• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Anyone have a small 3d printer around 8x8x8? I am thinking about getting one to tinker with. Any one have a particular one they like? Any ones I should avoid or things I should look for??

Larry

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've seen a makerbot in action. kinda slick, but really slow. I have not much experience with 3d printers to compare.

At scout camp they had some of them making chess pieces... a rook took upwards of 45 minutes to produce.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My wife just discovered that Brownsburg Library has two 3d printers available for use. No cost to use, including free materials.
    They do require a $50 certification class in order to reserve any time on the printers. I will be looking into this.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Oh wow!!. That is too cool! Check it out for sure! I know I would. I got derailed with some health issues and got side tracked. I still want one. most likely will!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Their class is once a month, and I have plans for the next one. But will try to make the class in May.
    Apparently, you can use their spools and everything. It will certainly be worth the money to get a feel for the equipment, process, etc... It's only 10$ more to include a second person, so my son will be joining me. I'll give a full report once I get the class taken.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I am also seriously looking into a 3D printer. This right here, is pretty mind blowing. I may wait and see if this technology takes off before making the investment....

[video]https://youtu.be/ihR9SX7dgRo[/video]

Edit: Sorry. Seems like I am unable to embed with my phone. If someone else can do so, I'd appreciate it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am also seriously looking into a 3D printer. This right here, is pretty mind blowing. I may wait and see if this technology takes off before making the investment....

Edit: Sorry. Seems like I am unable to embed with my phone. If someone else can do so, I'd appreciate it.

[video=youtube;ihR9SX7dgRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihR9SX7dgRo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thank you.

YW!!

Their class is once a month, and I have plans for the next one. But will try to make the class in May.
    Apparently, you can use their spools and everything. It will certainly be worth the money to get a feel for the equipment, process, etc... It's only 10$ more to include a second person, so my son will be joining me. I'll give a full report once I get the class taken.

Let us know how the class goes. I am envious for sure!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Followup, My son and I are taking the class tomorrow. it's (from what I understand) a basics course assuming the end user has zero experience with 3d, or cad. it may be a little boring for me until they get to the printing portion. But I am sure my son will be enjoying it thoroughly.... will report afterwards.

fwiw, it is $50 for one person, or $35 ea. for multiple people. so both of us are taking it for $70 total.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    OK, so we got back from our class. to recap:

Brownsburg Public Library has TWO 3d printers available for use. no cost for time or materials to use them. However, they DO require a certification course so as to avoid having any fires started I am guessing :D
    Cost is $50 for one person, or $35 ea for multiple family members, and run from 10am-4pm about once per month (You need to check their schedule. new dates are added about one-two months in advance only)

The printers, and the instruction, are provided by a company called 1st Maker Space. This company manufactures 3d printed parts (in all forms of materials, including a 750k model that uses carbon powder and lasers to fuse and print steel parts. They offer an educational outreach program, and also provide printers to various venues across the state. The printers are proprietary, having been designed and manufactured specifically for their firm. The printers are not commercially available.
    They do offer group instruction, and seemed responsive to my inquiring about boy scouts making use of their services.

The class is pretty rudimentary, covering the basics of 3d model design & printing using a free online software/site called tinkercad.com. The focus is to quickly make a shape using primitives (and other community/user made objects) and experience the process of printing in 3d. Everyone can use a workstation in the library's computer lab (or use your own laptop). They quickly jump into the safe operation of the printer, and then have everyone follow along step by step, building a simple keychain/keyfob with your intials. We all run those models in the printers, and break for lunch while they all print.

The company brought a few extra printers, so that 2-3 users could share one printer, resulting in less downtime while printing. Most of the 2" x 3/4" keyfobs took about 10 minutes to print each.

After returning from lunch, we then begin to dabble in more features of the software, and discuss some 3d printing issues when figuring how to print complex shapes. After building our own unique shape, we then demonstrate our skills by printing the shape, thus certifying we can safely use the equipment.

example video of the printer we used:

[video=youtube;vZzP3_z2cS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZzP3_z2cS8#t=55[/video]
    Even though the class is pretty simple, and easy to understand, there is much more to 3d printing than I had previously thought. Bridge shapes become problematic, and require support, otherwise gravity will allow the melted plastic to just drop onto the platen. For example, when printing a cup, you would want to print the cup in it's upright position, starting at the bottom of the cup, and working your way up.
    If for some reason you wanted to print the cup upside down, then when the printhead got up to what would be the bottom of the glass, the plastic would simply drop, when it tried to bridge the plastic to create the bottom of the cup. This isn't an issue in the former example, because you started at the bottom. While this is a rudimentary example with an easy fix, other shapes may have multiple bridges requiring a bit more thought.

I was surprised to find a 3d printed painbrush. Each of the bristles (though thick compared to fine hair brushes) was flexible and individual. When I asked how it was printed without any support, and how did each bristle not melt to one another, she had described that each layer cooled before the next bristle was printed. This process takes a little finaggling/playing around.

The resolution is a bit less then I had hoped for. Granted we were doing some small parts. But the texture and finish was a bit rougher than I had expected. I simply do not have any experience with 3d printing to compare or judge. This is my first experience with it.

It would appear much finaggling and playing around is recommended and required to get results you wish. Simply building a nice looking 3d model is not enough. There is much to learn and experiment with, in the print process itself.

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    As for my son, he is 'off to the races' building extremely complex parts and models! He is pretty excited about the process and use of the printers. I am having difficulty reigning him back, trying to get him to develop small models in a series of successful steps.
    I simply don't want him to get frustrated by the limitations/workarounds with the print process in complex shapes, all the while excited about his enthusiasm.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My opinion, avoid Makerbot. They were the first to pioneer a "desktop printer". Then they went close sourced and sold out. I worked with two Makerbot Replicator 2X's at a previous job. Makerbot's are pricy for what you get, and are prone to clogged nozzles. In which you'll have to send off to Makerbot for repair. The fifth generation printers have a redesigned head, but will now only print using PLA, no ABS. There are a lot of printers on the market now. When it comes to 3D printing, quality is going to cost you to a degree. Printer head speed, layer thickness (resolution), and vertcal tolerance. Don't expect to make complex parts that hold a tight tolerance with most desktop 3D printers. If you just want to tinker, or work on some prototypes. They are very helpful. If you have any questions about 3D printing or 3D modeling, you can send me a PM. I'm a CAD Designer by trade.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'm glad you brought that up.
    FWiW, the Brownsburg library printers will only run ABS. They claim the PLA causes issus with nozzle/head clogs and is more fickle than abs. I think it's possible, but in this type of setting with the general public coming in and using their printers, a one size fits all type solution is needed, and ABS fits that need.

Top Bottom