• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    To all, is there any regulation out there that prevents a company from forcing employees to continue working at a fixed place of business, with no running water? A friend works for a small company and they have no running water at the business. Apparently the supply line has a major leak, and the owner has shut down the pump (on a well). The intent is (supposedly) get the water line fixed but it hasn't happened yet, amd they have been without water for a week. This means there are no working toilets or sinks. Does my friend have any recourse? He is concerned about not going to work because of the health concern, and being fired. I've tried searches to see if he has any outs, but I can't find anything. Anyone else have any more experience with a similar situation or experience with what OSHA or the health department will say? Thanks!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Nope! Apparently turning the pump on a couple times a day to use 5 gallon buckets of water to flush toilets. I told him he needs to find a new job!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Call board of health and the folks at work force (job related issues and unemployment) Mayors action hot line. Then get a new job.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...or be a member of a team, suck it up for a while and try to be understanding about the difficulties of running a business.

That's not a huge INGO thing, but hey.....

Health concerns....what has the world come to?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Our water main at work broke last spring, it was late in the day when it happened, and they told us we'd be without water the next day. We filled a bunch of buckets with water for the toilets, but they told us we may wanna bring our own drinking water, and they'd buy bags of ice, if we wanted. You would not believe the *****ing the next day by those too damn dumb/lazy to bring their own water! Some had the nerve to ask those of us who were prepared for water! What a world!

The above being said, a week without having running water for employees just sounds like pure laziness.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Over the years, I have hauled a lot of mine equipment, and most of those guys don't have a sink, or a crapper. If ur lucky, you are in a big haul truck that takes you somewhat closet to a porta-crapper along the haul road. On the dragline? The thing is 120' wide and 222' tall and weighs 13 million pounds, but no bathroom in there anywhere. They have a 5 gal bucket tucked back in the corner. If you are in a shovel in the pit, the thing to do is keep a few or the used air filters on the machine. Nature calls, you swing around and face the bucket to the high wall, grab an air filter and go in the bucket. It is said that the rubber seal on top of the filter makes a good seat. Leave the "used" filter in the bucket and it goes with the next load of rock to be dumped over on the spoil side.

And there as some professions that doesn't have it that good.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    As a small business owner in Indiana the Indiana Secretary of State requires me to have a working restroom. They have field investigators who check in on business' when needed.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    One of my Transmitter sites has no water or bathroom, been that way for years.

I have never seen a crapper at a tower site!! That would be novel. Shower would be nice after being in a building when the AC fails is about 120 degrees. and you have been in there for 4-5 hours. lol

If it is a small business that is on the edge I just be thankful you have a job at the moment. ***** about it and usually the squeaky wheel gets the grease. They'll fix it when they can afford it. If someone is just being a tight ass then report it to code enforcement.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    My first thought that came to mind is: If the boss can't afford to pony up the dough to fix the water, he's probably writing rubber paychecks too. I'd be outta there with a quickness.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My first thought that came to mind is: If the boss can't afford to pony up the dough to fix the water, he's probably writing rubber paychecks too. I'd be outta there with a quickness.

You are assuming we know everything about the situation. That's an assumption I would not make.

Top Bottom