Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Talking Hubble Space Telescope turns 25 tomorrow.

I wasn't even a year old yet when this telescope was first put into orbit. It's not without its difficulties as when the first image came in, it was distorted and they noticed the mirror had a flaw. A few years later they had fixes for all the cameras on Hubble to fix the distortion caused by the primary mirror. After that fix and the many Shuttle Servicing missions on Hubble it has continued to produce amazing images of the cosmos.

Happy Birthday Hubble.

Pillars of Creation:

Ultra Deep Field:

Wonderlust 2: official 25th anniversary image.

Original Image:
    http://www.space.com/images/i/000/04...sary-image.png

User Info Menu

The older I get the more I think that NASA has some guy in the basement with a degree in photoshop.

User Info Menu

That's too fffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr.

I had the wife's telescope out the other night. I think the mirror needs a cleaning or something. I was looking at Venus and Jupiter, they had a starburst effect on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jomibe View Post
    The older I get the more I think that NASA has some guy in the basement with a degree in photoshop.
    I thought they were photoshopped. I thought the different colors represented something.

EDIT: here HubbleSite - Behind the Pictures - Meaning of Color

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ericpwp View Post
    That's too fffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr.

I had the wife's telescope out the other night. I think the mirror needs a cleaning or something. I was looking at Venus and Jupiter, they had a starburst effect on them.
    Maybe dew was on the mirror? If you wrap the Optical Tube assembly with a few hand warmers it will help fight off dew. If that is the problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ericpwp View Post
    I thought they were photoshopped. I thought the different colors represented something.

EDIT: here HubbleSite - Behind the Pictures - Meaning of Color
    That's pretty cool.
    ‘88 (aka ‘88, the mad scientist)

User Info Menu

Figured I'd put this here.

'Serious gap' in cosmic expansion rate hints at new physics - BBC News

The unit of measurement used to describe the expansion is called the Hubble Constant, after 20th Century astronomer Edwin Hubble - after whom the orbiting space observatory is named.
    Appropriately, Prof Riess has been using the Wide Field Camera 3 instrument on the Hubble telescope (installed during the last servicing mission to the iconic observatory) to help refine his measurements of the constant.

Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

And this

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nsion-universe
    What detecting gravitational waves means for the expansion of the universe

Observing gravitational waves and light waves at the same time offers a third, independent way to measure how fast the universe is expanding. For now, that rate lies frustratingly right between the two clashing measurements scientists already had, at 70 km/s per megaparsec. But it’s still imprecise. Once LIGO and other observatories have seen 10 or 20 more neutron star collisions, researchers should be able to tell which measurement is correct and figure out whether dark energy needs an update, Zumalacárregui says.
    You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you

User Info Menu

That's totally different.

Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

We have gotten some phenomenal pictures / data off of Hubble, I for one am ultra excited for James Webb to go up. Exciting times folks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Dude, from what I can tell from your photos, you don't do anything bargin bin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast