Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Manna

User Info Menu

31 And Darius the Median took the kingdom, being about threescore and two years old. Daniel 5:31

6 It pleased Darius to set over the kingdom an hundred and twenty princes, which should be over the whole kingdom;
    2 And over these three presidents; of whom Daniel was first: that the princes might give accounts unto them, and the king should have no damage.
    3 Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm.
    Daniel 6:1-3

Sounds like an American success story. From captive and slave to one of three presidents and more than that, the top of the three presidents. King Darius wanted to put Daniel in charge of the whole kingdom subject to himself, of course.
    What happens next is further evidence of Daniel's grace which is one of the many ways that God gifted and blessed his life. But that is for another Manna.
    We see a quality in Daniel that is very rare in others. He is able to accept things as they are and make the best of them. He is able to ignore what appears to be very negative circumstances and to approach them in faith believing that all things work together for the good of those who believe in God and are willing to serve Him in those circumstances, that is, to serve His higher purpose and not get caught up in their temporary goals. I believe that Daniel is there in the Word of God to show us how to live by faith and to be the Christian church (not denomination) that Christ gave His life to bring to the world.
    One has to wonder if Daniel ever had a bad day? I would suggest that he did but he knew by faith that those bad days were only temporary because God had plans that would use those bad and, even evil days, stepping stones to a higher goal.
    What we tend to forget is this. In every instance history is His Story. His Story is written. It is the Holy Bible. As we read about how God moved through the pages of this great book among us, we know that God is still moving in today's world among us to achieve His purpose for us. We read it but we fail to see that it applies to us as much as it did to Daniel and all of the others whose names are recorded in Scripture. God is the same today as He was in the day of Daniel. God is not affected by or changed by time. What a wonderful truth that is. Gives me faith in these troublesome times.
    God bless and go and have a great day.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. (Rom12:18)

User Info Menu

7 All the presidents of the kingdom, the governors, and the princes, the counselors, and the captains, have consulted together to establish a royal statute, and to make a firm decree, that whosoever shall ask a petition of any God or man for thirty days, save of YOU, O king, he shall be cast into the den of lions.
    8 Now, O king, establish the decree, and sign the writing, that it be not changed, according to the law of the Medes and Persians, which alteres not.
    9 Wherefore king Darius signed the writing and the decree.
    Daniel 6:7-9

The subtlety of Satan is greatly revealed in this Biblical account of how Daniel, who was a favorite of King Darius, wound up in the lion's den. Satan and his human minions knew full well that Daniel would not flagrantly break this law but that he would not keep it either. Daniel loved King Darius and you can read that from this portion of the book that bears his name. He would do nothing that would embarrass this king nor break his heart intentionally unless the king insist that he break his God's heart in order to please him.
    Daniel was a man of great integrity. His counterparts in the government of King Darius knew this. No matter the cost, Daniel would always keep his commitment to God above all else. I stress, no matter the cost.
    Today, we have the State legislature of Indiana deliberating over what a "Hate-Crimes Bill" would look like. There are advocates of the church of God who know that this bill can be written and enacted in a manner that limits sermons in the pulpits against certain and particular sin. There are some who are long=time adversaries of the church that hope that it will. They don't want us to preach against those sexual sins that the Bible says are an abomination to God. Now, that I have written this, I must say this. I am going to stand where I have always stood on these sins. They are sin and abominable sin in the eyes of God.
    All sin is an abomination including the misuse of drugs, inappropriate dress, the smoking and chewing of tobacco, the drinking of alcohol (even if you call it social-drinking), any sexual activity beyond that one can have between a man and a woman in a marriage relationship. Sin is what God says it it and no legislative action of the part of any nation or state or local community can change that even if they believe they can.
    What one must understand here is that Daniel may have wound up in the lion's den but it is King Darius and those who plotted against Daniel that lost a night's sleep over it. Daniel slept very well. He was well-protected. He was being guarded by the very lions that his adversaries would later be eaten alive by.

User Info Menu

12 Then they came near, and spake before the king concerning the king's decree; Hast thou not signed a decree, that every man that shall ask a petition of any God or man within thirty days, save of thee, O king, shall be cast into the den of lions? The king answered and said, The thing is true, according to the law of the Medes and Persians, which altereth not.
    13 Then answered they and said before the king, That Daniel, which is of the children of the captivity of Judah, regardeth not thee, O king, nor the decree that thou hast signed, but maketh his petition three times a day.
    14 Then the king, when he heard these words, was sore displeased with himself, and set his heart on Daniel to deliver him: and he laboured till the going down of the sun to deliver him. Daniel 6:12-14

If you were to title this passage, what title would you give it? The King's Dilemma is how I would title it. What a situation he finds himself in and only because of his foolish pride. It is a place where we can all find ourselves if we are not very careful.
    It is nice to recognized for our accomplishments and for those things and relationships we take pride in. Sometimes, where we are in life is accomplished by much work and personal sacrifice and a little recognition will do no harm.
    However, when that recognition puts someone else's works and achievements second to your own, such recognition leads to trouble. Whether you intend it that way or not, Satan will use it that way.
    So many people contribute to all of our achievements and very rare is the man who ever "got there on his own". Normally that man had a good wife and a supporting family and a great staff who all got behind him and encouraged him and helped him get where he is wherever that might be. More than that, we are reminded that Christ said that without Him we can do nothing and, that my friends, is an absolute fact.

User Info Menu

19 Then the king arose very early in the morning, and went in haste unto the den of lions.
    20 And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spoke and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is your God, whom you serve continually, able to deliver you from the lions?
    21 Then said Daniel unto the king, O king, live for ever.
    22 My God has sent His angel, and has shut the lions' mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before Him innocence was found in me; and also before you, O king, have I done no hurt. Daniel 6:19-22

The problem that comes with politics mixing with the spiritual issues of the church or the individual members of it creates a mess which only God can resolve.
    If you read this passage closely you will find that neither Darius or Daniel were angry with each the other but that both of them had been betrayed by those that were supposed to be their friends in the affairs of state. This is why those in politics need to be ever so careful about the unintended consequences of those "bills" which can become laws which they put forth. The church itself must be careful about its inter-political works as well. Whether I want it to be true or not, it is true that what happens elsewhere in the church of God movement affects what I do here in the local congregation that I pastor. There are unintended consequences and the outcome of those may not be pretty at all.
    Darius had no intent at all of doing Daniel any harm but that was the fall-out of what he did. Daniel, even to the point of being put into the lion's den had no bad feelings for Darius or even those who flattered Darius into making the decree that put him there. Daniel was not a fatalist. He was a man of great courage and faith who believed what Paul would write hundreds of years later that all things work together for the good of those who serve the Lord according to His purposes. We must believe the same today. God took care of Daniel that night and He also took care of King Darius. Without God's intervention neither would have survived the situation. What was true then is true now.

User Info Menu

7 In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon Daniel had a dream and visions of his head upon his bed: then he wrote the dream, and told the sum of the matters.
    2 Daniel spoke and said, I saw in my vision by night, and, behold, the four winds of the heaven strove upon the great sea.
    3 And four great beasts came up from the sea, diverse one from another.
    Daniel 7:7-3

In order that we understand Revelation, we must first come to an understanding of Daniel. Daniel was no mere dreamer of dreams, God communicated to him through dreams and visions. Daniel was well known as the interpreter of dreams but up to this point in time there is no mention of him having had dreams and visions as he slept. God is using him to communicate much of His great truth with us. Through Daniel we come to understand the meaning of times and seasons and the spiritual applications of symbols. Daniel sees this dream and vision and it is composed of four beasts or ferocious beings one of which is (at the time he received the vision) the Babylonian Empire which would be followed by the Empire of the Medes and Persians which would be followed by the Greeks and the Romans and during the time of the Roman Empire a kingdom would come into existence that would stand forever. This is the kingdom of God which is even now an accessible kingdom the door of which is Jesus Christ.
    I am ever so grateful for Daniel. He is one of those few in all of the history of mankind that understood God the way that God was to be and still should be understood. If you understand Him the way that you should you know that all that He has invested Himself in doing since He created the world has been for the benefit of His creation and especially those who believe He is and that He is THE REWARDER of those who seriously and sincerely follow Him and worship Him.

User Info Menu

15 I Daniel was grieved in my spirit in the midst of my body, and the visions of my head troubled me.
    16 I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the truth of all this. So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things.
    17 These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, which shall arise out of the earth.
    18 But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever. Daniel 7:15-18

Have you ever been so troubled by a thing that you could not sleep nor get any rest physically, mentally, or spiritually? The fact that Daniel came near to one of them that stood near by and asked him the truth of all of this tells me that he had a great desire to know not just a mind-calming answer that would settle and satisfy his curiosity but he wanted to know the truth. Do you? No, I mean do you really want to know the truth about "all of this"? It might just cause you more problems so you just accept the fact that in some things, some very important things, you are in darkness and satisfied to be there because if you don't know then you are not responsible to live accordingly.
    Daniel was never content with what he already knew, he spent his life seeking out God and His Truth. Truth is not merely what you believe to be true, it is what God speaks, what God is and if you are going to know God you will have to want to know Him as Truth and, as Paul says, "Every man a liar". We don't intend to lie but we are more comfortable some times with a lie because the truth will upset us in such a way we will have to start measuring up to it or live such a mundane and useless life that God cannot use us in His kingdom.
    I love His kingdom and love being born into it by being born again. I was not naturally born into it, I was super-naturally born into it and, Oh, what a blessing it is to know this.
    Daniel saw this kingdom in this vision. He wrote about hundreds of years before Christ came and established it in the earth. It is here and it is now and is not a future event. The coming of Christ was the coming of the kingdom of God to all who would allow Christ to be their Savior and King. He is the King of kings now and not merely a want to be or going to be.

User Info Menu

27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey Him.
    28 Hitherto is the end of the matter. As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart.
    Daniel 7:27-28

We come to the end of the matter in a sense. By that I mean that Daniel is satisfied that he now understands as much as it could be understood what God was sharing with him. I wonder how Daniel felt. Here he is living in a time of transition in which the kingdom of God which has been a people known as Israel will eventually become universal and cover the entire world. So many people miss this truth and still expect that a small group of people in a very small country o this planet is God's focus even yet today. This country is in the mix but so is every other country on this earth. The kingdom of God broke out of the borders of Israel the country a long time ago and spread around the world as the disciples became apostles and spread the gospel of this kingdom to people of every nation and race and skin color. There is hardly a nation of people who have not heard of Jesus Christ in the planet of earth today. His name and the glory of it has even been taken into space.
    Israel today has expended her borders to be a universal kingdom that will never cease to exist. She cannot be destroyed by other kingdoms or nations because her government is in heaven and not of the earth. To resist God and Christ is to begin a very frustrating and impossible task. We will be here when Christ returns for us. The resurrection of the faithful saints of God in the last day will not be local event, it will be a world-wide event and, oh what an event that will be. It could happen today. Are you ready?

User Info Menu

5 We have sinned, and have committed iniquity, and have done wickedly, and have rebelled, even by departing from thy precepts and from thy judgments:
    6 Neither have we hearkened unto thy servants the prophets, which spake in thy name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land. Daniel 9:5-6

Thus begins one of the most beautiful recorded prayers of all of the Word of God.
    Daniel is broken hearted over the sins of the kingdom of Israel and Judah which has resulted in Judah's captivity in Babylon and, now, the Media-Persian empire.
    Israel has been dispersed never to come back together again. They quit on God. God did not quit on them.
    Now, Judah is destroyed and removed from the homeland and brought over to a land that is foreign to them and will remain there until seventy years have expired. Why? Because they had sinned against their great God of heaven. They had not gone so far as did Israel, but they had gone so far that God had no choice but to remove them from the holy city of Jerusalem and to bring them to a place where their hearts longed to go while they were still free to serve the Lord.
    Isn't if odd that people are never quite satisfied with God. They just feel that they have to improve on Him. They look around and take note of what others are doing religiously and begin to think that God is keeping them from some rich experience that others are experiencing. This is not true of course, but it is a carnal longing that was similar to what got man into trouble from the beginning.
    Paul writes that "Godliness with contentment is great gain". It is true. We gather as the church thinking that somewhere there is something better somewhere than what we have where we are and we look around for it while all along we are just where God has planted us and wants us to grow and provide for Him fruit for His barns. Our religion is so much about us and not enough about God. How sad that we mist the joy of just being God's chosen people. Daniel knows that God is not responsible for Judah's captivity. Judah is. God is not responsible for our present misery. We are.

User Info Menu

13 As it is written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet made we not our prayer before the Lord our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand thy truth.
    14 Therefore hath the Lord watched upon the evil, and brought it upon us: for the Lord our God is righteous in all his works which he doeth: for we obeyed not his voice.
    15 And now, O Lord our God, that hast brought thy people forth out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and hast gotten thee renown, as at this day; we have sinned, we have done wickedly. Daniel 9:13-15

Though I do believe in the sanctifying grace of God and I believe in His entire sanctifying power, I also know that we have a tendency to become careless in our walk with Him. Our walk with God requires constant vigil. Our attention must be focused on Him and His righteousness and our desire should be to measure up to it ourselves. My holiness is based in that desire and if I get careless about it, I begin to fall back on my own resources instead of depending on His. In other words, it is impossible to be holy and righteous in the Lord outside of leaning on His everlasting arms every moment of every day of every week and year of my life.
    I am totally living in His mercy and grace and have nothing to offer Him if I am not a vessel of His grace and a temple of His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will not dwell in an unclean vessel and if this vessel becomes unclean, the Holy Spirit will vacate the premises. As Daniel tells us, Our God is righteous in all of His works and for us to remain clean in His sight we must listen for and to that voice and be obedient to it. Otherwise we will suffer from the distance that He puts between us and Himself because, even though He loves us dearly, He cannot and will not tolerate sin in His presence. The only time that I can come into His presence with sin is when I come to Him for forgiveness for having committed it and with a desire to be absolutely free of it. He will forgive it but He will not tolerate the continued practice of it.

User Info Menu

This is my wife's (Sharon's) birthday. God bless her and may she have many, many more wonderful years. Happy birthday, Sharon.

16 O Lord, according to all Your righteousness, I beseech You, let Your anger and fury be turned away from YOur city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain: because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people are become a reproach to all that are about us.
    17 Now therefore, O our God, hear the prayer of Your servant, and his supplications, and cause Your face to shine upon Your sanctuary that is desolate, for the Lord's sake.
    18 O my God, incline Your ear, and hear; open Your eyes, and behold our desolation, and the city which is called by YOur name: for we do not present our supplications before YOu for our righteousnesses, but for Your great mercies.
    19 O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for Your own sake, O my God: for YOUR city and YOUR people are called by YOUR name. Daniel 9:16-19

God is not on trial here, we are. Daniel acknowledges the righteousness of God and the unrighteousness of His people. Daniel comes to God as a humble servant and not a triumphant soldier. He understands that all that he has suffered is because of the sins of God's people and that God has allowed them or sent them into captivity to show them what would happen to them permanently should He turn away from them on a more permanent basis. Daniel gets to the point when he says, "Jerusalem and Your people are become a reproach to all that are about us". This is not because of any malice on God's part, it is because of their sin and rebellion against Him. That being the case it is God that is justified and His people who are at fault.
    Our friend, Daniel, teaches us how to pray in similar circumstances. When it seems that God has turned against us, this is the time to search our lives and take note of how we have turned away from Him or even actually turned against Him. The world needs to see the truth about what is happening here. Daniel's plea is based upon how this makes God look and how ashamed he is of how his people's sins have made God to appear weak and uncaring and unforgiving. Not true, of course, but Daniel apologizes to God for the sins of his people and pleads with God to forgive them and to come to their rescue which, by the way, God is about to do.
    Let me get to the best part of this prayer. It is to be found in verse nineteen. It is sweet and it is sweet because it is Daniel's awareness that the people belong to God who bear His name unashamedly. The name is "God". So when we say we are the church of God, we mean it. We unashamedly take the name of God and tell people we are far from ashamed but, rather, privileged to be called by our Father's name and not some other name that is so inferior to His. It is not us that are superior, it is Him. When we take that name there is a great responsibility to live up to it.
    Bod bless and go and have a great day.

Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast