Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37 77 83 84 85 86 87 88 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Manna

User Info Menu

14 Yet you say, Wherefore? Because the Lord has been witness between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treacherously: yet is she your companion, and the wife of your covenant.
    15 And did not He make one? Yet had He the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That He might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
    16 For the Lord, the God of Israel, says that He hates putting away: for one coveres violence with his garment, saith the Lord of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that you deal not treacherously.
    17 You have wearied the Lord with your words. Yet you say, Wherein have we wearied Him? When you say, Every one that does evil is good in the sight of the Lord, and He delights in them; or, Where is the God of judgment? Malachi 2:14-17

This is a rather lengthy reading and yet so important to keep the verses together to get the sense of where it is going and what God is saying. God is doing His best to explain to His people what His grievance with them is and has been for a long, long time. Oh, how He has been ever so patient with them and yet, all they have done is to take advantage of His patience, His long-suffering and go deeper and deeper in their sin and farther and farther away from Him. For that matter, they have attempted to make God a partner in their rebellion.
    I believe that a person's attitude toward marriage and the sacredness of it reveals a lot about their attitude toward God and the sacredness of those vows that they make in other areas of their lives. When I married my wife I promised God and her and the officiating pastor and those in attendance that I would love and honor and protect her all of the days of our live and that nothing but death would separate me from her. I meant it then and I mean it now. Now we are aging and that beautiful girl has transpired into a very beautiful older woman. Our bodies have changed but, if anything, our hearts have grown fonder of one another. We both remember that we brought God into this relationship way back in 1966. We also remember that we have kept Him at the core of it since that time. To God a vow made is a vow to be kept no matter how difficult it is to keep it. God never broke faith with Israel or Judah but they did cheat on Him and betrayed their vows to Him.
    We, the church of God, need to remember that God holds us to our commitments and we also need to remember that He will keep His. He will never betray us for any reason and there is no excuse for us to betray Him. It may very difficult some days to see where this relationship is taking us on this side of eternity, but it is very clear where it is taking us on the other side. Praise the Lord!
    God bless and go and have a great day.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. (Rom12:18)

User Info Menu

I want to preface this Manna with an explanation for the possibility that it may be sporadic for the next couple of weeks. My brother, Arthur Lee Kirby passed away last Saturday about noon and I will be traveling to South Dakota to conduct his funeral services. We covet your prayers for safe travel and the right words that will leave his family there comforted and strengthened.

1 Behold, I will send My messenger, and he shall prepare the way before Me: and the Lord, whom you seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom you delight in: behold, He shall come, says the Lord of hosts.
    2 But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
    3 And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness. Malachi 3:1-3

What a mighty and wondrous God we serve. That is a statement and not a question for there is no doubt about the veracity of the statement. It is true. God knew what He would do and He knew why it must be done. He would sent His messenger to prepare a way before He, Himself came. This is John the Baptist of course, who came as one crying in the wilderness the words, "Prepare you the way of the Lord!" The Lord was and is and forever shall be, Jesus Christ.
    Jesus lived in Nazareth for the largest part of His life. He lived there in relative obscurity as He grew from a small child into adulthood. One day He left home when He was about thirty years of age and made His way to where John was baptizing in the Jordan River. There He submitted to John's baptism and then was taken by the Holy Spirit into a wilderness area where He would fast and pray for 40 days and nights and come face to face with Himself and what His life would be from that time forward. He was God incarnate in the body of a flesh and blood man who had come to us to be the Lamb of God who would take away the sins of the world. Verse three describes His ministry which was to cleanse us and make us pure as refined gold and silver. Why? So that we could offer God the proper praise and worship that He so deserved. God does so want to put His robes of righteousness on us in order that we offer to Him the proper worship of a Levitical Priest. A purified priest with our High Priest being Jesus Christ.
    What a plan. Perfect to a the greatest degree.

User Info Menu

3 And when she could no longer hide him, she took for him an ark of reeds, and plastered it with resin and with pitch, and put the child in it, and laid [it] in the sedge on the bank of the river.
    4 And his sister stood afar off to see what would happen to him.
    5 And the daughter of Pharaoh went down to bathe in the river; and her maids went along by the river's side. And she saw the ark in the midst of the sedge, and sent her handmaid and fetched it. Exodus 2:3-5

I don't intend to do a verse by verse commentary on the life of Moses but I find it very interesting to look into his beginning and how very perilous it was for him. As we read the early chapters of Exodus we can see the hand of God was hovering over his life to preserve it for His future plans. As we well know, God has plans for him that, of course, as a baby he is not aware of and does not become aware of for years and years to come.
    As we age and become what some call "old" we tend to think less and less of our value and capabilities. The past few days I have given quite a lot of thought to this very fact. I am not getting any younger, as they say, and retirement from full-time pastoral ministry looms in my future. For years people have been asking me when I was going to retire as though for a man of God it is the same as any other person who reaches what we have been taught is "retirement age". This is an arbitrary age at best and to a large degree retirement for a pastor or an evangelist or a missionary or other workers in the kingdom of God depends on that persons health and mental acuity.
    Moses had an auspicious beginning. He was supposed to die at birth, he didn't. He should have been put immediately to death as soon as he was found in that ark on the river. Later, he ran for his life or he would have been put to death as a young man because he defended one of his own from an Egyptian taskmaster. God, indeed, had a purpose for his life that he did not understand until much later.
    We must understand that what was true of Moses can also be true of any one of us in these modern times. Never give up and never quite the good fight. Your circumstances may change but you are a man or woman of God all the way to the end of your life's journey on this earth. Age is not and should never be the determining factor. Your love for God and desire to serve His purpose with your life all the way to the end is that determining factor.

User Info Menu

11 And it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out unto his brethren, and looked on their burdens: and he spied an Egyptian smiting an Hebrew, one of his brethren.
    12 And he looked this way and that way, and when he saw that there was no man, he slew the Egyptian, and hid him in the sand. Exodus 2:11-12

Moses had been raise by his mother long enough that he understood his blood line. He knew that he was not an Egyptian and he also knew he was a Jew. He had been raised and groomed to be in line to the throne of Egypt but it appears he had no desire to sit on it. His heart was for his people, the Jews, and he proved it by his actions and particularly on this day. He killed an Egyptian slave master and thought he had gotten by with it. No one knew but the Jew that the salve master was abusing. Evidently he told others about this incident. Moses was likely conflicted but when push came to shove, he was ready to stand with the people he was genetically attached to. He was a Jew in his heart. We are Christians in our hearts. We will stand as one and must stand as one in these last of the last days.
    This slave master and the Egyptians that was a part of this cruelty are a type of Satan and his devils to us. They want to enslave us to do their bidding and to prevent us from doing God's. They are cruel and unsympathetic to Christ or His followers. We are great in number and they fear that. We can vote and they fear that. We are in the way of their having their way with the world which they want to build to honor their gods which mostly are their human heroes that they worship and adore. Their gods are no equal to our God but they seem oblivious to that fact. How sad.
    Like Joshua of old, you chose today which of these kingdoms you will serve, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord God of Moses who is the Father of Jesus Christ.

User Info Menu

13 And when he went out the second day, behold, two men of the Hebrews strove together: and he said to him that did the wrong, Wherefore smite thou thy fellow?
    14 And he said, Who made thee a prince and a judge over us? intendest thou to kill me, as thou killed the Egyptian? And Moses feared, and said, Surely this thing is known.
    15 Now when Pharaoh heard this thing, he sought to slay Moses. But Moses fled from the face of Pharaoh, and dwelt in the land of Midian: and he sat down by a well.
    Exodus 2:13-15

Sometimes our attempts to make things better are mistaken for interference in matters that really are not seen as any of our business. There have been many times when I have attempted to be helpful in a situation just to be told that the situation was none of my business and usually with the comment or question, "What makes you think you are any smarter than we are?" That may be true because I don't think I am any smarter or wiser than the next man but sometimes a cooler head can cool a situation down.
    Moses was put in a position by God to be extremely helpful to his fellow Jews. He was a member of the royal household. He was well educated in Egyptian sciences and philosophy and was in a place to understand their philosophy of life itself. These two Hebrews were fighting and Moses sought to help them work out their issues without violence. He was a very good man at heart. After all, he had killed an Egyptian to save one of them and they should have been most thankful for his effort, shouldn't they?"
    There are times when even our best effort to help is not appreciated. Moses knew his wasn't and for that matter was seen as an attempt to put himself in a position of power and authority over them and they were not ready to accept him in that position. Too early. It will take a lot more time and his absence from Egypt before God will call upon him to return and take them out of Egypt. Both Moses and the Jews will have to suffer through that interlude. Sometimes we have to suffer through similar circumstances before God can use us to do great things for Him.

User Info Menu

The Daily Manna (August 30, 2019)

21 And Moses was content to dwell with the man: and he gave Moses Zipporah his daughter.
    22 And she bare him a son, and he called his name Gershom: for he said, I have been a stranger in a strange land.
    23 And it came to pass in process of time, that the king of Egypt died: and the children of Israel sighed by reason of the bondage, and they cried, and their cry came up unto God by reason of the bondage. Exodus 2:21-23

Life takes some strange turns. I am at the end of my ministry here at South Emerson Avenue church of God. I will be retiring soon. It is not that I want to do this, it is that I need to do it. I have often said that the church would never have to ask me to leave, I would know when it was time for me to do that. I would know because God would let me know. I am not comparing myself to Moses and the changes in his life but I am doing that in a sense. The comparison is the fact that I have always known and understood that God was and is in charge of my ministry and my life. Like Moses, I am content simply to dwell with others until God tells me what my next call will be. I use the term retire but as one young man told me recently, that is not God's way. I will never cease to be a man called of God to go into the world with the Gospel and to try to win souls to Christ. I will do this for all of my life anywhere and anyway God approves of. Things can change in an instant and God can change my plans any time He chooses and I will obey Him. I will still do the Daily Manna dependent upon internet service. I love to stay in touch with you all this way. I love the Lord and I have a love for you as well that won't die. It is going to be sporadic for a while as we get ready to move later this year.
    There are so many under a burden today that causes them to "sigh" which means to wonder if there will ever be any relief or release from them. God hears them but until they are ready to leave them behind and move to a "better place" they will stay right where they are. God wants to help the sinner to be free of their sin but the sinner has to agree to His manner of deliverance. He sent Moses to bring them out of Egypt and He sent Christ to bring us out of sin.
    May God bless you with that deliverance today.

User Info Menu

1 Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb.
    2 And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.
    3 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. Exodus 3:1-3

There is much difference between "an angel of the Lord" and "the angel of the Lord". An angel of the Lord is just what it says it is. It is an emissary sent from God to speak in His behalf. However, the Angel of the Lord is God Himself who comes to speak in His own behalf. As we progress into this historical story about the calling of Moses to do a specific ministry for the Lord, we will notice that Moses understands that he is speaking to God. All of his questions and comments and arguments are directed at God, not an angel sent from God.
    There is a lot of typology in this event. The burning bush that is not consumed typifies the life of a man or woman of God that is being used by God to do His ministry that is not consumed in the doing of it. They have a continual source of firepower that cannot be burned up but grows more intense as the time goes by.
    Over the years of my ministry I have heard about ministry burnout and ministers being burned out. I have never found that to be an issue with me because the source of my strength and vision and insight is God. He fed Himself into me by His Word and His Holy Spirit Who, by the way, is the true Angel of the Lord.
    I have never claimed to be the brightest light bulb in the chandelier, but I do have a source of knowledge and wisdom that comes from God. I am no exception to the rule, I am an example of that rule.
    Do I ever get tired? Of course I do. The human body can only endure so much and that may be the reason for my planning to retire soon. But, if God were to say to me this very day, "I have a job for you to do", I would go and do it to the best of my ability. I am His servant all the way to the day I cease to breathe in this life and step over into eternity and, even then I will be His servant forever. I love to serve the Lord. It is my prayer and my hope that this little daily writing encourages the readers to keep on going for the Lord.

User Info Menu

4 And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.
    5 And He said, Draw not nigh hither: put off your shoes from off your feet, for the place whereon thou stand is holy ground.
    6 Moreover He said, I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God. Exodus 3:4-6

God has never spoken to me in the same manner as He spoke to Moses. Yet, He does speak and when He speaks He makes Himself and His will clear. In the very opening verses of the book of Hebrews it says this: "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds..."
    God no longer has to speak to any one or all of us in any other manner than He has spoken through His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. He has made Himself clear as He spoke through His Son. What is His will? His will for us is similar to His will for the people He called His people in Moses' time. It is that we come out of and away from our sin and to a place that He has prepared and reserved for all that love Him. Even as the Jews did not know about this place He was taking them to, we have little knowledge of the place He has prepared for us. Paul tells us: "Eye has not seen nor the ear heard not has the mind the ability to comprehend what God had prepared for those who love Him." I believe that this has two manifestations. One is for out journey to this place and the other once we arrive. We will be overwhelmed by it all. I had no idea what my journey in this life was going to be like the day I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior. I don't know a lot about my destination other than it is a place that will far exceed any expectation that I have.
    As I stand before God in this life, I expect to stand with Him for all eternity. I pray the same for everyone else. Today would be a good day for you to begin your journey toward the home that God has prepared for His people.

User Info Menu

7 And the Lord said, I have surely seen the affliction of My people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;
    8 And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.
    9 Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel is come unto Me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them.
    Exodus 3:7-9

So, here is Moses, minding his father-in-law's cattle and grazing them on the side of the mountain when he sees a burning bush. That is not all that odd but the fact that the bush burned but was not consumed was odd. So he walks up to the bush and a voice speaks out of the bush to him and tells him that he is to take off his shoes because he is standing on holy ground. This voice tells him that it is the voice of God and He has heard the cries of the desperation from His people and has personally taken notice of their affliction. Isn't that interesting?
    God cares.
    How many years were these people being used as slaves? God was aware the first day of their bondage about their situation and did nothing to stop it. One has to ask, Why? Is it ever wise to question God? Let me say this, God is never one minute too early nor is He ever one minute too late when He acts. If God had acted too early, the Jews in Egypt would not have been desperate enough to want to leave. If He had waited until later, they would not have been able to leave. He acted at just the right moment and approached exactly the right man with His plans to bring His people out and away from a place they should never have been in the first place.
    Goshen is sin in its early stages, you know, the first drink, the first cigarette, the first dose of drugs. The end result of these firsts is a sort of euphoria. Then, later, the bondage sets in. You want to quit those things and any other that you find yourself bound by but, you do not have the strength to do it. You need God. God will hear you when you cry out to Him and He will take note of your bondage to sin. He will send you a "Moses" to invite you to leave those things and to come out and away from them and to come into His house which is His church. Why not accept His invitation. There is much more to this but it will have to wait until another time.

User Info Menu

16 Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt:
    17 And I have said, I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt unto the land of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, unto a land flowing with milk and honey.
    Exodus 3:16-17

Transition is a very difficult thing. David speaks of a time when he was young and now is old. What is young and what is old? It depends on the person I suppose but to some I am old and getting older by the minute. Of course if you live long enough that happens to us all. Realizing that one is not the man or woman that he or she once was is a harsh thing to face. I don't regret it but I surely don't relish it.
    Moses was in a period of transition. Things were about to change radically with his life. He is 80 years old and is thinking (I suspect) of a time when he could find a nice shade tree and relax and be done with all of the hard work he was doing. That time was not ever to come for him. As far as God was concerned he was a man matured and hardened by life. He was hardened and tempered enough to do a most difficult thing for God that would require maturity and steadiness of mind and heart. Moses was the man whom God selected to go to Egypt and to confront the king of Egypt and demand the release of the Israelite slaves from captivity. This is going to take a man who is convinced what he is doing is the right thing for all of the right reasons and who will not back down nor quit the mission. This man is Moses at the age of 80. Why not a younger man? Because a younger man would have been less likely to see the mission through to the end.
    Well, at my age many are saying that I deserve to retire, I have served God and His church for well over 64 years. I only wish I had 64 more years to give. I know I don't but I do have some good years left and I want to spend them serving My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Whatever is left of me, it all still belongs to Him.

Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37 77 83 84 85 86 87 88 LastLast