• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    So, since me and my girlfriend are moving into an apartment together in July, we have been accumulating stuff, (essentials), to fill it with.

One of the things we knew we needed was a coffee table. Well I'm cheap and furniture is not. So long story short, I told my girlfriend I could build one for much cheaper than we could buy one.

So she found plans on the internet that were modeled after a Pottery Barn coffee table. She gave me the plans and told me that could be her Christmas present.

So after looking over the plans and figuring out a plan of attack, and a good deal of frustration trying to find usable wood from the all 3 big box stores, I got started

Forgive the cellphone pictures, i was snapping photos of my progress as I was working.

Let's begin:

Luckily my dad has a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig that we got him as a Christmas gift a few years ago. He hasn't used it yet, but now wants me to teach him haha.

The sides. Framed out with 2x2, as is the rest of the table. Inset 3/4" plywood.

x3af47.jpg

Sides connected with more 2x2. The table is now framed out.

2rwwd2o.jpg

346xmqa.jpg

I had improved on the written plans as I went along, because I deemed the original plans far to weak for something that should be of quality.

Added drawer dividers on the bottom. There will be 6 drawers, 3 on each side. Then I added extra support in the middle, between the top two levels, which will come into play when the shelves are on. I also added two small feet in the same line as the support between the top 2 levels.

2db4hv4.jpg

2m4ejo5.jpg

mrpuef.jpg

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Adding the bottom shelf with drawer guides and stops. The shelf is 1/2" plywood and the stops are 1x2.
    This was also the last picture I sent my girlfriend, because I want her to be surprised. It is a Christmas gift after all.

2dwenmu.jpg

Here is another, and probably the most important, area where I improved upon the original plans. The original builder simply made shelf supports on the inside of the 2x2s with scrap wood so that the shelf would just sit in the frame. Yes he just left the shelves sitting in there... Sorry that's not good enough for me.

So instead of putting in shelf supports I Kreg jigged the shelf right into the 2x2 and then cut my own strips out of extra 3/4" plywood to provide extra strength/support, as well as warp protection. those strips were Kreg jigged into the 2x2 and then screwed into the bottom of the shelf.

This is exactly how I will be doing the middle and top shelf as well. I know it's overkill, but this has to be of high quality. I wanted it to be as sturdy as possible, and this method didn't cost any extra, since I already had extra wood, so there's no reason not to overbuild. Like I said, I deemed the original plans far too weak for anything resembling a coffee table.

Underside showing attachment and support. Can you say solid?

9ixq1w.jpg

Installed the second shelf using the same method shown and described above

mto5uf.jpg

Middle shelf is also 1/2" plywood

nq4kee.jpg

I forgot to mention that the dimensions are roughly 2' by 4' and 18 inches high

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Putting in the top shelf using the same method I showed earlier, except this time I used 3/4" plywood for the table top because I wanted it to be that much more solid where it counts, that being the surface where things will be put on.

2m6labk.jpg

This is where the center supports come into play. That's a 45 inch span that I did not want to sag over time.

35d25h2.jpg

Really coming together now.

2pt5dah.jpg

Just to be sure I sat and even layed down on the table without so much as a creak. That probably would have broken it if I followed the original plans.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Time to add the 6 hand built drawers. I didn't get pictures of assembly, but they are basically boxes using, 1x10 for the bottom, 1x6 for the sides and back, and 1x8 for the faces, and Kreg jigged together.

The drawers will be flush, I just didn't put them in all the way without having the knobs on. I didn't want to have to dig the drawers out for the sake of a picture.

Each drawer is numbered, with Sharpie on the back, and matched to a specific spot, since each one basically had to be custom fit. Nothing is ever perfectly square and my table is no exception. So knowing that going into it, I built each drawer one at a time and made sure they fit.

2rnelo1.jpg

This is how I put the drawers in. Again, the written plans weren't quite up to par with my expectations. They had the drawers just sitting on the bottom shelf. The plans were also written with clearance on the sides for drawer slides.

I didn't think installing drawer slides would be necessary so I split the difference. I used left over 1/2" plywood and cut my own strips to serve as slides. This won't be as smooth as the track slides, but since the contact surface is reduced greatly they will still slide well. Also, since I did not want to use the side mounted tracks, I widened the drawers so they are more efficient for storage.

1g53ic.jpg

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    That's as far as I have gotten at this time. The table isn't perfect. Some of the joints are not as flush as I had hoped they would be, but this is my first time building anything of real importance, and it's only evident if you fully inspect the table. I'm sure most people won't notice.

I am by no means an expert. I have made a few mistakes, and had a few mishaps (luckily nothing noticeable unless you knew it happened), but overall have really enjoyed the project.

Next up is staining and coating with satin polyurethane. I am going with Minwax Jacobean stain. It is a nice dark brown stain. I also am going to use low key, antique brass knobs on the drawers. I went with single knobs instead of wide pulls, because I wanted something simple and low key. The antique brass is perfect too because it goes with just about any color, and isn't flashy.

I will update more as I continue. Should be staining starting Tuesday.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Looks great! Fun working with wood and building your own stuff, isnt' it?

It is! Thanks for the kind words guys. I've always been pretty handy and creative, and preferred making over buying if i could. So after seeing how much rent is going to be, and currently being unsure of my future income, i figured building would be a better option.

Not to mention it's going to mean that much more since it's hand built. I think i may even sign the bottom of it and slap on a Made in USA sticker if i can find one haha.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    It's a trap! Although that is very nice, if that is all you get her for Christmas you will be in deep :poop:

you underestimate us. Some women are very happy with things like that. The year I got my Dyson for Christmas made me real happy. Yes, that was all I got too.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Looks great! Like seeing the Kreg jig being put to use - love mine.

Besides plywood, is that just pine from the big box stores? Any milling done to it before using it, or fairly flat and square from the store? Also, what all tools did you use during the project?

I am intrigued and curious because I'm wanting to do some similar projects this winter. I don't have a jointer or planer, so trying to see what limitations there are with S4S from the big box stores.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Looks great! Like seeing the Kreg jig being put to use - love mine.

Besides plywood, is that just pine from the big box stores? Any milling done to it before using it, or fairly flat and square from the store? Also, what all tools did you use during the project?

Yea its all pine from the stores. I did have to go to Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes though. The wood at hHome Depot was total crap though so I didn't even get any from there. Their sheets of plywood weren't even flat so I moved on.

The majority of it came from Menards, but even that took alot of digging to find acceptable pieces. A few of the pieces were higher than standard grade, because that's all I could do if I wanted it done.

I had to get the 2x2s from Lowes because Menards only had horrible looking cedar. The 2x2 were not high quality by any means, but they sanded up pretty darn good. Luckily Lowes gets them shipped with 4 strapped together so i just had to dig a little bit to get pretty straight ones.

As far as tools I have been using a corded power drill, a 12v impact driver, the Kreg Jr. jig, various clamps, mitre, circular, and table saws, palm sander, and glue.

Oh and a propane torpedo heater in the garage has kept this all possible. Round of applause for Mr. Heater haha.

I dont have any milling tools so I just got the best inexpensive wood of standard grade I could find. I wanted it to be the best quality I could do but still be a budget piece.

I'm a part time worker fresh out of college, waiting to move out and hopefully find a real job, so no way i could afford all perfectly milled, furniture grade wood. Not to mention never having done something like this before, the possibility of messing up furniture grade wood is out of the question. Besides I like making things better, so just using standard grade wood is part of the challenge.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    It's a trap! Although that is very nice, if that is all you get her for Christmas you will be in deep :poop:

Isnt the only thing I'm getting her, but definitely the main thing. She already got me Weather Tech Floor Liners for my car. We are both to the point in our lives where useful gifts trump gifts for enjoyment.

I am planning on building us matching bedside tables as well, but i don't think those will be done by Christmas at this rate.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Isnt the only thing I'm getting her, but definitely the main thing. She already got me Weather Tech Floor Liners for my car. We are both to the point in our lives where useful gifts trump gifts for enjoyment.

I am planning on building us matching bedside tables as well, but i don't think those will be done by Christmas at this rate.

Sounds like you found a good one, then. :yesway:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    It appears you only used one pocket screw to hold the back of the drawers to the sides.

?

I did. I figured it was pretty strong since that area isn't very wide. But i also glued the joints and hammered in finishing nails on the corners and edges where there weren't pocket holes near by. So i nailed the 4 back corners and nailed 1 in between the 2 pockets holes on the bottom that connect the back and bottom, as well as 3 nails along the sides connecting the bottom in support of 2 pocket holes. Should be plenty secure.

The drawer faces are higher quality wood which were nice and flat so I'm confident the glue and 1 pocket hole won't cause me any issues.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom