• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    My old Garmin Nuvi gave up the ghost, so I'm going to need to get a new one. Can anyone recommend an affordable but reliable GPS unit, the type to mount to your windshield, not a hand held? Thanks!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    android phone? lol

They depend on a constant data connection, unless you download the route and stick to it.

If cell reception is spotty, your map app will fail to work, and some chargers cannot keep up with demand and it can drain the battery even while on the charger.

This happened to us this year in the Northern Michigan going from Naubinway to Petoskey and then down to Gaylord and back to Naubinway, our 1 amp charger could not keep up, the phone would get hot and would stop charging until it would cool down, at the end of the trip the phone ended up with less power than when we left despite the charger.

We reverted to our 2007 Tom-Tom one.

Always have a back-up plan.

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I'm a Garmin fan. I have a Dezl750 that I use in the semi. The 7" screen is awesome. I also use it in my P/U. The standard window mount that came it has been more than sufficient. It also has lifetime map updates and traffic alerts. Best Buy price (last year) was $330

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Garmin fan here as well. When I use my android phone I find the navigation is not easy to use while driving. Probably need a better app for navigation. Not sure.

Top Bottom