Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I know I am getting ready to set off a real **** storm here, and I am not looking to debate the issue, but I just wanted to share my personal experience.

My sister and her two daughters are Pit Bull rescue advocates. My two nieces both have multiple Pit Bulls and all three of them constantly make sarcastic comments about peoples attitudes toward the breed.

I will admit that every time I have been around their dogs, they are sweet and very lovable. I am not arguing that they can't be good pets.....right up until they snap one day.

The thing is that one of niece "A" dogs attacked and nearly killed one of her other Pits. Her attitude was well the dog that got attacked always taunted the other. No blame was put on the attacking dog.

Yesterday, I am at niece "B" house and we find out they just got their 3 pits back because they got out and one of them killed a neighbors Jack Russel. Again, it was the Jack's fault because those dogs are aggressive and have a little mans syndrome. The Jack was on a leash with his owner at the time.

Years ago I had a 160lb Rottweiler next door to me that attacked one of the owners other dogs and nearly killed it. Again they blamed the little dog as it was always provoking the big dog. They finally had to put it down after it attacked a neighbor on the other side of the fence.

I don't pretend to say that these 3 cases proves anything, but all 3 people that I have known who own aggressive breeds have had major issues.

BTW my mothers miniature poodle has bitten far more often than any of these dogs I am referring to. I get that small breeds are inbreed neurotic little yap dogs. What I also know is that none of her bites has ever resulted in more than a band aid or lasted longer than a quick "get out of my space" snap.

I guess I just don't get the attraction to these breeds. I had a German Shepard that passed several years ago who I would have trusted to take on anyone or anything. It is just that for him being aggressive was a job. It was to protect me and my family.

I once had a Lab charge us while I was walking Max and he was on that dog like white on rice. However when I yelled for him to stop, he stopped and was back to wagging his tail. It just seems like when Pits and Rottweilers do become aggressive, they can't be stopped.

I know a lot of Pit owners are going to chime in and tell me how great they are. If you have had good experiences, great. I just don't understand why you want to take the risk. To me it's like owning a gun who has a reputation of occasionally going off even though the safety is on. Would you own a gun like that?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know I am getting ready to set off a real **** storm here, and I am not looking to debate the issue, but I just wanted to share my personal experience.

My sister and her two daughters are Pit Bull rescue advocates. My two nieces both have multiple Pit Bulls and all three of them constantly make sarcastic comments about peoples attitudes toward the breed.

I will admit that every time I have been around their dogs, they are sweet and very lovable. I am not arguing that they can't be good pets.....right up until they snap one day.

The thing is that one of niece "A" dogs attacked and nearly killed one of her other Pits. Her attitude was well the dog that got attacked always taunted the other. No blame was put on the attacking dog.

Yesterday, I am at niece "B" house and we find out they just got their 3 pits back because they got out and one of them killed a neighbors Jack Russel. Again, it was the Jack's fault because those dogs are aggressive and have a little mans syndrome. The Jack was on a leash with his owner at the time.

Years ago I had a 160lb Rottweiler next door to me that attacked one of the owners other dogs and nearly killed it. Again they blamed the little dog as it was always provoking the big dog. They finally had to put it down after it attacked a neighbor on the other side of the fence.

I don't pretend to say that these 3 cases proves anything, but all 3 people that I have known who own aggressive breeds have had major issues.

BTW my mothers miniature poodle has bitten far more often than any of these dogs I am referring to. I get that small breeds are inbreed neurotic little yap dogs. What I also know is that none of her bites has ever resulted in more than a band aid or lasted longer than a quick "get out of my space" snap.

I guess I just don't get the attraction to these breeds. I had a German Shepard that passed several years ago who I would have trusted to take on anyone or anything. It is just that for him being aggressive was a job. It was to protect me and my family.

I once had a Lab charge us while I was walking Max and he was on that dog like white on rice. However when I yelled for him to stop, he stopped and was back to wagging his tail. It just seems like when Pits and Rottweilers do become aggressive, they can't be stopped.

I know a lot of Pit owners are going to chime in and tell me how great they are. If you have had good experiences, great. I just don't understand why you want to take the risk. To me it's like owning a gun who has a reputation of occasionally going off even though the safety is on. Would you own a gun like that?

You are referring to a Glock right.

Just thought I would throw a diversion into this before the breed lovers run you over.....:)

Not every Rot/Pit is nuts but enough to send up a red flag. Owners often train them to be idiots but sometimes they do just go off. They are dogs. Period. Nothing magic.
    We have had endless problems with pit's loose in our area. These are not nice loving dogs.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    google-plus-incoming_zpszejm2xxw.jpg

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Rescued as in abandoned or taken away from someone who abused them? I have a cousin that has a pit that was abused by someone else that only him and his mom can be around. If somebody comes over they have to lock the dog up. Yes it is good for home protection but a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I also have a cousin who raised a pit from a pup, love and no abuse. That dog I don't worry about.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    The only worthwhile part of your post.

At least I am honest and admit that my 3 (100% of people I know personally) cases don't prove anything. Will you be honest and admit that the 460,000 videos that come up when you enter "pit bull attack" in You Tube is an indication that this is more than just a "media bias"?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    We have a pit. She's the sweetest dog ever. She bit me once while playing, that was the last time. As long as they're treated right, they're fine.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Rescued as in abandoned or taken away from someone who abused them? I have a cousin that has a pit that was abused by someone else that only him and his mom can be around. If somebody comes over they have to lock the dog up. Yes it is good for home protection but a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I also have a cousin who raised a pit from a pup, love and no abuse. That dog I don't worry about.

Niece B's 3 were raised from pups, I am not sure about niece A's.

I'm not one of those people who just jump on a bandwagon. However if you research how the breed came about, they were bread as fighting dogs. There was a "sport" called Bullbaiting where the dogs were put in a ring to kill a bull. It just makes sense that if they snap and revert to their breeding, the results are usually catastrophic. Again, not all dogs will snap, but when they do its bad.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    At least I am honest and admit that my 3 (100% of people I know personally) cases don't prove anything. Will you be honest and admit that the 460,000 videos that come up when you enter "pit bull attack" in You Tube is an indication that this is more than just a "media bias"?

What about the 100,000 Chihuahua attack videos? Did you verify EVERY video to make sure that it was: a legitimate pit bull attack AND not a repeat or news story?

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    We have a pit. She's the sweetest dog ever. She bit me once while playing, that was the last time. As long as they're treated right, they're fine.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not saying all pits are evil killing machines. I just don't know how you tell for sure which ones will snap. I am sure that neither Niece thought their dogs would attack and don't think they ever will again, but yet they did.

I am just not willing to put my family or my other dogs in possible harms way when there are so many other breeds out there who don't have a history of aggression.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    All dog breeds have a "history" of aggression, it's to what extent its reported to the media to spin it.

Pekingese are actually "hunting" dogs. Just saying. Hunting dogs are vicious, right?

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    What about the 100,000 Chihuahua attack videos? Did you verify EVERY video to make sure that it was: a legitimate pit bull attack AND not a repeat or news story?

Of course not and I will even say that it is possible that Chihuahuas attack more often than Pits. They are neurotic little yap yap dogs that I would not own but the difference is a Band Aid vs total facial reconstruction or death.

Again, are you willing to be honest and just say that you recognize that Pit attacks, no matter how frequent or infrequent, tend to cause more damage than just about any other breed?

I just don't understand the fascination with the breed. There are so many great breeds out there not to mention a good old mutt.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I would agree that they do a LOT of damage. However, they're also a fairly large dog. I had no choice with the Pit. She came with the girlfriend. Great temperament though.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

As nippy and bitey as lap dogs can be, they are incapable of inflicting the damage , disfigurement and death that the Bully Breeds are capable of.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Any dog can me made mean. And a lot of morons make pits mean. They have a fierce looking stance.

I have a pit. He's a big baby. I can't get him to bark when someone comes over. Most of the time I have to lock him up when strangers come over. Not because of meanness. It's because he won't leave them alone. He wants petted, scratch & cuddled. He wants a lot of attention.

I am never going to get rid of my dog because of someones unwarranted fear. FWIW, if you want to talk about mean dogs let's talk about poodles. I've been bit by a lot more of them then any other dog.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Any dog can me made mean. And a lot of morons make pits mean. They have a fierce looking stance.

I have a pit. He's a big baby. I can't get him to bark when someone comes over. Most of the time I have to lock him up when strangers come over. Not because of meanness. It's because he won't leave them alone. He wants petted, scratch & cuddled. He wants a lot of attention.

I am never going to get rid of my dog because of someones unwarranted fear. FWIW, if you want to talk about mean dogs let's talk about poodles. I've been bit by a lot more of them then any other dog.

Agreed. Or dachshunds

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have two pits that are rescue dogs. The first day I brought them home, they were on guard and growled at anyone they didn't know. I quickly taught them I was in charge. Now, when someone comes around that they don't know, they calmly sit and wait for the stranger to pet them. Aggression is a learned trait, it doesn't matter what breed. Aggression can be taught just as easily as submission.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

If my dog was on a leash and 3 pits attacked him, I don't know where I would stop in response.

That is p*ss poor training by niece B, and it's just a matter of time until the pack kills another dog or attacks a child.

And with all due respect, niece B and her family are certifiable.

And please, enough with the 'pugs can be vicious animals too' shtick... It's not helping whatever point you're trying to make. Unless your pit bull was mauled to death by a pekinese.

Top Bottom