• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We arrived in Ft Lauderdale and need to get to South Beach. Prelim fare quoted by Uber app is $38 max. Parking is $30/night at our hotel so not worth renting a car and paying all the fees/hassle.

the county will arrest and impound "illegal taxis" for Uber and Lyft if you pick up at the airport. Gotta keep the permit holders happy.

We we were going to take a shuttle to a hotel airport free and eat breakfast there so we're not stealing a ride. I decided to grab a taxi and hit a small restaurant instead. Close to the airport to keep cab ride short and in the direction we need to go.

cab: $20.50
    language skills: minimal
    route: airport to "grampa's"
    vehicle: Oldsmobile, not the cleanest. Video recorded us whole time

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The hotel charges for parking? Man, I've been out of the loop longer than I thought.

Not at all uncommon in urban areas. Or for "nicer" hotels. (which I always thought odd that expensive hotels will "nickel and dime" people to tears - while "bargain hotels" include just about everything in the nightly rate)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, aside from going up to Ft Wayne with m'lady, I think the last hotel I stayed in was at least 7 years ago, and the last one in a major metropolitan area was about 12, so I've probably earned my virginity back, hotel-wise.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have a coupon for $30 off first ride. We called before "surge time" and got a discount too. From the time I hit "request ride" it took four seconds before our driver accepted the ride. She arrived in three minutes. She is very nice, gave us cold water, chatting up about Uber and politics.

i texted her where we were standing, app showed a live map of where her car was. It showed me her face, car type, and license plate.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Second Uber trip happening now! Our vrbo hotel room was not available :dunno: they moved us to a diff place with no ocean view and a rooftop jacuzzi that the heater didn't work. Booked a diff hotel and heading there now.

current driver is a realtor. Former driver used to work in finance sector

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Second Uber trip happening now! Our vrbo hotel room was not available :dunno: they moved us to a diff place with no ocean view and a rooftop jacuzzi that the heater didn't work. Booked a diff hotel and heading there now.

Be sure that you leave an accurate review of the first place on VRBO...

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

What do you mean was not available?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We booked this place

The Congress (Formerly The Strand) Vacation Rental - VRBO 652021 - 0 BR South Beach Condo in FL, Oceanfront Condo Suite W/ Beach View & Balcony - Pool - Ocean Drive -South Beach

when we got there, we were told they have accommodated us in a sister hotel 1.5 blocks away. We get there, no balconies. I'm mad, front desk upgrades us to a penthouse one. Good ocean view they say. Private rooftop jacuzzi. Temp was 77, set at 102. Heater broken. The room connected to another, with a bypass door. There was no double locked door, just another door without a handle, instead a metallic disc covering where the handle should be. Ours was bent and I was able to unscreW and remove the handle. Not secure. Here was our view.

Turns out the Lady who listed on VRBO does not own the unit. She had it reserved and then rented it out, but at the "last minute" the room was not available for our trip. I had called her four times in 20 mins and no answer. I called from the hotel and she picked up immediately. She said she wasn't able to get the room as she thought and the owner switched us to the other nearby property. No communication with me, ever.

i think this listing has been redone since there are no reviews. I'll post when I confirm money is back on my card :):

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm not looking for sympathy, just sharing an experience for those who VRBO.

We ended up going to a much bigger hotel two miles north. Well worth the $350 extra for the trip. Wife very happy. I considered renting a car and hitting the keys but their hotels were pretty full. This is a good ending to a frustrating beginning.

second Uber ride was $5.35, about two miles, took about 5 mins to get to us, the app predicted that when he signed up as driver. Cab minimum charge is $10 here.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm not looking for sympathy, just sharing an experience for those who VRBO.

We ended up going to a much bigger hotel two miles north. Well worth the $350 extra for the trip. Wife very happy. I considered renting a car and hitting the keys but their hotels were pretty full. This is a good ending to a frustrating beginning.

second Uber ride was $5.35, about two miles, took about 5 mins to get to us, the app predicted that when he signed up as driver. Cab minimum charge is $10 here.

We always use Uber (or Lyft) when we need a ride. If you don't need the "Black Car" it really is dirt cheap

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    VRBO is a mixed bag. I rented a cabin in Wisconsin and called the lady at least 20 times afterwards to get the final address. Last message, I told her I was disputing it with PayPal and VRBO, and she called right back. Place ended up being great, but dealing with individual owners can be a hassle.

Top Bottom