• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Do I put in a suspended ceiling or Sheetrock it?

if I suspend it, it will be about 8ft, but with Sheetrock I gain a foot to about 9 foot?

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Drop ceiling will make future jobs, like wiring, and new water lines easier, it will also be nice if you have a water leak, just lift the tile fix the leak, then replace the tile.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Drop ceiling will make future jobs, like wiring, and new water lines easier, it will also be nice if you have a water leak, just lift the tile fix the leak, then replace the tile.

ive thought of that, but other than an accidental leak I seen no reason to get up there once I do this...

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Even if I had no plans to do anything, I wouldn't remove my options for easy access to all the stuff you'd be covering up. Also, a drop ceiling gives you all kinds of options for a very cool appearance. Ceiling tiles don't have to be boring. :twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I guess it depends; will this be a "finished basement" or a new living addition to the home? If it is going to have HVAC ducting, bedrooms, living rooms, bathrooms and nice flooring, lighting, and trim work then I would sheetrock it. Make it look like your upstairs so if/when you sell it, it will be viewed as additional square footage.

If it will still feel like a basement when you are done with it, suspend the ceiling.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    It will still be a basement when I'm done. Not much more than a treadmill and a TV...

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I do use mine as living space...love having the fireplace down stairs and my man cave is in the basement as well...

fireplace_zps5aa58031.jpg

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    I finished my basement ceiling using T-111 plywood siding. I wanted something other than drop ceiling, but wanted access if I ever needed it. I used screws to install, and then painted. I already needed to gain access once, and it was an easy turnaround.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Do I put in a suspended ceiling or Sheetrock it?

if I suspend it, it will be about 8ft, but with Sheetrock I gain a foot to about 9 foot?

Why would you lose a foot if you do grid ? The tees and mains are only 1-1/2" and even if you drop in some lay-in fixtures, you'd still only need 6".

Dollar for dollar, grid is going to be less cost total installed. What with finishing, painting, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I finished my basement ceiling using T-111 plywood siding. I wanted something other than drop ceiling, but wanted access if I ever needed it. I used screws to install, and then painted. I already needed to gain access once, and it was an easy turnaround.

THIS! And if you are concerned with the look, use a brad nailer to tack up trim to cover the seams, and possibly add a grid pattern if you want to get fancy. THen its rip down the relevant trim, unscrew the sheets, fix the problem and put it back.

And a drop ceiling can also work well. I've had no problems moving tiles with only 4" of drop from the floor joists.

Top Bottom