Hubble Space Telescope turns 25 tomorrow.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I wasn't even a year old yet when this telescope was first put into orbit. It's not without its difficulties as when the first image came in, it was distorted and they noticed the mirror had a flaw. A few years later they had fixes for all the cameras on Hubble to fix the distortion caused by the primary mirror. After that fix and the many Shuttle Servicing missions on Hubble it has continued to produce amazing images of the cosmos.

Happy Birthday Hubble.

Pillars of Creation:
    p1501ay_0.jpg

Ultra Deep Field:
    hs-2012-37-a-large_web.jpg

Wonderlust 2: official 25th anniversary image.
    hubble-anniversary-image.png

Original Image:
    http://www.space.com/images/i/000/047/158/original/hubble-anniversary-image.png

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    That's too fffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr.

I had the wife's telescope out the other night. I think the mirror needs a cleaning or something. I was looking at Venus and Jupiter, they had a starburst effect on them.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    That's too fffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr.

I had the wife's telescope out the other night. I think the mirror needs a cleaning or something. I was looking at Venus and Jupiter, they had a starburst effect on them.

Maybe dew was on the mirror? If you wrap the Optical Tube assembly with a few hand warmers it will help fight off dew. If that is the problem.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Figured I'd put this here. :)

'Serious gap' in cosmic expansion rate hints at new physics - BBC News

The unit of measurement used to describe the expansion is called the Hubble Constant, after 20th Century astronomer Edwin Hubble - after whom the orbiting space observatory is named.
    Appropriately, Prof Riess has been using the Wide Field Camera 3 instrument on the Hubble telescope (installed during the last servicing mission to the iconic observatory) to help refine his measurements of the constant.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And this :)

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/what-detecting-gravitational-waves-means-expansion-universe
    What detecting gravitational waves means for the expansion of the universe

Observing gravitational waves and light waves at the same time offers a third, independent way to measure how fast the universe is expanding. For now, that rate lies frustratingly right between the two clashing measurements scientists already had, at 70 km/s per megaparsec. But it’s still imprecise. Once LIGO and other observatories have seen 10 or 20 more neutron star collisions, researchers should be able to tell which measurement is correct and figure out whether dark energy needs an update, Zumalacárregui says.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    We have gotten some phenomenal pictures / data off of Hubble, I for one am ultra excited for James Webb to go up. Exciting times folks!!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/astronomers-glimpse-cosmic-dawn-stars-switched-183632246.html

This is pretty cool. :)

When this signal was found and examined, it showed that the hydrogen between stars was "even colder than the coldest we thought possible," said Rennan Barkana, a Tel Aviv University astrophysicist who wrote a companion study on the dark matter implications of the discovery. The researchers expected temperatures to be 10 degrees above absolute zero, but they were 5 degrees above absolute zero (minus 451 degrees Fahrenheit, or minus 268 degrees Celsius).
    "The only thing we know from this signal is that something very weird is going on," Barkana said.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I dunno. Just seems too abract to be proven, or useful :dunno:

Hmmm... interesting.

I think it is abstract, but easier for me to wrap my head around than some of the quantum stuff. This is really just about measuring radio waves and making inferences based on known variables.

Top Bottom