• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Out of the blue today, I got some information from a company I used to work for about my pension with them. It seems like they're giving anyone with a pension valued at $50,000 or less some options. You can get your money in a lump sum. You can get your money broken up into payments. You can also wait like normal until retirement age to get your cash.

They're going to send more detailed information starting in October to better help me make a decision, but I wanted to see what some of the more financial savvy folks on here thought. Thanks in advance for the input.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Out of the blue today, I got some information from a company I used to work for about my pension with them. It seems like they're giving anyone with a pension valued at $50,000 or less some options. You can get your money in a lump sum. You can get your money broken up into payments. You can also wait like normal until retirement age to get your cash.

They're going to send more detailed information starting in October to better help me make a decision, but I wanted to see what some of the more financial savvy folks on here thought. Thanks in advance for the input.

Depending on the kind of Pension, it is, you will pay taxes, and maybe a penalty .....

so you MIGHT end up, with around $30,000 cash .....

I am NOT a financial Genuis, and I did NOT sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night .....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That happened to me. Mine was a combination of a pension plus a 401K. I took the lump sum and rolled it over into an IRA. My company had already gone bankrupt once and I decided I didn't want them associated with my pension for any reason.

ETA: I see you're in Monroe county. A couple of my friends use David Hayes up there for their retirement planning. You might give him a call. I use SBC Wealth Management up on Indy for mine. I can give you a contact name up there if you wish.

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I kind of figure Uncle Sam is daring me to take the lump sum payment. He's just itching to drop the tax hammer on me. The thing is I have been scraping together all the spare cash I could for the last year so I could put it towards buying a house. Depending on the amount I'm owed, it could significantly alter my schedule in a good way. I'm eager to read the information they provide.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I kind of figure Uncle Sam is daring me to take the lump sum payment. He's just itching to drop the tax hammer on me. The thing is I have been scraping together all the spare cash I could for the last year so I could put it towards buying a house. Depending on the amount I'm owed, it could significantly alter my schedule in a good way. I'm eager to read the information they provide.

If you roll it over to an IRA, there will likely be no tax implications. If you take it as a cash-out, liquidation sort of thing, yeah--you'll pay the taxes and the 10% penalty on the earnings you've recieved. I don't know how old you are but if you're young, you still have the possibility of the miracle of compound interest helping you out if you leave it in a retirement account...and leave it in there until you're ready to retire.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Don't be foolish and cash out your pension.. Find yourself a new money man and transfer your pension to a new account..
    Compound interest is one of your pensions best friends.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    That happened to me. Mine was a combination of a pension plus a 401K. I took the lump sum and rolled it over into an IRA. My company had already gone bankrupt once and I decided I didn't want them associated with my pension for any reason.

ETA: I see you're in Monroe county. A couple of my friends use David Hayes up there for their retirement planning. You might give him a call. I use SBC Wealth Management up on Indy for mine. I can give you a contact name up there if you wish.

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

If it is worth it to YOU, then save some back, 5-10k, for repairs, water heater, etc., and GO for IT !!!!!

JMHO, make sure you are going to STAY there !!!!!

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    JMHO, if you are less than 10 years from retirement don't take the buyout, more than 10 years roll it over into an IRA or 401 if your plan administrator allows it. I would never take a cash buyout because of the taxes and possible 10% early withdrawal penalty. You already have a plan in place for buying a home, keep working that plan. Money in retirement is like ammo in a gunfight, nobody complains about having too much:):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have a great fiancial advisor and I believe he will come down there to you. I've known him for over 15 years. He is a practitioner of the LEAP system, which takes EVERYTHING into account for the financial picture. Instead of treating investments, income, insurance, etc in their own silos, this system makes them overlap and work together.

https://new.leapsystems.com/

PM me if you want his info.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    The thing is I have been scraping together all the spare cash I could for the last year so I could put it towards buying a house.

I know that with an IRA, you can take up $10K out, penalty free, for the purchase of your first home. Not sure what rules cover your pension. One thing is for sure, the company is not doing this to benefit you.

Top Bottom