• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    INGO'ers, I'm looking for advise on a good remote for our Xfinity X1 DVR. It came with the XR2 remote, but that remote doesn't allow but for the dvr and tv to be programmed. We use a sound bar for our tv sound, and with the XR2 remote, we are SOL. Suggestions on a good quality infrared remote would be appreciated!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'll check it out. I have to find something that will be easy for the wife to use, she isn't the "techiest" of people. :)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I agree on harmony. they're the only ones I could ever get to work with a plethora of stuff. plug into your laptop/computer and program them.
    they are pricey... but I think I had bought 3 cheap universal remotes before I finally bought the harmony, and kicked myself in the ass for wasting money on the 3 cheapies.

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I bought one at WalMart that was pretty simple and did like 4 or 5 items that wasn't very techy so that could be wife friendly. I think it was like 30 bucks even, but that's been years ago so may be more now. And as mentioned, hook up to PC and program with make/model and you're good to go.

Edit, was a Harmony

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Harmony again. I think the ultra high end harmony remotes now do Bluetooth, but you are looking at hundreds for those.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Harmony. I also went through a multitude of cheaper much worse options before finally getting a Harmony. They make several models so you can get one exactly as simple or advanced as you desire. I use a 300 for our tv sound bar blu ray and DVr.

Biggest thing for me was that when you set it up you can tell the volume to ALWAYS control the sound bar and not the tv which is a huge plus depending on how you have your tv/ sound bar volume controls set up.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I just read all of the reviews for the Android / iOS app for the Harmony remotes. It got horrible reviews across the board. I was thinking of upgrading to the model that can control all of my devices from my iPad, but guess I'll wait until they fix the software.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just read all of the reviews for the Android / iOS app for the Harmony remotes. It got horrible reviews across the board. I was thinking of upgrading to the model that can control all of my devices from my iPad, but guess I'll wait until they fix the software.

Im not a fan. Personally I'll just stick with the remote itself. The only bonuses I have seen with the tablet/phone apps are that they have a keyboard. The only time I use my Roku app is when I need to search for a show. Otherwise I reach for the remote. If you are too lazy to put down your ipad so you can reach for the actual remote, you have issues. :):

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I just got the harmony 650, very easy to program w/usb online.

It even had my 14 year old Yamaha receiver in there.

Jimmy

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Harmony 1100 and don't look back. Had the 550 before and it was good, but the 1100 is a whole different beast, for the better. I was hesitant at first because of the size, but its so easy to use even my parents can use it when they come over.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Harmony 1100 and don't look back. Had the 550 before and it was good, but the 1100 is a whole different beast, for the better. I was hesitant at first because of the size, but its so easy to use even my parents can use it when they come over.

Dang! For the price of that I can get the Smith & Wesson Shield I have been debating about! :D Im going to get the Harmony 650 amd give it a try. I'm sure I will like it, it's just a matter of the wife liking it too.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Dang! For the price of that I can get the Smith & Wesson Shield I have been debating about! :D Im going to get the Harmony 650 amd give it a try. I'm sure I will like it, it's just a matter of the wife liking it too.

We had the harmony 1000 in Edinburgh and hated it. Looked cool, but didn't work well. 650 is fine for our current application.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not "too lazy". I have old eyes and the Harmony 600 has a micro-miniature screen. I just thought the tablet would be easier to see and control.

Jeez. Harsh.

OK, you get a pass. Sorry getting jaded by the "my phone/tablet can do anything" mentality. (you obviously are not part of that crowd)

Top Bottom