• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    How many of you feel you really get to know your fellow posters in the INGO community? Some of us have been around here for quite a few years, and we read each other's posts and give our opinions, but how well do we really get to know each other?

There are challenges specific to a pen pal type relationship. Just how transparent are we with each other? How understood or misunderstood? It's hard enough face to face, but behind a keyboard the challenges of good communication become tougher.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm reminded by the photo I recently saw posted, forgotten where. It showed a cell block, with the caption under it, "I live in a gated community". Many times our comments, that seem clear enough to us are pictured vastly different at the other end of the Internet. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After retiring and moving back home to a ranch I'd hunted as a young man I faced this challenge myself. The ranch owners but a new electric gate in at the cattle guard entering the ranch. It is complete with a clicker I can activate from my pickup truck. But gives us some security in this day of trespass and theft. I jokingly told some of the family the wife & I had retired to a gated community. Which was true in theory but pictures told a different story to most of my kinfolk. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is a 400 acre working cattle ranch, but I only own 2 acres and a house. I am bordered on two sides by the 400 acre ranch and on the other two sides by about 20,000 acres of state wildlife management land. I do half to go through a electrics gate to reach my prosperity. But in most folks mind it's a stretch to call it a gated community, even if there are 4 houses inside the fence. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My point, what kind of brush do we use to portray our self in the picture of INGO. I've made a few wonderful friends on INGO. Some even visit or correspond often. Others don't seem to be good candidates for a close friend. Maybe in a face to face they might be and I just missed the opportunity but all I had to go on was the picture painted of them here on INGO. So we make our assumptions based on that. [/FONT]

Is that right or wrong? I don't know but it's all we have to work with.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recently a poster who has painted a picture of himself as being, critical, arrogant, and very condescending, accused me of making assumptions about him when he said I didn't even know him. I feel I do know him by the picture he painted of himself for me. But I the interest of avoiding a mistake, I asked him a few questions so we will see what he adds to the picture. [/FONT]

Point is we should all consider how we are representing ourselves to each other. It's all we really have to go on.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have met a few people here. Most of them seem to no longer be current active members here. I got to meet Printcraft a few months back. He really is as hip and cool in person as he seems on here. Some people just come across as a dick and I have no doubt they would be one in person as well. So I don't want them to post as anyone other than who they are.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have met a few people here. Most of them seem to no longer be current active members here. I got to meet Printcraft a few months back. He really is as hip and cool in person as he seems on here. Some people just come across as a dick and I have no doubt they would be one in person as well. So I don't want them to post as anyone other than who they are.

Sorry, Expat. I'm trying to do better. ;)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    How many of you feel you really get to know your fellow posters in the INGO community? Some of us have been around here for quite a few years, and we read each other's posts and give our opinions, but how well do we really get to know each other?

:scratch: :dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is the reason for Meet and Eats and Meets And Shoots are popular. Get to know your neighbors are fun things to do.

This^^^^^

A lot of information, intent, sarcasim, wit, and humor gets lost when posting on forums such as this. To a large degree, if you like them from your posting interaction, you'll like them in real life. But for some, their ability to communicate through writing does not do them justice for any real-life interactions you may have with them. I'll have to say that everyone I've ever met at the meet and greets are good people. Sometimes personalities will mesh better with some folks than with others but the people I've spoken with, without exception, I consider good people.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    He might be a long time lurker and new poster?

I have met a lot of people on here and all have been great except one! The guy lied about his kid being sick to avoid a meet up. I backed him in a corner when I agreed to come all the way to meet because I was traveling through that way anyway. He was hedging on the deal but ended up trading once he saw that what I was telling his was correct.

I put him on my do not trade with again list and he has missed some deals he was looking for because of it.

I am better at expressing my thoughts in person than I am in writing.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That sounds pretty arrogant.

So does that. Was it you?

Anyhoo, maybe it was me and it just wasn't important enough for me to remember.

...and this is weird. Join Sept. 2015, I took a look through "posts by" and i didn't read every one, but nothing jumped out at me. Time for a IP check? Whatever, it's nice to know who has the delicate sensibilities.

Top Bottom