• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd like for this thread to be a sort of "catch-all" for the non-standard sorts of media consumption. Outside of TV and movies...

What do you listen to on the radio? What are your favorite YouTube channels that you subscribe to? Are you watching any particular anime lately?

Radio: I've been listening to Bob & Tom (and Q95) most of my life. I've met some of the staff, and I still have conversations with those close to the show. I also listen to WIBC on occasion. Having worked at Emmis Communications in the past, I was always fascinated with radio and the personalities that make it.

That, and I've always been big into classic rock. I have a sizeable vinyl collection of some pretty nice stuff... it's just about all I listen to.

YouTube: The YouTube channels that I frequent most are listed here in no particular order

* Game Grumps (gaming/comedy)
    * Yogscast Sips (gaming/comedy)
    * "Did You Know" Gaming (gaming trivia)
    * Hickok45 (guns)
    * Jon Tron Show (gaming/comedy)
    * Made Men ("SpeakEasy" - Paul F Tompkins interviews celebrities)
    * Mister Metokur (Anti-SJW)
    * Sargon of Akkad (Anti-SJW)
    * Smarter Every Day (Educational)
    * Team Four Star (DBZ Abridged)
    * The Game Theorists (gaming trivia)
    * TotalBiscuit (gaming/business)
    * VSauce (educational)
    * TheIshter (anime piano music)

There are many more, but they're mostly one-offs.

Anime: I watch a lot of anime. I have a semi-scheduled anime-night at my place every week, and we go through current anime as well as past anime. My group is currently watching Fate/Stay UBW, ToraDora, Danmachi, Nisekoi, and Spice & Wolf. Every season, this changes though. I'm also doing a personal re-watch of the Monogatari Series... my favorite anime of all time at the moment.

Every now and then, we go back and rewatch classics... like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo... etc etc.b A lot of the stuff we watch, we've seen before... but my wife is seeing for the first time.

On a side note, if you're interested in anime... I've got plenty of free-trials of Crunchyroll, the anime streaming service, that I can hand out.

So, INGO.... what alt media do you partake in? Anything I missed here that should be included? Podcasts, Livestreams, etc... Do share!

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I get all my news from Red v. Blue.

The Rooster Teeth group has been around for a while now. I watched RvB really early on, only the first couple seasons. Might have to go back and finish it one day.

It's one of those internet series that really took off... and became referenced in other pop culture. Still catch up on some Achievement Hunter episodes here and there.

Was a shame with Monty Oum passed away a few months ago.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Aw man, I had no idea! Very sad. Tragic actually. What a gifted individual.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Meh...with data limited internet service, data-gulping, internet based, alternate media sources are just not in the cards for me.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey GPhgnhnhn,

What's your take on the subreddit closures.
    Reddit shuts down 'harassing' forums - BBC News

I mean, it doesn't seem like those spots were places you frequented anyway, but is it smart business or a slippery slope?

I'm loving this right now. Reddit is trying to create "safe spaces" for everyone. Once you ban a subreddit, the entirety of reddit becomes that sub (today, about 80% of the top threads are anti-Pao, anti-Reddit.)

Censorship is what killed Digg and other sites before Reddit. I'm looking forward to it's imminent demise. Chairman Pao needs to leave. This isn't how Aaron Swartz envisioned it.

Ellen Pao is a typical social justice warrior. She's trying to push that view on the entirety of Reddit, and I don't think the users are going to accept it.

She lost her gender discrimination case, and I believe she's appealing it: http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...-if-you-like-bullying-vexatious-opportunists/. I'd love to see her go bankrupt.

Reddit alternatives are starting to pop up.

Petitions demanding her to leave: https://www.change.org/p/ellen-k-pao-step-down-as-ceo-of-reddit-inc

Sums it up nicely:

3d2d1a4bbf6fcae55cdde627c46ab85b.png

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I agree that this course has been charted before. I've seen a similar trajectory in online forums I've been part of over the years.

With Reddit, though, I'd be disappointed if that happened. I think it would be a bit of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. There's so much really cool stuff on there, and this stoopid stuff was just a small part. Of course, the problem is that if there was an issue, it is those small parts that would get the negative attention.

I remember in the hours/days after the Boston bombing, it seemed like the /s/ that was set up to crowd-source pics of the aftermath were helpful in tracking down details. Might have been just an illusion - "doing" isn't the same as "helping" - and there were some false leads, but overall it was pretty amazing to watch.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't disagree, it's got plenty of good. Just awful, awful management. If they can clean it up and return to not censoring what they deem to be unacceptable, it'll do just fine. But, they don't need to. It's their website, they can run it how they wish. I look forward to seeing better replacements. (voat.co is growing quickly, and supports free-speech. It's servers are unable to handle the current influx of new users, though.)

I think it would be a bit of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

. . . You havin' a giggle there, mate?

oIo4AF2.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

Not a GOT guy (the ending of the first episode was too... emotionally galling) and that's a totally gross pic.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hey GP,

Any credible reddit activity on trying to figure out the Charleston shooter?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, saw that, but can't find any crowd-sourcing type thing like what happened after the Boston Marathon bombing. For instance, how do they not know what car that is? Seems like 15 minutes on the internet and there would be people arguing over what dealership it came from - the make/model/year/accessory package would be totally figured out.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, saw that, but can't find any crowd-sourcing type thing like what happened after the Boston Marathon bombing. For instance, how do they not know what car that is? Seems like 15 minutes on the internet and there would be people arguing over what dealership it came from - the make/model/year/accessory package would be totally figured out.

I'm thinking maybe they learned their lesson from the Boston incident, and might be holding off on the witch-hunts. Lot of innocent people got targeted then.

This one seems more cut-and-dry, a solid suspect, not a huge amount of people involved.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011