CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: All things Islam...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In response to the first thread getting so crowded and difficult to follow (Predict the 1st Banning for uncivil behavior in the new Religious Threads...) here is a new thread specifically to discuss aspects of this topic. As the weekend progresses I will attempt to pull the relevant bits out of the old thread and paste them into this one, in order to (attempt to) create one cohesive thread on the subject.

Have at it, INGO:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Whether hopped up on `shrooms or in the midsts of a hypoglycemic shock, fail to do exactly what a cop tells you to do, and you're instantly convicted of contempt of cop.

Care to elaborate a bit? I don't want to assume that you're implying "contempt of cop" = "gonna get shot"

Edit: Nevermind. Completely off-topic.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Serious question: Should ISIS be discussed here or in the other thread? Or both?

Or maybe that question is a discussion in and of itself? :dunno:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think ISIS is a fertile enough ground to support a thread of its own. This thread should be for Islam in general. Any ISIS-specific religion issues should be aired in that other thread.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My guess is that the same underlying problem is going to happen in this thread that happened in threads which involved the politics of Islam and accompanying bans 6 months ago. When dealing with Islam, religion and politics are inextricably linked by virtue of that culture having no concept of separation of religion and state. It is impossible to have any honest discussion of actions we would consider not religious per se committed at the hands of Moslems without discussing religion for this reason, and unless we are just going to have a thread-long Quran-quoting contest, it is difficult to discuss the religion without the actions being done in its name.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Too true. It's like discussing business in China separate from the government. Under Chinese Communism, there's no meaningful separation between business and the State. Under Islam, there's no meaningful separation between religion and the State. That fact is at the core of the existence of IS, but I still believe we can discuss Islam, it's problems and its virtues, without everything winding up about IS.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Too true. It's like discussing business in China separate from the government. Under Chinese Communism, there's no meaningful separation between business and the State. Under Islam, there's no meaningful separation between religion and the State. That fact is at the core of the existence of IS, but I still believe we can discuss Islam, it's problems and its virtues, without everything winding up about IS.

I agree that it doesn't have to take in IS per se, but it will necessarily take in the same motivations and mindset that serve as the foundation for the IS.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    ISIS here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...vil-discussion-isis-religious-point-view.html

Islam and it's impact/influence on ISIS is definitely it's own topic.

Exactly. We have multiple threads to prevent the cumbersome and confusing amalgamation of everything that was starting to develop. It is a good tool of organization with the caveat that to a great extent it amounts to looking at the same people and their deeds from different perspectives.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Whatever ISIS/ISIL is, they are not a peace loving people, they are ruthless, without mercy, and bloodthirsty. What they are may have NOTHING to do with what Islam is, and more to do with what their political views are and what their sick interpretation of Islam is, I do not know. Do not underestimate their leadership, and do not underestimate their conviction to their cause du jour. It looks like they will strap on a bomb vest and walk right into a pre-school ala Tim McVeigh. They are here, we don't need to wait on them, and our team isn't doing much to slow them down anywhere. What's our problem?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    An ISIS cleric just issued fatwa against… pigeons. Is there anything in the Quran forbidding pigeons? No? Then such BS by IS belongs in the religious thread about IS, not in a thread about Islam.

Not necessarily. I have not researched the Quran on the subject of pigeons, but taking this at face value, it would stand as an example of IS deviating from Islam according to the standard I would accept (i.e., following the book and the teaching and example of Mohammad).

Top Bottom