• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The USS Indianapolis was a Cruiser that was torpedoed by a Japanese sub just a month before the end of WWII. It was on a secret mission and the ship sank within 15 minutes, no distress signal was sent. While 900 of the crew was able to survive the sinking, sharks, dehydration and exposure killed 2/3 of them before being found 6 days later. According to this USA Today article, a movie may be made.

Hollywood to tell harrowing story of the USS Indianapolis

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Trigger warningz!!

Casts nature in a bad light, racist toward Japanese, victims all white guys, they delivered the A-bomb components. What else...

See what the reviewers make of it, if it's ever released...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No radio report sent, because one of the torpedoes took out the communications.
    Not being reported overdue had nothing to do with their mission they just completed. It was because movements of ALL warships were secret.
    Telling ports ahead of time to expect warships could let the enemy know.

They already made a movie. JAWS.

[video=youtube;u9S41Kplsbs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs[/video]

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I worked with a guy whose Dad was a survivor, there was only a handful left last year doing reunions still. He said his Dad never talked about it to him, then a few years ago wrote a short book about it for his family members to read. He then went to a local school and told his story to the students. Guy I worked with took off from work to go visit that school to hear his Dad tell his story.

I was sad to find out he passed away last Feb. RIP

Clarence L. Hershberger - Elkhart Truth

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Took a ride to Indy yesterday to visit the memorial on the canal for the first time. Didn't expect to see part of the reunion happening in front of us. Two of her surviving sailors were there when we were. Humbling....

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The USS Indianapolis was a Cruiser that was torpedoed by a Japanese sub just a month before the end of WWII. It was on a secret mission and the ship sank within 15 minutes, no distress signal was sent. While 900 of the crew was able to survive the sinking, sharks, dehydration and exposure killed 2/3 of them before being found 6 days later.

Dude. You gotta say "spoiler alert" before giving away the ending like that.:rolleyes:

Now I have to file it with movies like Titanic, Pearl Harbor, etc that I don't need to see cause I knows hows they ends.;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No radio report sent, because one of the torpedoes took out the communications.
    Not being reported overdue had nothing to do with their mission they just completed. It was because movements of ALL warships were secret.
    Telling ports ahead of time to expect warships could let the enemy know.

They already made a movie. JAWS.

[video=youtube;u9S41Kplsbs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs[/video]

I remember this scene when I first saw the movie in 1975 with a date, I would bet the temperature in the theater went down ten degrees. Superb acting on Robert Shaw's part, he should have gotten a Oscar for those lines alone.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    With current gore standards- yes, it would be tough. "Mission of the Shark" is older school. Far less gore, though the story is just as rough.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    +1 on Leadeye's comment about Robert Shaw's incredible story in Jaws, quoted above.
    It's even cooler that Shaw wrote the final draft of the version of the story he tells in the movie, as he was a very literate man.
    And, yes, it's good that they will finally do a theatrical version portraying the sinking.
    Hopefully, they will keep it as close as possible to how it went down, harrowing details and all.
    Freedom isn't free.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A different naval disaster and a different navy (The Royal British Navy), but horrific nonetheless.
    The men trying to escape are clearly on the hull of the ship as it upends before the huge explosion. :(

[video=youtube;YdrISbwy_zI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrISbwy_zI[/video]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Undisclosed Location
    The sinking of the USS Juneau is just as bad if not worse than the fate of the crew of the Indianapolis. The Juneau went down with other US ships nearby and they didn't look for survivors. 100+ went into the water and 8 days later the remaining 10 were rescued. The 5 Sullivan brothers were on the USS Juneau.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    How did I miss that?
    No wonder Shaw had such good raw material to use for his final draft.

Here ya go...

Steven Spielberg:
    I owe three people a lot for this speech. You’ve heard all this, but you’ve probably never heard it from me. There’s a lot of apocryphal reporting about who did what on Jaws and I’ve heard it for the last three decades, but the fact is the speech was conceived by Howard Sackler, who was an uncredited writer, didn’t want a credit and didn’t arbitrate for one, but he’s the guy that broke the back of the script before we ever got to Martha’s Vineyard to shoot the movie.

I hired later Carl Gottlieb to come onto the island, who was a friend of mine, to punch up the script, but Howard conceived of the Indianapolis speech. I had never heard of the Indianapolis before Howard, who wrote the script at the Bel Air Hotel and I was with him a couple times a week reading pages and discussing them.

Howard one day said, “Quint needs some motivation to show all of us what made him the way he is and I think it’s this Indianapolis incident.” I said, “Howard, what’s that?” And he explained the whole incident of the Indianapolis and the Atomic Bomb being delivered and on its way back it was sunk by a submarine and sharks surrounded the helpless sailors who had been cast adrift and it was just a horrendous piece of World War II history. Howard didn’t write a long speech, he probably wrote about three-quarters of a page.

But then, when I showed the script to my friend John Milius, John said “Can I take a crack at this speech?” and John wrote a 10 page monologue, that was absolutely brilliant, but out-sized for the Jaws I was making! (laughs) But it was brilliant and then Robert Shaw took the speech and Robert did the cut down. Robert himself was a fine writer, who had written the play The Man in the Glass Booth. Robert took a crack at the speech and he brought it down to five pages. So, that was sort of the evolution just of that speech.

Top Bottom