2001 F250 w/7.3 wont start.. any Ford diesel guys out there??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    have owned this for about 3 years and no issues.. about a week ago I took off to work and about a mile away it lost power and almost died.. about 30 seconds later it started running just fine.. no idiot lights and I drove off.. No other issues until tonight.. went to start it and just cranked over and no indication of it wanting to start.. I had a crank sensor and changed it.. I also changed the fuel filter. Tried again and nothing.. I cant hear the fuel pump.. crawled under it and checked wires/plugs/connectors .. everything looks fine.
    So I figure fuel pump or relay?? just wanted to make sure I am on the right track.. Thanks, TIM

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Check your wiring for the crank sensor there was a chaffing issue. Simple check for fuel is to make sure the canister your fuel filter is in is full. If you couls scan for any codes that would be helpful as there are some possible issues with the icp(injection control pressure) sensor and ipr (injection pressure regulator) from my past experience

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    That's what mine did when the computer took a crap. Had to have the truck and the boat towed. It was a bad day. I'll hope yours is something cheaper.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Easiest way to check for fuel is to drain the bowl, yellow lever, then turn key on, see if more fuel drains.

If not, the pump is under the driver side, inside of frame, it runs for 20 seconds after key on. Key on and go under and listen. I doubt your fuel screens are clogged since it happened only a mile away.

Lastly, pop the hood and while cranking, tell me if you hear each injector clacking...

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    OP- you said the changed the crank sensor, which, in this case is the cam sensor, there isn't a crank sensor. What brand/color was the sensor?

I really need to know whether or not you can hear the injectors clacking.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Put in a new CPS. Either from NAPA or Ford directly. Cheap ones from AutoZone and others of the likes will not serve you well. Trust me, I ran Ford and IH tow trucks with these same engines and each ran 800K before we retired any of them.

As as to the question above about a blue diamond CPS, it is rumored that a IH sensor in a Ford truck makes the engine more powerful, never noticed in my SOTP dyno, but I used to get CPS's for $28 at the IH dealer, so it didn't matter to me.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    bought it a Oreiley's was the only option made by borg warner, believe it was grey.. I need to have someone start it while under the hood.. I have the wait to start light , turns over fast, can hear a whir and relay of some kind open close.. no fuel pump noise. going to pull the fuel filter out and empty it then key it up to see if it fills.. tonight.
    This is my first diesel and have read some about it and of course I know it can be multiple things... dont just want to guess and rebuild the motor in the process.. Thanks to all who have offered advice. Tim

OP- you said the changed the crank sensor, which, in this case is the cam sensor, there isn't a crank sensor. What brand/color was the sensor?

I really need to know whether or not you can hear the injectors clacking.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    thanks. I will have to see if there is a International dealer around here.. South of Ft. Wayne about 40 minutes...

Put in a new CPS. Either from NAPA or Ford directly. Cheap ones from AutoZone and others of the likes will not serve you well. Trust me, I ran Ford and IH tow trucks with these same engines and each ran 800K before we retired any of them.

As as to the question above about a blue diamond CPS, it is rumored that a IH sensor in a Ford truck makes the engine more powerful, never noticed in my SOTP dyno, but I used to get CPS's for $28 at the IH dealer, so it didn't matter to me.

z96Cobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Southeast Indiana
    Check your oil level. If your oil level is too low, you'll starve the lpop and hpop and the injectors won't (can't) fire.

ETA

Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust? If so, what color?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    oil level was low.. what does Ipop and Hpop stand for?? I have not checked the oil for awhile.. truck has never used oil before. I dont drive the truck much and it sets most of the time.. got underneath and found oil filter was leaking... so if the low oil is the cause or problem, how do I correct it . I put oil back in it still did not start.
    Thanks for the information! Tim

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Maybe a stupid question but here it goes anyway. Did you prime the fuel system and bleed off the air after changing the filter?

added: I know nothing of the Ford Diesels, but I have to do this every time I change the fuel filter on my Duramax 6.6.

Archerguy1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Alexandria Indiana
    Don't know is a Power Stroke has one, but my F150 gas engine left me stuck at the house for 3 days and when I finally got to the fuel pump a guy who works on them recommends I check and change , because he knew it would be bad , a fuel pump control module , bolted to the cross member up by the spare, it's Aluminum and rots against the steel frame, road salt etc. Any way I checked, it was bad replaced it and bingo started right up. Part was $100 compared to $500.00 for the fuel pump. May be worth a look

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy

+1 on this. My work truck is the same model as the op. I went through a couple before I figured it out. Has to be a Ford or IH one.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    oil level was low.. what does Ipop and Hpop stand for?? I have not checked the oil for awhile.. truck has never used oil before. I dont drive the truck much and it sets most of the time.. got underneath and found oil filter was leaking... so if the low oil is the cause or problem, how do I correct it . I put oil back in it still did not start.
    Thanks for the information! Tim

low pressure oil pump/high pressure oil pump. powerstrokes fire injectors using OIL PRESSURE (odd i know) but if your oil is low, your oil pressure may not be sufficient enough to fire injectors. FWIW, LISTEN to ctcb4z, trust me, he know's powerstrokes undoutedly better than anyone else here!

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    How much oil did it take ? If it was so low it died you will get air in system and it can take a while to get it out. It is kind of a good thing it will not run if oil is to low. Good luck hope you get it going.

z96Cobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Southeast Indiana
    Now that the oil level is good, do you have any smoke from the exhaust, when you crank the engine? Smoke would indicate that the injectors are firing and rule out a few components. If your issue is/was low oil, it will take a lot of cranking to purge the air & get the truck running. Once you get it running, following a low oil incident, you need to drive it like you stole it for a good 10-20+ miles or you'll likely have trouble starting it again (air still in the system).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom