2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't want any noise factory in my back yard. However if its not actually in my back yard, but just near my residence, than its a question for local noise ordinances and zoning.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't want any noise factory in my back yard. However if its not actually in my back yard, but just near my residence, than its a question for local noise ordinances and zoning.

I know the area in question...its only 5 miles from my house. It's a rural/country area, so most people own a decent amount of property. 2-3 acres is probably the smallest plot of land you will come across.

I can't say for the rest of the people, but i believe the Lowes (main people interviewed) live on something like 70-100 acres...nothing is in their "back yard" :):

Note: i realize the amount of land wont stop a stray bullet, just giving a description...we're not talking 1/4 acre lots with houses 3' apart.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I'd be okay with it as long as I got to benefit from it/utilize the facilities there.

After all, how many ranges DON'T allow us to practice some very real and potentially life saving tactical maneuvers on their firing lines? Some of them won't even allow practicing draws from what I hear.
    *shrug*

Could be a pretty good deal, IMO, if done and presented right, and not as a police only type thing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know the area in question...its only 5 miles from my house. It's a rural/country area, so most people own a decent amount of property. 2-3 acres is probably the smallest plot of land you will come across.

I can't say for the rest of the people, but i believe the Lowes (main people interviewed) live on something like 70-100 acres...nothing is in their "back yard" :):

Note: i realize the amount of land wont stop a stray bullet, just giving a description...we're not talking 1/4 acre lots with houses 3' apart.

I wouldn't try to block it, like I said it's up to the local ordinances as far as I'm concerned. I don't like a lot of noise, but I'm also a hypocrite if I try to stand in the way, since I shoot on my property in southern Indiana pretty routinely and my neighbors put up with me without whining. One of them usually comes down to join in. :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If I have a right to prevent you from making hot sauce on your property I can prevent you from having a tactical training center.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ...and in my home town no less! I haven't heard anything about this until now...

Neighbors fighting over tactical training facility near Lanesvil - WDRB 41 Louisville News
    I know the lady who starts talking at 0:57...i was kind of surprised to see her in this debate.

What do you guys think? Would you want a "tactical training" facility in your backyard? Is it up to the land owner, therefore out of your control?

I live pretty close to Lanesville--not exactly in my back yard and--probably not quite within ear shot, so it wouldn't really affect me. But I wouldn't mind having it close to me as long as they trained at descent hours and I get to use it whenever they aren't.

As far as property rights go, I think people should be able to do with their own property whatever they want, but we also have to realize that we have to live near one another too, and there are natural consequences of having everyone pissed at you. Neighborly harmony is sometimes more valuable than whatever you wanted to do with your property.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

I live in a rural area, with my own shooting range, and I have to tell you that SOUND FROM GUNSHOTS TRAVELS A LONG WAY.

There are at least 1000+ acres between me and a private game preserve and when they are shooting at the game preserve it can get pretty annoying. Especially if they are shooting for hours on end. Its one thing for shooting to occur for an hour to 2. Go beyond that and its really annoying. Realize I am a shooter and I have my own range too and I get annoyed. Ive been on my range for a couple hours at a time and I pity my neighbors when I spend long stretches out there so I try to shoot for an hour, maybe 90 minutes, max.

As far as property rights go, I think people should be able to do with their own property whatever they want, but we also have to realize that we have to live near one another too, and there are natural consequences of having everyone pissed at you. Neighborly harmony is sometimes more valuable than whatever you wanted to do with your property.
    I generally agree. But if you mix chemicals on your property and the noxious smelling (but non-hazardous) fumes spread to your neighbor's property then should your rights be limited? If you create mounds of sawdust or stone dust and it blows onto your neighbors property causing them simple inconvenience then should your rights be limited? If the noise you make is sporadic then that is one issue, but if it is hours on end, day after day after day, and if it travels long distances, then what limits should be set on you? If any?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    ...and in my home town no less! I haven't heard anything about this until now...

Neighbors fighting over tactical training facility near Lanesvil - WDRB 41 Louisville News
    I know the lady who starts talking at 0:57...i was kind of surprised to see her in this debate.

What do you guys think? Would you want a "tactical training" facility in your backyard? Is it up to the land owner, therefore out of your control?

I would love to have that near my home. Lucky people. I hope it gets approved. Think about it, there are not to many places left where someone could build such a thing and other people not hear it. Some people gripe about anything and everything. We had a place put in a facility directly 100 yards behind our PD firing range. They couldn't have gotten it anymore straight in line with our impact burm. After putting the place in they decide to whine about the gunfire and claim they were concerned for their workers. It seems that this fine state has laws protecting established firing ranges. We also have an old conservation club pretty close to being right in the middle of town. I am sure folks gripe about it but I have not heard anything. You see people tend to be stupid. Know something is someplace, build near it and then whine about it. Pretty stupid IMO.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Yes, because that means it was mine and I would be making money from it.

After that, private property, not my land, not my choice. THere are worse things to be near than a shooting range.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Kinda knew that's how it would turn out. No one wants it in their back yard, even if their back yard is big enough not to really affect them much. You just don't get much more rural in Indiana than south of Lanesville. Not much there but farmlands and hilly forests. If not there, where?

Isn't there a range nearby already that the local police use?

The nearest range that I'm aware of is Indian Creek Shooting Center just west of Georgetown. It's a club and mainly trap and skeet. I'm not sure if they have the facilities for police to use it.

I think some police still use the range at Henryville but I don't think the facilities there are all that great for police training. Hmmm. Henryville. Haven't been there in several months. Maybe I'll have to head up there on the way to work some morning.

ETA: It doesn't sound like enough planning went into the range idea, which is likely why they dropped it.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Isn't there a range nearby already that the local police use?

Kinda knew that's how it would turn out. No one wants it in their back yard, even if their back yard is big enough not to really affect them much. You just don't get much more rural in Indiana than south of Lanesville. Not much there but farmlands and hilly forests. If not there, where?

The nearest range that I'm aware of is Indian Creek Shooting Center just west of Georgetown. It's a club and mainly trap and skeet. I'm not sure if they have the facilities for police to use it.

I think some police still use the range at Henryville but I don't think the facilities there are all that great for police training. Hmmm. Henryville. Haven't been there in several months. Maybe I'll have to head up there on the way to work some morning.

What jamil said...i don't know of any others that the police would be using. There are tons of places to shoot around us (i.e. private land) so i don't frequent ranges and may not be the best source of information.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Eh, I've got multiple shooting ranges within view of my home. There's a shotgun range just up the road, and a short walk from that gets you to the local sheriff's department shooting range. Of course I've got my private range out back of the house as well.

Sounds just must not travel well here. I can hear all the shots being fired at the other ranges, but it's not loud or obtrusive enough to be a bother.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I could only dream of having an actual training facility in my back yard. I would welcome it. A plain old shooting range would be nice, but not as good.

Stupid neighbors.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I have trained at a range in a valley south of Georgetown. The entrance to the range was by an FOP building the range was on a gravel road that went into the valley.

Found it on Google Earth, 38 12 48.27 N / 85 54 39.72 W

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom