• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Do I put in a suspended ceiling or Sheetrock it?

if I suspend it, it will be about 8ft, but with Sheetrock I gain a foot to about 9 foot?

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Drop ceiling will make future jobs, like wiring, and new water lines easier, it will also be nice if you have a water leak, just lift the tile fix the leak, then replace the tile.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Drop ceiling will make future jobs, like wiring, and new water lines easier, it will also be nice if you have a water leak, just lift the tile fix the leak, then replace the tile.

ive thought of that, but other than an accidental leak I seen no reason to get up there once I do this...

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Even if I had no plans to do anything, I wouldn't remove my options for easy access to all the stuff you'd be covering up. Also, a drop ceiling gives you all kinds of options for a very cool appearance. Ceiling tiles don't have to be boring. :twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I guess it depends; will this be a "finished basement" or a new living addition to the home? If it is going to have HVAC ducting, bedrooms, living rooms, bathrooms and nice flooring, lighting, and trim work then I would sheetrock it. Make it look like your upstairs so if/when you sell it, it will be viewed as additional square footage.

If it will still feel like a basement when you are done with it, suspend the ceiling.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    It will still be a basement when I'm done. Not much more than a treadmill and a TV...

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I do use mine as living space...love having the fireplace down stairs and my man cave is in the basement as well...

fireplace_zps5aa58031.jpg

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    I finished my basement ceiling using T-111 plywood siding. I wanted something other than drop ceiling, but wanted access if I ever needed it. I used screws to install, and then painted. I already needed to gain access once, and it was an easy turnaround.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Do I put in a suspended ceiling or Sheetrock it?

if I suspend it, it will be about 8ft, but with Sheetrock I gain a foot to about 9 foot?

Why would you lose a foot if you do grid ? The tees and mains are only 1-1/2" and even if you drop in some lay-in fixtures, you'd still only need 6".

Dollar for dollar, grid is going to be less cost total installed. What with finishing, painting, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I finished my basement ceiling using T-111 plywood siding. I wanted something other than drop ceiling, but wanted access if I ever needed it. I used screws to install, and then painted. I already needed to gain access once, and it was an easy turnaround.

THIS! And if you are concerned with the look, use a brad nailer to tack up trim to cover the seams, and possibly add a grid pattern if you want to get fancy. THen its rip down the relevant trim, unscrew the sheets, fix the problem and put it back.

And a drop ceiling can also work well. I've had no problems moving tiles with only 4" of drop from the floor joists.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom