"GamerGate" - The call for transparency and ethics reform in game industry media

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I waffled back and forth whether to post something about this here, or the political subforum. It's been going on for a few weeks now, and it's downright sickening the things that have happened. It's focused on "Social Justice Warriors", and steeped in militant feminism. It began with an Indie "game developer" named "Zoe Quinn" sleeping around to get her game noticed. Various websites (Reddit, 4Chan, etc) were censoring the topic outright.

It's sort of odd, but it also ties in with Robin Williams death, as Zoe's game was greenlit and released for free on Steam shortly after, titled "Depression Quest". However, it's very hard to explain if you haven't followed it from the beginning. I found a couple of "summaries", or "cliffs notes" versions of it...

What is gamergate? - Imgur
    Gamergate Explained - Imgur

Here's the latest big news:

Exposed: Secret mailing list group of huge gaming journalists where they plan what version of a news piece they will put out together.
    What drives the angry feminist journalists slating GamerGate?
    http://nichegamer.net/2014/09/gamergate-interview-anonymous-xbox-edition/
    Game journalism ethics is in need of change

... and Internet Aristocrat made some absolutely EXCELLENT videos on the topic. Be warned, they are very NSFW for language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmy5OKg6lo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3DZQp0StE

...another good video on the subject of men/women and gaming:

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=wABjRDy3Qbo&u=/watch?v=9MxqSwzFy5w&feature=share

...and TotalBiscuit's take on gaming journalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e78JRIHRjC0&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

Here's an article in Forbes

GamerGate: A Closer Look At The Controversy Sweeping Video Games - Forbes

Here's a comprehensive summary of events (NSFW language)

http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAct...times_people_heres_a_comprehensive_faq_about/

I also waffled on whether or not to post this in the Political subforum, due to its relation to feminism and, at times, politics in general:

https://medium.com/@cainejw/the-factual-feminist-a-factcheck-f5ae584f56da

There are some celebs getting in on the discussion. Notably Adam Baldwin

A few more thoughts on GamerGate « Hot Air
    GamerGate | Know Your Meme
    The Fine Young Capitalists' IndieGoGo Gets Support From The Last Ship's Adam Baldwin

I hope I've presented enough information here on the subject, so that we may discuss it. I know there are a lot of gamers here that may be unaware of what's going on.

I know the initial videos are long, but you can't really opine too greatly on this until you understand the timeline, and those are the only ones I've found so far that cover it in great detail.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

Wow. I've been involved in some indie game development over the years, but never saw anything like that!

I do know that emotions run deep, with people jumping teams and "leaks" that sometimes aren't leaks and hacks that sometimes aren't hacks.

It can be very telenovella-ish.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Alright , I made it through 11 minutes Internet Aristocrats first video then found myself dazing into my own depression quest and seriously considering shoving a sharp pencil in my ear .

Full disclosure , I play COD BO2 online , Dock-one .

She made a crap game that was never gonna see the light of day and she used the honey pot to get it off the ground .

So a chick used what God gave her to get what she wants in this life , that has been going on since time began and I'm wondering why I should give two ****s about this ?

The MSM lies to us ? Say it ain't so ! Again , two ****s ?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Alright , I made it through 11 minutes Internet Aristocrats first video then found myself dazing into my own depression quest and seriously considering shoving a sharp pencil in my ear .

Full disclosure , I play COD BO2 online , Dock-one .

She made a crap game that was never gonna see the light of day and she used the honey pot to get it off the ground .

So a chick used what God gave her to get what she wants in this life , that has been going on since time began and I'm wondering why I should give two ****s about this ?

The MSM lies to us ? Say it ain't so ! Again , two ****s ?

Far more to it. She fabricated a story about people "doxxing" her, attacking her online... which was proven false (and many other parts covered in the other videos). She used the defense of "being a woman", which rallied the SJW's to her cause, as well as the more corrupt journalists. The brightest lights were shone on it when sites like Reddit and 4Chan were actively censoring and banning users that even discussed it.

You glossed the surface, but the "two ****s" are certainly there.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    I consider myself a gamer but have never even heard of **** like this. I guess I'm not into Indy games or whatever that **** is.

Honestly, I think everyone needs to grow thicker skin and stop wearing their feelings on their sleeve

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    This is what I see.

1) SJWs manufactured outrage for profit. Again.
    2) Gamers are embarrassed publicly since they let the little head lead the big head, even though they think and possibly say they're not like that

:dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The whole indie game dev scene is kinda a brave new world without any real rules or constraints. Kinda like all the unwritten baseball rules.

Is it male dominated? Sure. Guess who does most of the c0d1ng. Young male c0d3r geeks with lackluster interpersonal sk33lz. Can women code? Sure. But they have to understand going into it what the scene is like. Looks like Zoe is picking and [STRIKE]choozing[/STRIKE] choosing certain parts to use for her benefit. I don't see anything wrong with it in the big picture.

Maybe this will bring some maturity to the situation, but I doubt it. With that maturity might come the realization that few people are truly altruistic - men, women, journalists, game devs, game players, game publishers, development tool developers, etc.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I've been following this on another site, and what I could gather was basically;
    - someone allegedly slept around to get favourable reviews
    - same person sabotaged a games event because it competed with hers
    - this person got called out on it
    - games journalists start publishing articles not on the accusations, but that gamers are misogynists/racists/homophobes
    - accusations of corruption and nepotism in gaming journalism
    - SJWs get involved
    - lots of name calling and accusations which do their intended purpose of distracting from the actual topic at hand

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've been following this on another site, and what I could gather was basically;
    - someone allegedly slept around to get favourable reviews
    - same person sabotaged a games event because it competed with hers
    - this person got called out on it
    - games journalists start publishing articles not on the accusations, but that gamers are misogynists/racists/homophobes
    - accusations of corruption and nepotism in gaming journalism
    - SJWs get involved
    - lots of name calling and accusations which do their intended purpose of distracting from the actual topic at hand

Sooooooo, uber nerd war? Mmmkay, thanks.:coffee:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sooooooo, uber nerd war? Mmmkay, thanks.:coffee:

I think the entire story has something about using labels like "nerd"...

Consider that some of these "nerds" run YouTube channels that gross millions and millions of dollars a year. Just watching them play games and talk about games.

I wouldn't write it off as some "nerd" story that only pertains to "nerds". Imagine if the entire genre of this story were changed to something different... such as sports, or gun enthusiast groups, or movie/TV producers. It'd get a bit more attention.

Top YouTube earners: http://www.businessinsider.com/richest-youtube-stars-2014-3?op=1

Nearly all gaming-related.

Gaming is a legitimate business, and currently it's quite tainted and corrupt. These "journalists" and their lack of integrity actually cost people their livelihoods.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    It's really just a butthurt-a-thon...

She's butthurt because she can't compete as a programer/game maker because she believed the SJWs.

The industry is butthurt because after dongle-gate, they doubled down on the dumb to appease more SJWs in hope of gettin' some, but just got sold a first class ticket on the FAIL-boat.

Dudes are butthurt because she "cheated" and used what the SJWs told them didn't matter because, like, we're all the same and sex differences aren't differences, and what not.

I'm butthurt because these dudes that threw their integrity down the drain for way less then what they could have gotten with a real prostitute when they shelled out for the gamer girl or whatever.

Nerd no longer means what it did before, people gotta stop pretending it does and grow up. Sort of like that other n word... :twocents:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Nerd no longer means what it did before, people gotta stop pretending it does and grow up. Sort of like that other n word... :twocents:

It's definitely not the term of derision it once was. My coworker has a son the qualifies as a nerd by any standard definition. Socially awkward, very smart, into computers, etc. I always tell my daughter that her current boyfriend is ok for high school, but my coworker's boy is marriage material. What he lacks in social skills, he makes up for in earning potential.;)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If anyone's still following, here's a collection:

Introduction Video To Evidence of Corruption
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEMdf8D0lfw

GJP gets Uncovered
    Exposed: The Secret Mailing List of the Gaming Journalism Elite

Ars Technica Responds to Allegations of Collusion
    The E-mails That Prove Video Games Journalism Must be Reformed

How do Game Journalists react to being exposed?
    'They're On To Us': Gaming Journalists Respond to Critics in Newly Revealed GameJournoPros Emails

Fired Journalists and other GJP Corruption.
    #GamerGate: Destructoid, Corruption And Ruined Careers | One Angry Gamer

(Further Verification Needed) Internal Emails from The Guardian Colluding with VICE to Dismiss GamerGate as an "idiotic campaign"
    Internal Email Shows Guardian Had Mind Made Up on GamerGate

This is not the first time the media has done this, the original Journolist was used by journalists to collude for left wing ideas and declared critics to Obama Racists Fred Barnes: The Vast Left-Wing Media Conspiracy - WSJ

More and more advertisers are pulling their services from Gawker media:

Gawker: 'Dishonest Fascists' of GamerGate Could Cost Us 'Millions'

They aren't happy about it:

Gawker: Our Advertisers Are Scum, Who Needs Them Anyway? | The Daily Caller

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can't really justify putting in the time to update this thread on the constant happenings in the Gamergate movement... simply since it doesn't seem to have an interest here. This does confound me, though... since Gamergate has a lot in common with people that would be pro-freedom/pro-gun/anti-leftist/anti-militant feminist... It's easy to participate in these groups because of the similarities, the common enemies.

Either way, I'll just leave a link with some of the achievements the movement has made since it's inception back in August of 2014. Many sites and advertisers making moves, others shaping up to broader disclosure.

GamerGate Achievements - GamerGate Wiki

This is the relevant subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For me, I really appreciate the updates. :) I'm not really in that world anymore, so I don't follow it like I want to.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    This is the first time that I have seen this thread. I do game still but I am not much as much. Thanks for all the updates and when I get a moment I will check it out.

Top Bottom