• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    1,600 sq ft , 9 foot ceilings and I can't over $100,000. I'm looking for ideas. One room will be a man cave to work on my guns. Also it is a walkout basement.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    $100k???

i did one around 1800sq ft for probably $50k, including a nice granite bar, appliances, tons of carpet, etc. I did electrical myself with my dad. It was mostly framed already though. I did the tile in the bathroom And near walkout slider myself too.

and I submit it's "do", not "redo" :):

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    $100,000!! If you need a contractor let me know.....that sounds like quite the budget.

You want drywall ceiling or drop ceiling? Is there a bathroom in basement now or are you going to install one in basement? Seems like bathrooms are the most expensive....if they have not been plumbed in with plan of future bathroom.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "Wife said its time to redo the unfinished basement"

How can one re-do something that is unfinished?

just quoting the wife.

There's your problem right there. Haven't you been married long enough to know it's not what they say, but what they mean? ;)

9' ceilings? Walkout? $100K? Man cave?

OK, stop bragging!

What about a gun room / safe room?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We did ours last year. About the same size in terms of square footage. We did a bedroom, bar, media center, bathroom and kids play room, + some additional unfinished storage space for well under 1/2 your budget. Finished drywall ceiling in the main room, custom bar and cabinets, etc.

I can give you the name of the guy that did ours. Cabinets came from the Amish down around Loogootee.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sounds like fun! My basement is a walkout too and was framed with 90% of the drywall hung, electrical done and bathroom finished when we bought the place. It's framed for 2 bedrooms, an 18x30 family room and a 14x28 mechanical room/workshop.

We don't need the 2 extra bedrooms, maybe one (there are 4 upstairs), so a use for the extra room downstairs...hmmmm...man cave huh? That's an interesting thought. My goal is to avoid anything that could be described as "related living".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If there is plumbing/mechanical do not drywall the ceiling. Drop in is easily removed for service work and easily replaceable when damaged.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My Dad had a quote that I always thought was wise: "Building permits are for stuff that shows from the road."

While I want to agree, I also accept the fact that I don't know as much as I think I do and having someone check my work isn't a bad thing...

Plus, there's lots of times I've seen DIY jobs that should have pulled a permit. :n00b:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Wow, 100k !

You will actually have approximately 75k to spend.

Your budget of 100k triggered the Obama "basement unity tax tariff"

The BUTT allows the less fortunate to redo their basements too. Maybe have a mini- mancave or a place to entertain baby-mamas. :rolleyes:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    While I want to agree, I also accept the fact that I don't know as much as I think I do and having someone check my work isn't a bad thing...

Plus, there's lots of times I've seen DIY jobs that should have pulled a permit. :n00b:

You don't need a building permit to have someone qualified check your work, or even do the work. I am not advocating unsafe or shoddy work. I am advocating doing good work without government interference.

Know your limitations.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Perhaps with your budget you could factor in a hidden room. If you are starting from a blank slate, it might me a neat idea to have a get away room hidden behind one of those bookcase doors. Just saying since it is on my wish list.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My Dad had a quote that I always thought was wise: "Building permits are for stuff that shows from the road."

How well one gets along with their neighbors play into this sort of thing. Folks with an axe to grind are happy to drop a dime when they see contractor vehicle activity, construction related noise, etc.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Perhaps with your budget you could factor in a hidden room. If you are starting from a blank slate, it might me a neat idea to have a get away room hidden behind one of those bookcase doors. Just saying since it is on my wish list.

I like the way you think, it could also double as a "safe room".

Top Bottom