Have a security camera? Police want to know!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you think?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not really sure how I feel about it. On the surface it seems like a good idea, but what if it led to self-incrimination? Not sure what the legal ramifications would be in that case but maybe one of our resident legal beagles can chime in. I think it would probably be best if it was on a voluntary basis.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    No thanks! I don't like being forced to do anything. If they knocked on my door because they saw I had a camera that was pointed in the right direction I'd help them out. But I would refuse to register my cameras

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    My cameras, my business. If something happens and the cameras happen to capture it, I'll voluntarily submit copies of the footage.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It would appear to be voluntary. I doubt they could force it.

Just a few +'s and -'s:
    Pluses: Easy to know if there is any immediate video recordings maybe leading to a faster arrest.

Minus's: the wrong people getting ahold of the locations and they just commit crime elsewhere.

As well as the other concerns you guys have brought up...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't understand how this would speed anything up. It's not like SBPD is going to feed every camera into a Batman like display.

If there is a reason to investigate, the cops/detectives ask the store owner for the "tape" for the cameras, and then, if the detective is good, he goes and walks up and down the street for the other cameras (across the street, back door, etc.). Most store owners will cooperate with a request, but some corporate stores, or cranky old guys, may require a subpoena.

Since the cops have to go out to a scene, I fail to see how this "speeds up an investigation".

Enlighten me.

Chief Morgan Freeman, SBPD, reviews his new crime-fighting tool:

view

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I think their idea is when they get to crime scene they already know who has cameras and can go to them for video right away instead of walking around looking for camera locations? This is just my :twocents: but I feel it would leave those people/businesses open to retaliation from said thugs!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The problem is that the list is voluntary and will not be updated with new cameras.

The better detectives will walk it old school.

Unidentified INGO detective investigating Robbery . . . from 1953.

johnny%20dollar.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I don't understand how this would speed anything up. It's not like SBPD is going to feed every camera into a Batman like display.

If there is a reason to investigate, the cops/detectives ask the store owner for the "tape" for the cameras, and then, if the detective is good, he goes and walks up and down the street for the other cameras (across the street, back door, etc.). Most store owners will cooperate with a request, but some corporate stores, or cranky old guys, may require a subpoena.

Since the cops have to go out to a scene, I fail to see how this "speeds up an investigation".

Enlighten me.

Chief Morgan Freeman, SBPD, reviews his new crime-fighting tool:

view

If they knew that a camera was record a specific area they'd know they could ask that person for footage. That has to be faster then knocking on doors and waiting for people to come forward with video. So I can see that and advantage. I am not supporting this. Just commenting.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    None of their [bad word] business. They want video, I'll trim it myself and submit it if it'll solve a crime in my neighborhood, but they don't get the contents of my HD. I have cameras inside. In fact, I've aimed my outside cameras with a good bit of care to see to it I'm not recording anything outside my curtilage. I get a few wedges of neighbors' yards, but nothing but grass out to the useful resolution of my cameras.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    None of their [bad word] business.

If you got a warrant you might as well come on in . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pafY6sZt0FE

They want video, I'll trim it myself and submit it if it'll solve a crime in my neighborhood, but they don't get the contents of my HD.

Ummm, I wouldn't do that.

Wait, by "trim" do you mean edit or is this some techie term?

If they knew that a camera was record a specific area they'd know they could ask that person for footage.

The better detectives are going to ask anywho.

A voluntary, incomplete listing which will prove so feckless that the coppers will curse it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I wouldn't edit anything out. I'd want to have the crime solved as much as anyone, and wouldn't withhold any evidence that could help. I would just trim it down to the pertinent part, to save them the time. They don't need to watch me gardening or mowing the lawn or replacing the alt on my truck. They also get only the pertinent channels. If the suspected crime happened in view of the front yard, they don't need the channel recording my basement. That's all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No thanks! I don't like being forced to do anything. If they knocked on my door because they saw I had a camera that was pointed in the right direction I'd help them out. But I would refuse to register my cameras

exactly. If there is an incident, they start looking around. When they see a camera, they will come and ask for video. I've seen this firsthand. I also am coincidentally watching "First 48" and in this episode they do exactly that. Neighbor had a cam so they sought it out.

You dont need a registry. Boots on the ground can and will see them if they need footage.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unless the cams are hidden/camouflaged/pin-hole-type.

And I agree with the prevailing sentiments. Let them come and ask. Let them come with a warrant. Either way, they get nothing without my cooperation, since any video security system of mine will be IP-based and the "footage" will be found in about 4-hour long digital video files smeared across a RAID-5 array and encrypted with a 4096-bit key that the system holds in memory, loses on power-down, and which only I have for boot purposes. Battery, as well as off-site data, backups rock.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    If I had footage that would help solve a crime, I would gladly turn it over to the police.
    I think we all would.
    But that is different than having some SWAT team with a no knock warrant show up at your door to confiscate the footage.
    And you know that is what could happen.
    Probably will happen, eventually, if the listing were implemented.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    ... any video security system of mine will be IP-based and the "footage" will be found in about 4-hour long digital video files smeared across a RAID-5 array and encrypted with a 4096-bit key that the system holds in memory, loses on power-down, and which only I have for boot purposes. Battery, as well as off-site data, backups rock.

Hey, wait ... that's the same setup Lois Lerner had, isn't it? :laugh:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If I had footage that would help solve a crime, I would gladly turn it over to the police.
    I think we all would.
    But that is different than having some SWAT team with a no knock warrant show up at your door to confiscate the footage.
    And you know that is what could happen.
    Probably will happen, eventually, if the listing were implemented.

It would take time, but this could easily be the result. Once the departments have gotten used to being able to get any footage they want from anyone that has a camera then they will take it for granted and feel entitled to it.

Top Bottom