• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    [Bad words] Shameful the way they're treated, but it's been that way for a long time (see Bonus Expeditionary Force). They're the best of us, and deserve the best from us. First thing should be don't waste their honor for dumb things, second should be to truly appreciate the sacrifice they're willing to make. Every time I see a man with an indication of his service, I stop to shake his hand and thank him. Nothing big, but I do appreciate it. I am also truly hating the sociopaths that run our .gov.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    It's a very sad and real thing. I happened to cross paths with a homeless Vietnam veteran a few years back. His name was Dan and he lived under a bridge in Anderson. I worked at the corner Walgreens and he would stop in on his way into town every morning, and out of town every evening. We became friends quickly and I did my best to help him.

He told me his entire life story, and it all seemed very believable, so I have no reason not to believe him. Fell on hard times after his wife left him and took most of what he had. He was a trucker and couldn't pay a ticket he received in NC, which resulted in him losing his license, and therefore, his job. He thought he was being smart by putting his house in his son's name so his ex-wife couldn't take it, but his son sold it behind his back while he was gone for work. Thus, leaving him homeless and jobless in Anderson.

He could always be seen walking about town, so one day I brought a bike and winter coat (as well as a few other small things from time to time) I never use to work and surprised him. The look on his face brings tears to my eyes to this day. He always told me he would pay me for it once he started trucking again. I later moved from Anderson after graduating from college, and have never seen him since. I occasionally have him pop into my thoughts and wonder if he's doing okay. He was a very nice guy, though wasn't without his faults. He looked like he could have been Uncle Si's twin from Duck Dynasty.

I didn't share this story for any kind of praise of pats on the back, so please don't get the wrong impression. I saw that music video a few days ago, and Dan was the first thing that popped into my head. I just wanted to share to show that this is a real problem in a lot of our communities.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I spent several years working with the homeless in Dallas. There are admittedly quite a few that are just plain crazy or are lazy bums, and could not be productive members of society if you gave them a $100,000 head start. You would be surprised how many men are like 90% of people here, but made about 6 bad decisions in a row. Most of them centered around either drugs/alcohol or failed love. Some made bad choices made after difficult circumstances, especially laid off construction workers. That is where I have found a lot of veterans. Once these guys start in the downward sprial, it is really difficult to reverse the trend. We (as individuals, the government will only screw it up) need to be sensitive to the vets in our social circles, and help them steer through the flak. Do not underestimate the power of friendship.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have seen a few vets get lost on the streets. People I grew up with that came back from the Nam with their brains scrambled. These were good men lost to the madness of jungle warfare. Tried what I could do to help. Never seemed to be enough to get them over the hump. Lost souls. Lost track of them all. Heard a couple of them ended the madness by their own hand.
    I have not thought of them for a long time. Today I will keep them in my thoughts.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Someone posted this video on facebook in honor of my son. It was hard for me to watch. Here is a direct link. Veterans are struggling.....

[video=youtube;o_l4Ab5FRwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_l4Ab5FRwM[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have seen a few vets get lost on the streets. People I grew up with that came back from the Nam with their brains scrambled. These were good men lost to the madness of jungle warfare. Tried what I could do to help. Never seemed to be enough to get them over the hump. Lost souls. Lost track of them all. Heard a couple of them ended the madness by their own hand.
    I have not thought of them for a long time. Today I will keep them in my thoughts.

And again my memory's of those lost are fresh in the front of my mind.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The VA has a program to help get homeless Vets off the street asap and provides housing up to 24 months.
    In addition the VA will get Vet enrolled into rehab and job training and all the benefits they qualify for.

I carry the VA emergency cards and hand them out to "VETS" I encounter begging in my travels.

I ask a few questions of the vet "have you been to the VA?"

The answer is usually "no they won't do anything for me"

I hand them a card and explain if they call the VA can help.

The quick answer a lot of them are not "VETS".

Beware Veteran charity's many are no more than shell agencies that collect $$$$.

Check them out a bit before you donate.

https://www.va.gov/homeless/

http://www.nchv.org/

http://www.steppingstonesforvets.com/ a charity in Anderson Indiana

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    The VA has a program to help get homeless Vets off the street asap and provides housing up to 24 months.
    In addition the VA will get Vet enrolled into rehab and job training and all the benefits they qualify for.

I carry the VA emergency cards and hand them out to "VETS" I encounter begging in my travels.

I ask a few questions of the vet "have you been to the VA?"

The answer is usually "no they won't do anything for me"

I hand them a card and explain if they call the VA can help.

The quick answer a lot of them are not "VETS".

Beware Veteran charity's many are no more than shell agencies that collect $$$$.

Check them out a bit before you donate.

https://www.va.gov/homeless/

http://www.nchv.org/

http://www.steppingstonesforvets.com/ a charity in Anderson Indiana

Bingo. Great reply. Another good resource for basic things like transportation, help with housing, etc. is the local VFW. At least ours is anyway. There are really a huge amount of resources to help Vets, so much so, that none of them need to be homeless or hungry. There's really no excuse for an actual Vet to be homeless unless he chooses to be. And as Brad mentioned, most "Vets", aren't really Vets.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I don't want to bash the VA on here. I know they have some good people who are trying to do the right thing. But, they weren't able to help my son. He was receiving counseling and meds from the VA when he passed. His counselor attended the funeral. She was extremely nice and visibly upset. Myself and a family member looked at some of the medications he was on before disposing of them. I often wonder if the meds are a big part of the problem.

My son had suffered a TBI from a roadside bomb in Iraq. He had significant hearing loss and suffered from PTSD. He had to wear hearing aids at the age of 29. I had noticed mood swings and "odd" reactions to things and situations. We had talked about it and he always had a way of making it seem like everything was fine. But, it wasn't.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bingo. Great reply. Another good resource for basic things like transportation, help with housing, etc. is the local VFW. At least ours is anyway. There are really a huge amount of resources to help Vets, so much so, that none of them need to be homeless or hungry. There's really no excuse for an actual Vet to be homeless unless he chooses to be. And as Brad mentioned, most "Vets", aren't really Vets.

Bingo.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't want to bash the VA on here. I know they have some good people who are trying to do the right thing. But, they weren't able to help my son. He was receiving counseling and meds from the VA when he passed. His counselor attended the funeral. She was extremely nice and visibly upset. Myself and a family member looked at some of the medications he was on before disposing of them. I often wonder if the meds are a big part of the problem.

My son had suffered a TBI from a roadside bomb in Iraq. He had significant hearing loss and suffered from PTSD. He had to wear hearing aids at the age of 29. I had noticed mood swings and "odd" reactions to things and situations. We had talked about it and he always had a way of making it seem like everything was fine. But, it wasn't.

I think about your son often.

I lost another friend in July. You get to where a buddy calls you, and as soon as they start talking you can hear it in their voice. You've lost another one.

You're right. This isn't the place to talk VA or stolen valor. Like Brad said, we need to be careful about the charities. Don't be taken in by a con man who is piggy-backing off someone else's sacrifice. And for all the guys suffering, or who have given up, the least we can do is stand for the flag.

This is why I have the signature I do.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I think about your son often.

I lost another friend in July. You get to where a buddy calls you, and as soon as they start talking you can hear it in their voice. You've lost another one.

You're right. This isn't the place to talk VA or stolen valor. Like Brad said, we need to be careful about the charities. Don't be taken in by a con man who is piggy-backing off someone else's sacrifice. And for all the guys suffering, or who have given up, the least we can do is stand for the flag.

This is why I have the signature I do.

Very well said Woobie.

I think I knew about the young man who passed around July. His initials are JS? If it is the same person he was one of the first to arrive at my son's services. He was even there before some of the family members. He stayed all day and was a really nice young man. I think he was in my son's platoon in Afghanistan.

I want to say that makes 5 or 6 from that one platoon. It is tragic. I don't have the words......

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Very well said Woobie.

I think I knew about the young man who passed around July. His initials are JS? If it is the same person he was one of the first to arrive at my son's services. He was even there before some of the family members. He stayed all day and was a really nice young man. I think he was in my son's platoon in Afghanistan.

I want to say that makes 5 or 6 from that one platoon. It is tragic. I don't have the words......

That's him. I'll tell his story on here some day. A truly amazing man.

Top Bottom