• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I used a 3 point hitch auger when I was a young man, like any farm equipment you need to be careful with them. Use a metal post pounder now, it's easier to install and remove steel T posts.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think I found a workable solution.... A good friend is going to give me one that has been sitting in a field for 15-20 years..... For that price I can afford to put some parts into it to get it running again. Going to pick it up today.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I just put a few hundred feet of fence in using a three point drill (ran off the pto). Easy to get the holes straight.

I thought the utility co would plant poles for super cheap ... Might be worth a call to them...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    these are old poles from the power company that I am going to use for deck supports, fence bracing, livestock barn, and kids playhouse. Not power poles to run overhead lines.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    these are old poles from the power company that I am going to use for deck supports, fence bracing, livestock barn, and kids playhouse. Not power poles to run overhead lines.

Enjoy the work. We finally bought a hydraulic pounder. You can drive a 10" section of phone pole with it in certain types of moist ground but if it's dry you gotta point the post and pre-dig a smaller hole. It'll drive landscape timbers all day long. 6" locust posts? Not a problem.

Having set many, MANY posts with an anger, my advice is keep a set of wrenches and a piece of rebar that will fit through the auger's bolt holes handy. If it catches and doesn't sever a root, it will screw itself right down into the ground and the pto is not reversible and you'll have to unbolt it and screw it out manually and sever the root. Wear close fitting clothing and stay away from the anger. Anything that runs off a pto deserves respect. It can eat you in a heartbeat.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks for the advice. This thing is going to require a little bit of work. I think the cutting blades are on the wrong sides of the spiral, and one of the "ears" is bent, so I will have to get it bent back into shape. Its going to need a coat of paint, and might have to replace the U joint bearings. The locking pin for the PTO shaft is seized so I will have to get that out and all the rust cleaned up. Might have to pick up a 16" auger bit for when I set the large telephone poles, but for the immediate concern of 6x6's for the deck it will work just fine once its bent back to shape. Might have to add grease if the oil leaks out of the input and output shaft seals, replacing those might be a bit beyond me unless I can find a schematic or tutorial.

Here is the first stack of telephone poles..... hopefully the first stack of many.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Here it is..... Thanks Alan!!! Ill have to do some restoration work... Fix a bent cutting edge, some paint, and free up the PTO connection lock. Might need new input and output shaft seals and some oil, or at least add some grease for the time being, but she turns and should work just fine. If anybody can look at this and give me some identifying information that would be great. I will want a 16" auger bit for it, but w/ no definitive knowledge of brand or model, I don't know what augers will work with it.

I believe it was purchased at a non chain ag store in Connersville Indiana about 25 years ago. It was used a few times for a fence, and has been sitting in a field since.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If you only plan to dig a few at a time, and really want a workout:

th

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    HA... I have about a half mile of fencing, maybe another 15 holes for decks, 20 something holes for the livestock barn, and 30 something for the garage. Ill pass.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    HA... I have about a half mile of fencing, maybe another 15 holes for decks, 20 something holes for the livestock barn, and 30 something for the garage. Ill pass.
    don't blame you, I have a compact tractor and a few attachments and know how much the tractor helps! I want an auger and small 3 point disc.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    All the 3-point hitch/PTO powered post hole diggers are pretty similar. The one we had one the farm was made by Ford, probably was older than me (I left the farm in 1984). Replacing the shear pin (rocks will do that) was the only thing we ever did to it.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Here she is all cleaned up. took about 12 hours to get everything freed up, cleaned sanded, and put back together properly, but she works great now.

Looks great. Just keep in mind 2 things if you haven't already figured them out. That thing will bore fast with out cleaning out the hole if you let it so lower it slow, and the drive angle can be a killer on the U joints if you hit a rock or something hard with it up very high so keep a spare cross on hand.

Top Bottom