Mechanic/employees use car for personal business?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    On Tuesday, I dropped off my Elantra to the mechanic because of a broken valve stem - I asked him to rotate the tires while they had it in the shop. I told the owner I would be out of town until Friday, but would stop in & pick it up as soon as I got back. When I picked it up on Friday, I got in & noticed that there was a McDonalds receipt on the passenger seat from earlier in the day. I figured no big deal - they drove it down the street to check it out after rotating the tires, but when I looked a little closer I noticed that more than 30 miles had been driven since I dropped it off on Tuesday. My wife is seriously miffed; I'm irritated, but not too bent about it...what do you guys and gals think? Is this standard procedure or do I bring it up with my mechanic?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    It's not as common as it once was, but it still is done as a course of business. I wouldn't mind as long as they're insured and don't burn up a tank of gas.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a friend who turns wrenches on stuff I do not want to do. On time I dropped off my Yukon with a full tank of gas. Five days later I picked it up and it was empty, I was not pleased. Now when I drop off a car I write down the miles ( leave a copy of them on the passenger seat ) and drop the truck near empty on fuel.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I remember taking my POS new Mustang back to Harold Zigler Ford in Elkhart for the dozen time. I was told that the mechanic drove it all weekend and it was great. they took their kids to the beach and put 150 miles on it. Bla bla bla. I wrote the mileage down on a piece of paper and suck it in the glove box. I asked the manager to grab the paper in the box and read what it said. It tallied up to .25 miles. Needless to sad i don't deal with them anymore! And i tell this story when I can.

If it was just a simple issue I had fixed I'd be ticked. If it was a drive line problem I would be ok with it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I towed an IMPD undercover vehicle that was being driven by an exhaust shop owner. He was supposed to be replacing the exhaust but had taken the city-owned plates off and his own on and had been driving it as his personal car. He doesn't work on city vehicles any longer.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    for something like a valve stem fix, I wouldn't be too miffed about a 30 mile test drive to get it up to highway speeds, hit McD's and go back to the shop.

Same here. Something major I wouldn't care if they took a long test drive to be sure I wouldn't have to bring it back anytime soon. I'd be more concerned if they didn't. The McD's receipt would be more concerning to me, but that's just me.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I towed an IMPD undercover vehicle that was being driven by an exhaust shop owner. He was supposed to be replacing the exhaust but had taken the city-owned plates off and his own on and had been driving it as his personal car. He doesn't work on city vehicles any longer.
    Epic fail!

Same here. Something major I wouldn't care if they took a long test drive to be sure I wouldn't have to bring it back anytime soon. I'd be more concerned if they didn't. The McD's receipt would be more concerning to me, but that's just me.
    Around here the Micky D's are about 2 miles apart. 30 miles to grab a burger seems far. Dunno:dunno:

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I trust the owner, and probably wouldn't be too ticked if it was him, but I don't know any of his employees or their habits...I guess that reaffirms why you don't permit a search of your vehicle if stopped, right?

Well, DW is SUPER-pissed now...I guess she found the McD's trash on the floor in the back...Sounds like I will be talking to the shop owner on Monday. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...

:xmad:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Hope you don't get a traffic cam ticket in the mail.

Several years ago an IPD officer dropped his cruiser off at the city garage for some work on it. While it was still at the garage he was made aware ofan IA complaint that accused him of pulling up in his marked car and showing women his goods. Turned out it was the mechanic taking the car out and doing it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Upset or not, I would at least inquire about it. I know people really don't care about doing the right thing anymore, but when it's my property they are using/abusing, I would ateast have them look me in the eye and tell me what happened.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Copy ticket, copy maintenance invoice.
    Send copies back to show you weren't in possession.

Regardless, you're being accused and charged with something you didn't do. Why should it be on you to straighten it out? You think the entity that issues the ticket cares?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My ex-husband wrapped a customer's car around a utility pole once while out screwing around with it. His daddy (owner of the business) called the customer and told them it was going to take longer than expected to get the parts to fix their car (was actually already fixed and the customer had not been called yet to pick it up when this happened). Car went to the body shop and got fixed and the customer picked it up, never knowing it was severely damaged by idiot son of business owner.

There are many reasons he became an ex...idiocy was just one of them. I could write a book.

Customer was very appreciative of the "detail job" that they did while the car was there as an apology for how long it took to get the parts. :ugh:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Regardless, you're being accused and charged with something you didn't do. Why should it be on you to straighten it out? You think the entity that issues the ticket cares?

So what's different than being charged/accused of murder when you didn't do it? They say you meet the description, you have a gun etc.
    Then you bring evidence it wasn't you.

I'm ni0ot arguing for the stupid cameras. I think there should be no remote control or automatic citations.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I worked a while in a car shop. Especially for something like a vibration or front end work I would take a little longer test drive to get to a place to get it up to highway speed. I would sometimes pick up a soft drink or a burger along the way, but it wasn't a bunch of miles, and I sure did not disrespect the owner by leaving my trash behind. That just shows low class.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    On Tuesday, I dropped off my Elantra to the mechanic because of a broken valve stem - I asked him to rotate the tires while they had it in the shop. I told the owner I would be out of town until Friday, but would stop in & pick it up as soon as I got back. When I picked it up on Friday, I got in & noticed that there was a McDonalds receipt on the passenger seat from earlier in the day. I figured no big deal - they drove it down the street to check it out after rotating the tires, but when I looked a little closer I noticed that more than 30 miles had been driven since I dropped it off on Tuesday. My wife is seriously miffed; I'm irritated, but not too bent about it...what do you guys and gals think? Is this standard procedure or do I bring it up with my mechanic?

Maybe we can put it up on blocks and see if we can run it in reverse before your dad gets home.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Upset or not, I would at least inquire about it. I know people really don't care about doing the right thing anymore, but when it's my property they are using/abusing, I would ateast have them look me in the eye and tell me what happened.

Yep. It could have been an oversight. It's possible the guy had good intentions to clean up after himself and got distracted and forgot. Of course that's assuming a 30 mile test drive would be expected for the repair being done. I'm leaving my car for you to repair and insure quality control. I'm not leaving it there as an supplemental fleet car.

Top Bottom