the barrier moot.

Top Bottom