• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'mm looking for suggestions on dealing with this. I have been seeing a well known poditrist for the last 4 months or so. Along with the plantar fasciitis, I also have a bone spur that has developed. The Dr. has tried orthotics twice with no results. The second set which I picked up last week are even worse than the first. I understand that there is a break in time frame with them, but I can't literally stand with them for more than a few minutes due to the pain. He also wants to give me a cortizone shot, which I keep telling him no on.(I have had 3 cortizone injections in my life, and NONE of them did anything).

Other than doing the stretches (which I do daily) and the PT that he prescibed (which I have not started yet) does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at my wit's end with this. I'm going to talk to my primary doctor and get a recommendation for a different podiatrist or othopedist, other than that, I don't know what to try.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    I guess I would suggest a second opinion. Within 2 weeks of receiving my orthotic inserts for my shoes, I was basically "cured". Took me forever to actually make myself go to doc for it, but once I got them I was very happy I did

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I feel your pain as I have dealt with it off and on for about 15 years. Fortunately for me, orthotics have worked well. When it flares up, it takes 6-8 weeks for the orthotics to give relief. I've given up going without orthotics anymore to avoid it coming back. Not 100% relief but tolerable.
    PS, stretching and PT never helped me a bit.

Matt

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I am working through it right now. First bout with it. Probably been going on for most of a year now...9 months at the least. Just went to doc about 4 weeks ago. He gave me a weird boot to wear in bed that helps keep my foot stretched. It helps pretty well. I haven't been as good about doing the stretches as I should...but trying to get better.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Haven't heard of the boot! I can't imagine me using it though. I don't sleep well anyway, let along with a boot stretching my foot out!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I feel your pain as I have dealt with it off and on for about 15 years. Fortunately for me, orthotics have worked well. When it flares up, it takes 6-8 weeks for the orthotics to give relief. I've given up going without orthotics anymore to avoid it coming back. Not 100% relief but tolerable.
    PS, stretching and PT never helped me a bit.

Matt
    I went through a bout of it about a year ago. Fortunately, I think mine was a temporary, injury-induced version since I have had no problems once it healed. Mine took a few months to heal up, in part because I did not discontinue my martial arts classes, which are done on bare feet, a huge no-no with PF. I iced after classes and whenever the pain seemed worse. There is also a taping job you can do to help support. I had to start wearing shoes every waking moment. This was a big deal for me since I never wear shoes indoors, and often go barefoot outside (or essentially barefoot since Mr88GT swears that my $2 Walmart flip-flops don't count as footwear). I was able to use some off-the-rack arch supports designed for plantar fasciitis support. Aside from that stretches and making sure I slept with my foot flexed (as much as possible). I still get twinges of the pain now and then, but nothing like the searing pain I would have when it was at its worse.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Haven't heard of the boot! I can't imagine me using it though. I don't sleep well anyway, let along with a boot stretching my foot out!
    The boot just keeps the foot flexed. We tend to sleep with the toes pointed. Pointed allows the muscles involved in PF to relax. When we wake and flex the foot, it stretches those muscles "violently" and that's where the morning pain comes in. I never wore the boot, just tried to keep it flexed on my own. I had to wear a soft cast for a fractured ankle when I was in high school. I knew I wouldn't sleep with the boot on.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I've been battling it in both feet for about 3 years. I'm to the point that surgery is needed to fix it. For some relief I take frozen water bottles and roll my feet on them.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've been battling it in both feet for about 3 years. I'm to the point that surgery is needed to fix it. For some relief I take frozen water bottles and roll my feet on them.

Honestly, Im wondering if thats my option. I think most of the pain I feel is from the bone spur, but my current doctor doesn't agree.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    I've had it for about 5 years. This year it got really bad that I went to a podiatrist. I got 400 $ orthotic insoles that helped a little. Also have the boot that I wear at night or when I'm sitting in the recliner . I have to wear shoes in the house and can't go barefoot at any time. Stretching didn't help at all or rolling my feet on frozen water bottles. Rolling my feet on tennis balls has helped the best. Has anybody tried the Good Feet stores around Indy. I may try them if I don't get any relief. I'm on my feet all day long and it is getting unbearable

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's been checked and my number are normal.

What were the actual numbers?
    TSH for starters?
    If it was much above 1.0 or so, you need to see a different doctor.
    As someone who's been hypothyroid since 2000, I've learned that the number range called "normal", typically .5 - 5.5, is wrong.
    If you don't have a copy of your tests, you should get them.

I also had plantar fasciitis, and within a few weeks of being treated, the symptoms went away and have never returned.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Been fighting it myself:
    1) Using Alieve, helping.
    2) Frozen Bottle rolling under feet helps me.
    3) Boot def., helps me, before boot, walking in morning = Peg leg like.
    4) Working Saturdays = Concrete all day long = Hello Pain

Really hoping being off over Thanksgiving will help

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    What were the actual numbers?
    TSH for starters?
    If it was much above 1.0 or so, you need to see a different doctor.
    As someone who's been hypothyroid since 2000, I've learned that the number range called "normal", typically .5 - 5.5, is wrong.
    If you don't have a copy of your tests, you should get them.

I also had plantar fasciitis, and within a few weeks of being treated, the symptoms went away and have never returned.

IIRC, my last bloodtest was .3. I will double check with my doc when I see him in a couple of weeks. A few years ago it got up to 3.0 so we have been keeping an eye on it and it came back down. No idea why it creaped up and back, best guess was I had an infection. My wife has hypothyroidism so I'm fairly familiar with it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'mm looking for suggestions on dealing with this. I have been seeing a well known poditrist for the last 4 months or so. Along with the plantar fasciitis, I also have a bone spur that has developed. The Dr. has tried orthotics twice with no results. The second set which I picked up last week are even worse than the first. I understand that there is a break in time frame with them, but I can't literally stand with them for more than a few minutes due to the pain. He also wants to give me a cortizone shot, which I keep telling him no on.(I have had 3 cortizone injections in my life, and NONE of them did anything).

Other than doing the stretches (which I do daily) and the PT that he prescibed (which I have not started yet) does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at my wit's end with this. I'm going to talk to my primary doctor and get a recommendation for a different podiatrist or othopedist, other than that, I don't know what to try.

Nothing worked for my wife and she ended up having surgery. Good luck.

Top Bottom