• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am wanting to get my aquaponics system going in the next month or so, and it's in an area I don't have power. It's on a different lot and I probably can't run power there anyway. I'm going to get a solar panel, probably two deep-cycle 12v batteries, and a charge controller. I should be able to run a 110v fountain pump all season on that. It takes 40W to run. I'll also use it to power my lighting around the fire pit.

i'll update thread as I select products and have wiring and planning questions

i'm hoping to do a 250W Panel or so. I'll also wire in some cell chargers around the place in dry boxes :):

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You are doing this in a house with a labordoodle?

Your hydroponics tanks will be closed, right? With the hydroponics grow operation, do we now have to address you are "Doctor Dude"?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You are doing this in a house with a labordoodle?

Your hydroponics tanks will be closed, right? With the hydroponics grow operation, do we now have to address you are "Doctor Dude"?

Shhhh.....!!!!

actually going to do aquaponics. This season will just test it and probably do some late season crops. Next year hopefully I'll do trout and a full garden :):

this year I'll probably steal some bluegill from somewhere.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Hey Doc, how about you use a 12 volt marine water pump and that will keep you from getting a 120 volt inverter.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Better wording from me would be 12 V DC pump.. Pond/ fountain or marine.
    Sorry.

I'm still learning, but from what I've read is the 12v pumps burn out quickly when used continuously. Rumor is you can spend hundreds of dollars to get one that doesn't but that is a bit pricey. I think I want around 90gph at 4'.

http://flagshipmarine.com/marinepumps.html

this page has a line of continuous drive brushless DC motors that could work. At $170 it's still a bit pricey but if 12W allows me to save a battery and buy a smaller array that may be worth it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom