• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Hey guys, a buddy and I are going up to the Dallas at Green Bay divisional game this weekend from Indy, and I was wondering if any of you have a preferred route. I've never been up that way so we would just be following whatever the GPS told us. Looks like Apple Maps is giving me two routes. Both take 65 up and 90 through Chicago, then one stays on 90 West and up 39 through Madison (7 hour trip) and the other goes straight up 94 through Milwaukee (6 hour trip). The Milwaukee seems like the way to go, but I figured I'd see what you guys thought.

Also, we've been looking at some hotels about an hour out or less for Saturday night before the game. Recommendations or any must-stop places on the way up or near Green Bay as we'll have a little time Saturday evening? May stop in Milwaukee for a brewery tour if we go that way?

Any thoughts are appreciated! :ingo:

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Practice, Practice, Practice!!!! Really can you take me????? I'm the hugest Packer fan ever!!!!

Last edited:

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    I have family in central and western WI so can give you some helpful info. I assume the game is in Green Bay? The shortest/quickest route there is through Chicago. However, my rule is to avoid Chicago during typical rush hour times, and on into the eve hours (9 or even 10 pm). If you have to go through during that time period, use I-294 bypass. More tolls but it is worth it. Otherwise, I-65 > I-80/94 > I-94 through Chicago to Milwaukee, then I-43 to Green Bay. If you will be doing that early Sat., should not have any problems. Don't forget the rush hour times on the trip back. Sun. eve. can be very busy with all the people who went somewhere else trying to get back into town.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We make the trip from Northern Minnesota to Indiana fairly often.

My advise.Take I74 to Bloomington then I39 N.Take 39 all the way up to 21(Richford/Oshkosh),41 into Green bay.You avoid all major cities and is almost the exact same distance as hugging the lake on I43.

Only one toll on I39.None on 74.

My wife has been travelling between Minnesota and central Indiana for 10+ years,and after a few multi hour delays in Chicago she refuses to drive through it anymore.We have never hit any really bad traffic at all on the 74/39 route.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

My advise.Take I74 to Bloomington then I39 N.Take 39 all the way up to 21(Richford/Oshkosh),41 into Green bay.You avoid all major cities and is almost the exact same distance as hugging the lake on I43.

My wife has been travelling between Minnesota and central Indiana for 10+ years,and after a few multi hour delays in Chicago she refuses to drive through it anymore.We have never hit any really bad traffic at all on the 74/39 route.

I always wondered if there was a good alternate route to avoid Chicago. We used to go up to northern MN (near International Falls) on fishing trips when I was a kid and always went through Chicago.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you go thru Chicago, I'd suggest 94 instead of 90. I think just the Skyway Bridge alone is at least $5 now.

As far as places to stay, I'd recommend Appleton, if you can find a room. That will give you the most options for hotels and restaurants.

On game day, try to park at the Don Hutson facility if possible, but you'll need to be HOURS early to do so. If you're successful, this will put you at one end of the 2-3 block long tailgate party. At the opposite end, you'll find The Jersey Store. I'd think that this late in the season you would be able to find some really good deals in there.

Other than that, keep your feet dry and warm, and your liver well lubricated! Best atmosphere I've ever experienced for a football game, hands down! Fantastic people, food, energy, and history. Can you tell I'm a little jealous?

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Take 294 tollway around Chicago and 41 in WI to Milwaukee, then get on 894, watch for the directions to Fond du Lac which gets you back on 41. There are many hotels and restaurants right off 41 in Appleton. I have made this trip at least 100 times and this is the best overall way to go.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My wife and I have been to two games at Lambeau and took the I94 route each time. Avoid Chicago during rush hour and you will be fine. Don't forget about the time change. If you can work it in the Lambeau Field is well worth the time. No tours the day before the game though. If you do go, get there early, they sell out quickly. If you're looking for brewery tours, you might check out Hinterland Brewery in Green Bay. I haven't been there, but it's on my list. If you get to Lambeau early, remember that there are no pass outs and the gates don't open until one hour before kick off. There's not much to do in the Atrium on game day beside eating $9.00 brats and shopping in the pro shop. Dress warmly and take a seat cushion. Those aluminum bleacher seats get really cold. Kroll's across from the south gates on Ridge is something of a local tradition and the food at Curly's Pub is pretty good, too.
    G
    O PACK GO

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I always wondered if there was a good alternate route to avoid Chicago. We used to go up to northern MN (near International Falls) on fishing trips when I was a kid and always went through Chicago.

Get an iPass, or borrow one, (tolls cost 2x if you pay cash) and take I-355 around Chicago. Always. Every time I take I-294 I end up regretting it.*

As to Madison v. Milwaukee, I would think there'd be less travel and hassle on the Madison route, but I really don't know. I go as far as Madison, and there's no reason I ever want to go to stinky armpit called Green Bay.

* This assumes you're going west-ish.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    b52_low_level_jimbenson.jpg

Go Bears! :laugh:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Wouldn't you be better off using that plane to drop Cutler on someplace like Oakland? Better yet, just keep him in Chicago. He's one of the best players the Packers have had in years.:rofl:

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008

^^This!^^

Driving through Chicago will only pi** you off. I74 to I39 is way more relaxing.

I used to make the drive from Indy to Madison about once a month, and the I74/39 route was much better for my sanity (such as it is). Traffic is very light once you get past Champaign, IL. I once went between Bloomington and Rockford without ever having to disengage the cruise control. Try that on I65.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Wouldn't you be better off using that plane to drop Cutler on someplace like Oakland? Better yet, just keep him in Chicago. He's one of the best players the Packers have had in years.:rofl:

Good point!!! They do have a long range. ;)

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Thanks, guys. Looks like there are plenty of options for me now. Haha. We'll be heading up sometime Saturday mid-morning and coming home Sunday evening after the game. Does that change anybody's opinions? I just don't know much about traffic flow near Chicago. I have an iPass that I'm borrowing from a friend. The 74 to 39 route seems tempting, but my maps is telling me it's an additional hour. Is that true in real use?
    Also, I hate to admit it due to all the great advice, but I will be rooting for the visiting team this weekend. However, my buddy is a Packers fan, so you can provide the info for his use, if that makes you feel better. Haha. Thanks again. Keep em coming.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks, guys. Looks like there are plenty of options for me now. Haha. We'll be heading up sometime Saturday mid-morning and coming home Sunday evening after the game. Does that change anybody's opinions? I just don't know much about traffic flow near Chicago. I have an iPass that I'm borrowing from a friend. The 74 to 39 route seems tempting, but my maps is telling me it's an additional hour. Is that true in real use?
    Also, I hate to admit it due to all the great advice, but I will be rooting for the visiting team this weekend. However, my buddy is a Packers fan, so you can provide the info for his use, if that makes you feel better. Haha. Thanks again. Keep em coming.

I see no way it would take an hour longer.Just the reduced speed limits as you travel through various cities would add time to the I43 route(wonder if your map program has I43 at 65mph the whole way...it isn't).
    I39 has nearly no traffic and no reduced speed through any city.The other poster was not exaggerating when they said they went 200+ miles without adjusting their cruise control.I am also willing to bet the Illinois state patrol presence is much heavier on 143 especially near the major cities.I would say every other trip we never even see a patrol car on I39 in either state.If you want to stop somewhere along I43 I would take that route,if you want to get to GreenBay while encountering little to no traffic,tolls,or speed reduction zones take I39.

Of course you could do one route up,and the other back and report your findings to INGO.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Unless you are going to Madison for a reason, there is zero reason to be near Madison when going from Indiana to Green Bay. Look at the map of Wisconsin, makes no sense.

I travel for work and go through Chicago a lot, unless its rush hour I dont really have many issues with the skyway. Its usually quicker than going 294, at least from what I see.

If it were me, Id take I-90 skyway, I-94 N through Milwaukee, and then I-43N to Green Bay. Most direct route and its all interstate.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If you go I-39 you are going west to go east. Plus you get to deal with Rockford and Madison traffic.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom