Best way to "deal" with a skunk without getting sprayed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There's at least one, and probably more, that have taken up residence in/around our quiet little suburban cul-de-sac.

My wife & I are tired of it...and the neighbors even more so (They have dogs).

Any thoughts / advice on trapping & removing this little polecat without getting sprayed?

Note: Cannot involve the use of firearms due to legal restrictions.

-J-

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Set a box trap. Once you get the critter.....walk up with a tarp covering your body in the front and throw the tarp over the trap. Now you can pick the trap up leaving the tarp over the trap. I guess you could then set the trap on another tarp and wrap the bottom tarp over the top tarp. Then transport to where you want to release and reverse to release.

You could always use a bow.......

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Rent a live trap from any of the pest control places near you. Put a little bowl of cat food in it. When you catch him, take a regular bed sheet, wet it down real good. Hold it up in front of you as you approach the cage, and gently throw it over it. I used to be a maintence man at a apt. complex in Portage. We had to do this at least twice a week. The wet sheet really works. Good luck and have fun!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You know - I never thought of the "approach trap while shielding yourself with a tarp" deal.

Interesting. In other words - spraying's gonna happen no matter what, might as well just mitigate it.

This critter just oozes stink. It's walked under our open bedroom window twice in the last few weeks. Gotta shut the window or stink up the whole house. Sheesh.

AND it's crapping in my yard.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    LOTS of trappers use 10cc of acetone in a syringe on a pvc pole. Google "skunk pole" or "skunk dispatch pole", you'll get the idea and application technique.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't you have any friends with some NFA goodies that might camouflage the use of firearms to eliminate this pesky pest?

I may know a guy or 12.... Ahem.

But a suppressed .22 is still illegal. And I'd just as soon not get myself (or someone else) jammed up over a pest elimination.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They don't necessarily spray when you approach them. Don't leave them in the trap too long...the longer they are in there, the more irritated they become. We've trapped several. My husband has a big tractor innertube that he cut to make a "sheet" of rubber. He has a hole in it for the handle of the trap. He walks up slowly and CALMLY talks to the skunk as he approaches so it isn't surprised when that piece of rubber is placed over the trap.

He then puts it on the truck and takes it to where he wants to release it.

Don't forget to take a stick or something to prop the trap door open with so you can open it and walk away from it before the skunk exits the trap!

We've released many this way and the only one that ever sprayed was in the trap for several hours as he had forgotten about it. By the time he decided to take it for a ride, it was pretty cranky from being in that trap. It sprayed before he got the rubber "shield" in place.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I use a trap made from round PVC pipe. Skunk goes in, door closes. Skunk cannot spray since it cannot lift it's tail. FIL has my trap now so I can't check for sure but I believe the trap has a 6" opening, but not sure. Do a search for pics. Forgot where I ordered from but was not that expensive.

edit-check snare shop.com trap i have is very similar to the 2nd one down on their home page.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Approaching the trap walking backwards. They will think you are walking away and won't spray you.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    5_56mm_M193_Ball_455x338_r.png

Don't miss

PS This was a joke... :n00b:

Last edited:

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Trapped dozens of skunks over the years due to pole barns around us. Best method that has never failed me. Canned cat food in a box trap you can buy from any rurul king/bigR/tractor supply. When you catch the skunk...and you will because that cat food is like crack to them....Approach the cage with a soaking wet towel. Throw towel over cage pick up and haul away/dispose of as you see fit. The wet towel absorbs the spray if they choose to. However, I have never once had one spray using this method I have probably trapped close to 50.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Bribery.

Oh, or paint a white stripe on the back of your neighbor's cat, then the skunk gets all stalker and moves to your neighbor's place.

pepe-le-pew-warner-brothers-animation-30976078-1024-768.jpg

Top Bottom