• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just finished and saw lots of extra pieces. I didn't realize what was going on until the last few steps. I haven't seen this before. The box had dark skinned characters and the instructions had light. Looks like we had two instructions depending on what you wanted to build. Is this a new trend?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Dang iphone was screwing up, usually I post and edit. You were too fast :)

3367144-clip-art-speedy-gonzales-716677.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Dark skinned, light skinned. Who cares. I would make mine crazy colored anyway. Why duplicate something you already have.

Doc, are all the extra pieces accounted for? Would want you to loose them in a patient!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just finished and saw lots of extra pieces. I didn't realize what was going on until the last few steps. I haven't seen this before. The box had dark skinned characters and the instructions had light. Looks like we had two instructions depending on what you wanted to build. Is this a new trend?

Hoosierdoc it is not a new trend or a trend at all but before I fully answer I need to give you some background.

LEGOLAND (parks) are no longer owned by The LEGO Group (TLG). They were sold off to a British theme park company Merlin Entertainments (ME). ME has the exculsive rights to open LEGOLAND parks anywhere in the world so long as they only have LEGO products. TLG owns 30% stake in LEGOLAND (parks) while ME owns the rest. Currenlty their are 7 parks with 3 more in development. There is also something called LEGOLAND Discovery Centers which are mini-theme parks (typically indoor one building) which is also run by ME.

So we have 2 major players in your situtation: TLG and ME.

Now TLG has a policy of no race in their product lines. All minifigures are yellow. However, for LICENSED product lines the no race policy is not in effect. For example, Lando Calrission who is a star war character is now shown with a brown head and hands.

Lando_(7754).jpg

250px-Lando_SWSB.png

Plus fair skinned color characters such and Luke Skywalker got "flesh color" for their minifigs.

In addition TLG has made exclusive sets with special colors and/or logos.
    The best example of this is TLG's special relationship with A.P. Moller–Maersk Group (Maersk) which is a Danish shipping company. Maersk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Since the 1970s (I think) TLG has made exculsive sets for Maersk that one could NOT buy. Those sets used a special light blue called Maersk blue which could ONLY be found in those sets. Maersk gave these sets out to its customers. These sets are HIGHLY SOUGHT after and command a HUGE price on the secondary market by LEGO collectors. Think MG value prices for a mint unopened set!
    10241_prod.jpg

10219Boxofficial.png

A few years back (2010 I think) TLG and Maersk finally updated thier agreement and TLG was allowed to make sets using the Maersk blue color in retail sets.

So back to your question. The LEGO set you have is an exculusive to LEGOLAND (parks) and based on the color pattern of light skinned and dark skinned I suspect that ME asked TLG for those special colors to market the set better for their customers considering they have parts in Europe, US and Asia. Since the set is an exclusive the no race policy that TLG follows goes out the window.

Top Bottom