• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Came across this on another forum and thought it would be appreciated here as well. An NHL game being played in Canada had some electronic issues during the singing of the national anthem, and the no doubt majority Canadian crowd stepped in and finished singing OUR national anthem.

If this were to happen in American 1. how many people would even know O Canada to finish for them (I wouldn't) 2. how many people would have even bothered?

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSaHRd4Q48

[video=youtube;mHSaHRd4Q48]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSaHRd4Q48[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is that classy? I personally WON'T sing the national anthem of of anyplace but my own. Ill stand up and show due respect, but songbook only has room for one national anthem. I find it odd that anyone would even commit time to learn it. I know I'm being a bit of hater, but it just seems so strange. Could the crowd have been mostly American?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Is that classy? I personally WON'T sing the national anthem of of anyplace but my own. Ill stand up and show due respect, but songbook only has room for one national anthem. I find it odd that anyone would even commit time to learn it. I know I'm being a bit of hater, but it just seems so strange. Could the crowd have been mostly American?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It just reflects and outdated worldview is all :twocents:

Very possibly. But, and I know this sounds cheesy, but when I sing the anthem, or hear a good rendition, I get chills. I song has a powerful effect on me. So while I guess I can appreciate the gesture, I'd find it hard to believe that a Canadian understands how emotional that song is. We feel it, they're just going through the motions. I guess I'm a bit to nationalistic, and selfish. Ha ha

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Very possibly. But, and I know this sounds cheesy, but when I sing the anthem, or hear a good rendition, I get chills. I song has a powerful effect on me. So while I guess I can appreciate the gesture, I'd find it hard to believe that a Canadian understands how emotional that song is. We feel it, they're just going through the motions. I guess I'm a bit to nationalistic, and selfish. Ha ha

I didn't mean it as an insult...the same happens to be when I hear the Anthem. I was talking more about the fact that most of the world is much more "worldly" than most Americans.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I didn't mean it as an insult...the same happens to be when I hear the Anthem. I was talking more about the fact that most of the world is much more "worldly" than most Americans.

I didn't take it as an insult. It actually is more correct than you know. I'm pretty sure I have an old school world view. But your explanation make sense too. Many non-Americans know more about us than we them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I challenge that many "Americans" only go through the motions. How many people at a sporting event are bothered for the short time frame to actually pay attention? I actually think it'd be more respectful to quit the Anthem at sporting events as going through the motions is meaningless.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You dam youngsters and you "new" worldviews!

I tend to agree with Kutnupe.

:laugh:

See above...I was referring to the rest of the world's worldview compared to American worldview.

I didn't take it as an insult. It actually is more correct than you know. I'm pretty sure I have an old school world view. But your explanation make sense too. Many non-Americans know more about us than we them.

I wanted to make a joke here, but I decided not to :):

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I challenge that many "Americans" only go through the motions. How many people at a sporting event are bothered for the short time frame to actually pay attention? I actually think it'd be more respectful to quit the Anthem at sporting events as going through the motions is meaningless.

You bring up a fair point. I see way too many hats on heads.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You bring up a fair point. I see way too many hats on heads.

It's not just the hats either. Does the anthem not apply to the cameramen running all over the field to get 6" away from the athlete's faces?

One of my favorite lines from Fiddler on the Roof is this.

Because of our traditions, we've kept our balance for many, many years. Here in Anatevka, we have traditions for everything: how to sleep, how to eat... how to work... how to wear clothes. For instance, we always keep our heads covered, and always wear a little prayer shawl that shows our constant devotion to God. You may ask, "How did this tradition get started?" I'll tell you!
    [pause]
    I don't know. But it's a tradition..

It's at this point that the tradition has lost all meaning. We have traditions so we don't forget what it is that they represent but as always, over time, we lose the real meaning of it.

Top Bottom