• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Drove past the Ice Tree today. It's SE of Indianapolis, just East of the Acton Road Exit on 74. Pretty neat looking, and the families been doing it for over 50 years. Can't tell by the pic, but it's about 25-30 ft tall.

410754185.jpg

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    We lived at the south end of that sub division...Bloomfield Lakes Estates for 21 years. Great people. I've seen it nearly twice that high. Had they thrown the food coloring on it yet? Oh yeah, there are some really nice large mouth in that pond!

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Is that just all ice? Could get nasty if fell over. Do they drip water on the top constantly?

Yep, and the occasional snowfall. It's piped up at least 30 foot onto a hand made (every year) structure and the water is pumped out of the pond and through a couple of spray heads at the top. The water shoots up probably another 10'- 15' from there. It just keeps growing. Once they are up to about as high as it will go they pipe in food coloring and hence the colors down the sides.

In all the years that we lived there and even all the years I've known about it prior it's never fallen. I've seen it last until May before. Vernon Veal lived there and owned an insurance agency. He did start it out over 50 years ago. When he passed away his son and wife kept it going each year and still do.

Here's a link to it's web page https://www.facebook.com/vealsicetree

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    There is a video of the top of it falling off. Pieces scatter from the house to the pond.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Cool tradition. Took the family to see it the past 2 winters. Funny that my wife grew up in SE Indiana and never heard about it until we moved back in 2011.

Top Bottom