• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Kicking around the idea of replacing the counter tops in the kitchen. I know granite looks fantastic but I'm not sure if it has any drawbacks. Anyone done the research and come up with a conclusion of what material is the best overall? I'm only looking at around 50 square feet so I won't have to take out a second mortgage hopefully. We would like to sell in a few years and I plan to upgrade what I can when I can until then.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    I own a custom cabinet shop. I probably install 3 or 4 Quartz tops for every Granite top. Quartz is a zero maintenance product, as mentioned above, Granite does require annual sealing. Typically quartz is the same price for all colors while Granite pricing can vary based on the rarity of the stone.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I own a custom cabinet shop. I probably install 3 or 4 Quartz tops for every Granite top. Quartz is a zero maintenance product, as mentioned above, Granite does require annual sealing. Typically quartz is the same price for all colors while Granite pricing can vary based on the rarity of the stone.

Thank you for the input. Is there an average price I can expect to pay for quartz?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had Corian at the old house and ordered it for the kitchen in this one. Old product, but it looks great. I have granite on the downstairs bar top though, just fit better.

Gunner72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Granite is clearly one of the best and more expensive products you can use. But have you looked at concrete? You can stain to any color or combination of colors then seal. Very little maintenance after the sealer.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. We are going with Corian counter tops when the new cabinets are installed.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    We have granite, quartz, concrete and wood in our kitchen. By far the best surface is the Quartz, we would use more of it in a new kitchen..

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Granite is unique and can be very beautiful. When the light hits parts of it it sparkles... naturally. There is nothing like it. Awesome. They mine it and cut it into slabs and polish it. No two slabs are the same. I added halogen lights to accent the beauty of the sparkles.

It is also unforgiving... you accidentally tap the rim of a glass on it and the glass usually loses. It is cold as heck like a giant slab of cold rock. It's heavy as heck... like very heavy. Does it have a corner? You won't believe how sophisticated the process is to bring the top surfaces up to be on the same plane. The installers must really have the right equipment and experience. We used Santarosa Marble and Tile. Great folks. Expensive but in this case I believe you get what you pay for in the installation department.

On the next project we did the bathroom. I nixed granite and went with a cultured marble from Imperial Marble. Molded and beautiful in it's own unique way. Much more reasonable cost.

Frankly, if you are going to sell in a few years I would not do granite. I would do quartz or another engineered solid surface.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg

We went with granite because it was significantly cheaper than others solid surfaces($27 per sq ft) and it looked more natural/random than quartz.

You will likely be happy with the performance of either but when you start looking you'll see the difference between the two and some people prefer the randomness of granite vs the "same everywhere" look of quartz and other man made solid surfaces.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Have you considered a nice laminate? Formica (and other brands) have nice granite like patterns for sale. If you are selling soon, you could do laminate for considerably less and make allowances for a new counter to the buyer, if it even comes up.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I sell contact adhesives for laminates and MMA seaming kits for granite, quartz and Solid Surface. If I was going to be selling the house in the near future I would look at one of the higher end laminates that have a very durable wear surface and look great. If you are putting money in new cabinets and appliance then go with a quartz or solid surface product to add value to the house.

I even have customers that do a hybrid counter top that has a laminate top with two color solid surface edge that gives the appearance of a solid surface top at a lower cost.

Here is a link to our products.
    Sta'-Put | Bonding Solutions From Laminate to Granite

Top Bottom