+1,000 OFc. Lance Rector and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    So, I am not a police officer, but that is my ultimate goal. I am currently a Sergeant for IDOC while finishing school

I took the shooting death of yet another officer personal, as much of this city did.

I decided to take my daughter to teach her a thing or 2 about respect and how selfless these men and women of the badge are.
    I saw this as an opportunity to teach a great lesson to our next generation about respect, honor, courage, and sacrifice.
    She decided that she would give Ofc. Renn her favorite teddy bear since he gave such a sacrifice for her.
    WTHR and WRTV saw a picture that we posted on facebook of my daughter placing her teddy bear on Ofc. Perry Renn's patrol car and contacted us
    through facebook to ask for permission to air our photo during a few of their reports.

You may have seen this photo of my daughter as it was aired on both channels and posted by
    both stations on facebook.

10_zps7d86084c.jpg

Well, fast forward to today. Myself, my wife, daughter, and daughters friend had just returned hom from Lining Ofc. Renns Funeral Route to pay our respects
    and are watching the funeral live on TV, when into the driveway pulls an IMPD Patrol car. Knowing I had not done anything wrong I wasnt too worried about why
    he was in our driveway. So I walked out into the yard and met him as he exited his vehicle. This Ofc, with his upside down carnation still pinned on his uniform,
    grief still on his face introduced himself as Ofc. Lance Rector.

Ofc. Rector went on to explain to me and my wife that he had been so moved by the photo of our daughter, and her willingness to give up her teddy bear
    for this fallen Officer, that he would like to meet her. He had contacted WTHR and asked if they had our address, which they didnt. The only thing
    they had was a contact name. Well, come to find out a friend of Ofc. Rectors wife knew my wife and was able to tell them where we live.

Ofc. Rector requested to meet our daughter so I went and got her from playing in the back room. He explained how moved and inspired he was by the photo.
    He then explained to us how he had been given a few special teddy bears that he gives out to children that are grief stricken or dealing with hard things
    in life like im sure many of the folks in his profession deal with. Ofc. Rector went on to say that he had been waiting for that one special person that he
    just instantly knew deserved his last bear, and that that one special person was my thoughtful daugther.

I was very moved by this gesture of kindness. He then went on to present my daughter with an IMPD uniform patch and a IMPD "blessed are the peacemakers" coin.
    This was so very cool and my daughter, excited by her new teddy bear, ran off with it to show her friend. We began to talk with Ofc. Rector and his wife and
    just kind of make small talk about life and he began to tell us about how great of a person Ofc. Perry Renn was.

The reason he was so moved by this is that he was friends with Ofc. Perry Renn. My daughter, still on the warpath, came back into the room and Ofc.
    Rector removed the upside down carnation from his uniform and gave it to my little girl and explained to her how very special it was and how she needed
    to take care of it.

I was speechless at the thoughtfullness of this complete stranger.

I just want to put this out there, because as we have found with the Indy going blue for IMPD, we need to support these men and women fighting for us every day.
    They are great people and this was just an amazingly thoughful gesture by a complete stranger. I was completely blown away by this random act of kindness.

I know it probably isnt a big deal, but out of respect for Ofc. Rector, I will not post his photo here because I dont have his permission. I will post photos of
    the amazing things that he presented my daughter with.

I dont know if he is a member here or not, I know we have some IMPD here.
    Either way, I would like to put this out there for everyone to see how great this man was to a complete stranger.
    A little girl and 2 parents whos day he made with one small gesture.
    This whole situation has done nothing but ignite even more of a fire inside me to accomplish my goal of one day
    patrolling the streets of our city.

Thank You kind sir for a moment we will not soon forget.
    Stay safe out there

6_zpsc5c419fd.jpg

3_zps66758483.jpg

4_zpsae9c889b.jpg

5_zps8b664fdc.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can assure you that there are many, many more like him on IMPD. Far more than the constant barrage of bad officers pasted all over INGO would have some believe.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I can assure you that there are many, many more like him on IMPD. Far more than the constant barrage of bad officers pasted all over INGO would have some believe.

I have no doubts. Ive never came across a bad one. I just had to share this story though.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Saw your wife's post on fb Indy Going Blue for IMPD. Pointed it out to OkieGirl and wanted to give her props. Please pass the message along.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Incredible story, all around. And yeah, even though I just dusted the room, apparently I missed some....

If this doesn't connect with you, there is something wrong with you.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    When the devil rears his head, the angels will appear.

That story tells of two of them.

It is one thing to see how strong our community has come together to show our support of these fine men and women,
    then it is a completely different thing to see them recognizing the support and showing THEIR appreciation of our support.

Top Bottom