• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Went to the Holocaust Museum today after seeing the monuments. When you go through the main exhibit, you line up at the elevators. They tell you to get an identification card. There is a stack for men and a stack for women. You grab one from your perspective stack. There has to be hundreds of them in the stacks. I don't know how many different identification cards they actually have out of the 6 million Jews murdered but let's say it's 1000 different identification cards. The one my daughter got was the same girl that she did a report on last year for the Holocaust.

We spent about 2 hours in there and couldn't even begin to do it justice.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That is a very moving and emotionally powerful "museum". Unfortunately, my daughter was just at the wrong age when we took her and it was too much for her. The first floor she was fine, but once we got onto the other floors, she just sat down, started crying and said she wanted to go. I took her down to the ground floor and she was able to go through the section that was geared more towards young children.

Whether you are a history buff or not, I highly recommend you go through this museum. Then go to the Air and Space or Museum of American History to lighten the mood.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My grandfather was a tank commander with the 750th tank battalion and was part of the liberation of Nordhausen. His scrapbook and stories of what they encountered at the camp and willful denial of what was going on by the nearby townsfolk give me chills whenever I page through it. He's passed now but I have tapes of conversations with him about those experiences, something he never talked about my entire childhood or my mom's childhood. I visited there when I was in Germany in the late 90s.

Just curious HLNL, what does the museum have to say about the other estimated 6 million folks killed by the Nazi regime for extermination purposes?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There were pictures and areas talking about gypsies, homosexuals, and the handicapped as well. I'm sure there were more references as well. Without spending a couple days there, there's no way to see and read every bit. There's also several videos as well.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Last time I was there in 2008 I remembered walking in with a happy inner peace and walking out with the hairs standing up on the back of my neck and not able to smile. The room with the shoes almost had me in tears.

zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Last time I was there in 2008 I remembered walking in with a happy inner peace and walking out with the hairs standing up on the back of my neck and not able to smile. The room with the shoes almost had me in tears.

Thats the room that got me. I went in joking with my friends and laughing. We came out quiet. Not a word was said.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We were there in 05. It's a very moving place. We ran in to a lady that have her "numbers" tattoed on her arm. She was pretty open about talking about her ordeal. I can't imagine what she went threw. Everyone that visits DC needs to go there. As well as making a trip to Arlington Cemetery. We also visited all the war museums, The Vietnam wall, Lincoln and FDR monuments. We also visited Mt Vernon and Gettysburg on the way. A really memorable trip. I hope to make it back again someday.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    They showed how they used hair and eye color samples and head measurements to determine who was Jewish.

The smell in the shoe room was pretty powerful.

The 4th floor was mostly about the rise of nazi power. The 3rd floor was mostly about the ghettos and concentration camps. The 2nd floor was about the aftermath. There were sections devoted to how the US and other nations turned a blind eye to Hitler's anti Jewish rhetoric. There was a section talking about wanting the US to bomb the concentration camps. The prevailing thinking on one side was that they'd kill all the Jews currently there but would put the camps out of commission to prevent further genocide. The US said they didn't have the resources to get the bombs there but yet we were bombing places 5 miles away. We were dragging our feet with Jewish immigration as well.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    My grandfather was a tank commander with the 750th tank battalion and was part of the liberation of Nordhausen. His scrapbook and stories of what they encountered at the camp and willful denial of what was going on by the nearby townsfolk give me chills whenever I page through it. He's passed now but I have tapes of conversations with him about those experiences, something he never talked about my entire childhood or my mom's childhood.

You are very fortunate to have those memories, stories, notes and even tapes from your Grandfather. Hope you keep analog as well as digital copies in multiple places - those are priceless and your own piece of history. A good majority of that generation, especially those who saw heavy battle, never recounted their stories - to family or anyone else for that matter.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    We were shown movies about the Holocaust in High School (1946-1950). They were not Hollywood productions but were documentaries filmed by the Army Signal Corps with actual footage, some German, showing naked emaciated corpses in mass graves awaiting burial. I still remember those movies with the gas chambers and the ovens but I don't recall ever hearing the word "Holocaust" back then.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thank you for taking her there.

The enormity of the Holocaust is so great that some actually deny it ever happened. In some cases, that denial is anti-Semitic. In others, it is merely self-protective; We have difficulty imagining that man can be so cruel to his fellow man. (When in high school, 7th Stepper had a classmate who had, among other things, a lampshade and a bottle of oil. I'll let your minds fill in the gaps where those came from and tell you only that the classmate's father helped liberate a camp.) It is by exposing our children to the knowledge that we hopefully help prevent them from ever traveling down the same path our predecessors and ancestors did.

Again, hornady, thank you. I hope for her sake that the nightmares are brief.

Blessings,
    Bill

Went to the Holocaust Museum today after seeing the monuments. When you go through the main exhibit, you line up at the elevators. They tell you to get an identification card. There is a stack for men and a stack for women. You grab one from your perspective stack. There has to be hundreds of them in the stacks. I don't know how many different identification cards they actually have out of the 6 million Jews murdered but let's say it's 1000 different identification cards. The one my daughter got was the same girl that she did a report on last year for the Holocaust.

We spent about 2 hours in there and couldn't even begin to do it justice.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We were shown movies about the Holocaust in High School (1946-1950). They were not Hollywood productions but were documentaries filmed by the Army Signal Corps with actual footage, some German, showing naked emaciated corpses in mass graves awaiting burial. I still remember those movies with the gas chambers and the ovens but I don't recall ever hearing the word "Holocaust" back then.

The word Holocaust wasn't used in reference to the Jewish genocide until sometime in the 60's. Before then it was referred to as the "final solution".

Here is some info on the word:

History And Meaning Of The Word ?Holocaust': Are We Still Comfortable With This Term?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    While the Jews weren't the only group or even the largest group of people in total targeted and killed by the nazis, (I say this only to not forget the millions of others killed) they seem to have been the group that have gotten the atrocities recognized and forever in the minds of generations. I grew up belonging to a group that was hunted and killed by the nazis and forced to wear their own "special" patch. I'll NEVER forget the stories told to me by some of the elderly with tattooed numbers on their arms who thankfully escaped a gruesome death, but endure a terrible existence and then the survivors guilt that followed.
    when I see groups who wear that symbol (swatzika) today it makes my stomach churn and think of things I'd like to do to them but as a sane human being I know I cannot.
    we need to make sure out children are properly taught what absolute power leads to. It could happen here if we aren't on the watch!
    RIP all of those murdered by the barbaric animal nazis

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Went there, then to Arlington, and then to the WWII Memorial on the same day.

I have never felt such a deep sense of sadness and anger, followed by gratitude and pride.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Thank you for taking her there.

The enormity of the Holocaust is so great that some actually deny it ever happened. In some cases, that denial is anti-Semitic. In others, it is merely self-protective; We have difficulty imagining that man can be so cruel to his fellow man. (When in high school, 7th Stepper had a classmate who had, among other things, a lampshade and a bottle of oil. I'll let your minds fill in the gaps where those came from and tell you only that the classmate's father helped liberate a camp.) It is by exposing our children to the knowledge that we hopefully help prevent them from ever traveling down the same path our predecessors and ancestors did.

Again, hornady, thank you. I hope for her sake that the nightmares are brief.

Blessings,
    Bill

And even with all this evidence, we still have the pro genocide, pro torture crowd among us.

Top Bottom