• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive got an idea, and would like to get a used shipping container. For those that have bought them in the past, where did you buy? I dont care what it looks like, and only need 10' long but would take 20' since they seem to be easier to find.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Prepper bunker?

Portable shooting tower. If I get 20' off the ground, I have a 1200ish yd range. If I get 13 feet off the ground (about where I will be) Ill be able to get roughly 1k.

For years Ive tried to find a good solution for a shooting tower. The hickup has always been it has to be portable, and without posts stability would be a issue.

I bought a 20' flatbed deckover trailer yesterday, and figure I can buy a shipping container, set it on and off as I need to, and have my stability, and portability.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Portable shooting tower. If I get 20' off the ground, I have a 1200ish yd range. If I get 13 feet off the ground (about where I will be) Ill be able to get roughly 1k.

For years Ive tried to find a good solution for a shooting tower. The hickup has always been it has to be portable, and without posts stability would be a issue.

I bought a 20' flatbed deckover trailer yesterday, and figure I can buy a shipping container, set it on and off as I need to, and have my stability, and portability.

Ooooooh very cool. I know my newest best friend.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Reactions: Mij

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Storage is bonus!
    From what I gather, the roof is the first thing to rust... may be wise to check that since it's what you'll be using. then coat it real good with some roofing sealant or who knows what

postell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2015
    Indiana
    I own a couple of twenty footers, ten will be too small. I store junk in one and all my loading equipment is in another. I cut in a solid steel swing door in the side of the loading container to make access easier and I also installed railing around three sides of the top. If someone stumbled while on top I don't want them to fall off. Lol
    I pointed the end doors downrange and if I want I just open the end doors and shoot from inside, it makes load development much easier. ☺
    I did not buy mine locally so I am not any help with that. I will suggest that you go and look at the containers before you buy and pick the one you want and mark it with a shot of spray paint so you know you get the one you picked. Check the way the doors swing open and closed and make sure the container is square when you are closing the doors. If it a twisted box it will leak around the doors. also check for rust around the bottom of the doors, Thats usally the first place they rust, being around salt water all the years when it was in service.
    Each door lock bar has a double lock on the top and bottom of each door. Most resellers torch cut one lock off each of the locks so its much easier to open and close the doors. There will be a data plate inside of the container stating where and when it was built. Most that have wood floors were pressure treated with chlorodane. I have had mine over 20 years, very worthwhile. I painted them when I bought them with oilbase Rustoleum and I added hardener to the paint and sprayed them dark green.
    The bright orange was a little much for me. And it helps them blend better.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    @ mom45: How big? How much?

20 footer. Came out of Iowa and with delivery was about $1400 if I am recalling correctly. We made sure they knew that it needed to be in good condition and rust free or we would refuse delivery.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I picked up a pair of 20 footers in great shape for someone. $500. Helluva deal.

I kept popping into places along my old commute that had them until I found someone who clearly didn't want to bother with them and was happy I'd be taking a pair.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I picked up a pair of 20 footers in great shape for someone. $500. Helluva deal.

I kept popping into places along my old commute that had them until I found someone who clearly didn't want to bother with them and was happy I'd be taking a pair.

That is an AWESOME deal. I wonder if they are getting cheaper since we got ours. It seemed like they were all running higher than we paid for any in good shape.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    I have a 67 mustang stored in a 40 ft container. Mouse proof. It is a little tight on the sides but two cars fit nicely.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    That is an AWESOME deal. I wonder if they are getting cheaper since we got ours. It seemed like they were all running higher than we paid for any in good shape.

I think this was a combination of luck and persistence. The cheapest I had found otherwise were about $1000 each IIRC. I really didn't even know there was much of a market for them outside shipping companies, otherwise I would have bought everything the guy would have sold me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom