Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 90 of 99 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Manna

User Info Menu

6 And the ark of the Lord was in the country of the Philistines seven months.
    2 And the Philistines called for the priests and the diviners, saying, What shall we do to the ark of the Lord? Tell us wherewith we shall send it to his place.
    3 And they said, If you send away the ark of the God of Israel, send it not empty; but in any wise return Him a trespass offering: then you shall be healed, and it shall be known to you why His hand is not removed from you.
    4 Then said they, What shall be the trespass offering which we shall return to him? They answered, Five golden emerods, and five golden mice, according to the number of the lords of the Philistines: for one plague was on you all, and on your lords. I Samuel 6:1-4

It is impossible to capture God. The Philistines thought that they had captured the Israelites God and therefore had removed from them the power to make war against them. What they did not know is that the Ark of the Covenant was not merely a god but was the presence of God with His people, Israel. The Ark was where God met with His people not God nor a God. It was a sacred thing but not God. It would be the same as us honoring the building where we go to meet with God in worship more than we honor God Himself. We see a lot of that in our time. God is not a man that can be imprisoned and held captive, He is the God that created time and space and all that is contained in it but He is not limited by either.
    God is also holy which puts Him above all creation, us included. All of us as individuals or collectively are subjects of God. All of our puny little gods are no match for Him individually or collectively. He is sovereign in His universe and in His heaven and will not be intimidated by you with all of your political power or material capabilities or physical prowess or social connections. He is God. He cannot be bribed, cannot be threatened and made to change His mind, cannot be affected by any deceptive or charismatic approach of any human being or any other being. He is wisdom and knowledge and power and authority and none can deprive Him of any of that. God is not limited to work in any one certain area-He is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent. He is that and more than that. We will never know Him if we insist on calling Him "the man upstairs" because He is no man and far above and beyond any and all of us. He needs to be reverenced and adored and served faithfully or not at all. You can not appease Him with token gifts or placate Him with an effort to "buy Him off". You must give Him His rightful and proper place in your heart and soul and mind.
    Then, and only then, will you find peace with Him.
    God bless and go and have a great day.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. (Rom12:18)

User Info Menu

5 Wherefore you shall make images of your emerods, and images of your mice that mar the land; and ypu shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure He will lighten His hand from off you, and from off your gods, and from off your land.
    6 Wherefore then do you harden your hearts, as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their hearts? when He had wrought wonderfully among them, did they not let the people go, and they departed? I Samuel 6:5-6

I think it is amazing that the Philistines continued to make war with Israel. They knew about how God had traumatized Egypt with the plagues and the angel of death and then, finally, overthrew them in the Red Sea. They had respect for Israel's God even though they did not worship Him themselves. They had their own god and attributed to him all the same powers that Israel's God had over them. Upon capturing the Ark of the Covenant they thought they could place it in the same temple with their god and their god then could keep the God of Israel under his control. Of course, that didn't happen and, for that matter, God broke their god into pieces. They wanted the God of Israel gone from their land.
    Another thing that God did was to send a plague of mice and hemorrhoids over the land of the Philistines. I don't know if you have ever had mice or hemorrhoids but neither of them are pleasant to deal with. Mice are intruders and dirty up everything they come in contact with and hemorrhoids are very painful and hard to cure. I have had both and I can tell you neither are welcome back. I can understand the extreme the Philistines went to in order to get the Ark back to its rightful place and that was not along side of their god.
    Today's version of the same thing is the manner in which so many attempt to take the Christian's God and adapt Him to their personal concept of Him. This won't work but they think it will. Our God is three in One. We do not worship three Gods we worship One God who had revealed Himself top us in three persons. He is Father, Son, and, Holy Spirit. We worship Him and adore Him and give Him His place He deserves in our life and in the society called the church of God. We do not attempt to manipulate Him or reduce Him down to a place on our mantle. We take Him most seriously and are happy to do so. I do not want to send Him away, I want Him to come into my life in full measure and stay. How about you?

User Info Menu

13 And they of Beth-shemesh were reaping their wheat harvest in the valley: and they lifted up their eyes, and saw the ark, and rejoiced to see it.
    14 And the cart came into the field of Joshua, a Beth-shemite, and stood there, where there was a great stone: and they clave the wood of the cart, and offered the kine a burnt offering unto the Lord.
    15 And the Levites took down the ark of the Lord, and the coffer that was with it, wherein the jewels of gold were, and put them on the great stone: and the men of Beth-shemesh offered burnt offerings and sacrificed sacrifices the same day unto the Lord. I Samuel 6:13-15

What a thrill it must have been to see the Ark of the Covenant coming back to its rightful people. I was just thinking that it would be similar to someone stealing our original Constitution (case and all) and holding it hostage while at the same time trying to understand why it is that we put such a value on it. People who don't live by it don't understand how precious a document it is. Lives were lost trying to implement it and lives have been lost protecting it and the way of life it guarantees to the citizens who live by it and love the freedom that it promises them. The trick is to keep passing along its message to each generation so that everyone puts the same value on it for all of the same reasons.
    We know that God is orchestrating these events because the Ark comes to a man who is a Levite who is one who is authorized by this very Covenant to handle the Ark and he does so with the greatest of respect and reverence. For us who are Christian our Ark is the Holy Bible and the Cart that carries forward is the church of God and its ministry. We are given a mandate to handle that Word very carefully and never, never irreverently. The Truth of God is written onto and into the pages of the Holy Bible. The Word of God came and lived with us. He was with God from the beginning and is God to the end of time and into all eternity. We value Christ as those people valued the Covenant the Ark contained.
    As we approach the day we celebrate the birth of Christ may we all stop to give considerable thought to why it is that we have this day once a year to remind us of His humble birth and life and death and glorious resurrection and ascension back to heaven. May we rejoice because of His birth but all the more because of His promise to come again and receive us unto Himself that where He is we may be also. What a promise and, remember this, He never broke a promise that He made.
    He is coming back.

User Info Menu

8 And the children of Israel said to Samuel, Cease not to cry unto the Lord our God for us, that He will save us out of the hand of the Philistines.
    9 And Samuel took a sucking lamb, and offered it for a burnt offering wholly unto the Lord: and Samuel cried unto the Lord for Israel; and the Lord heard him.
    10 And as Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to battle against Israel: but the Lord thundered with a great thunder on that day upon the Philistines, and discomfited them; and they were smitten before Israel.
    I Samuel 7:8-10

I recall when I was in the Army stationed in Fort Lewis Washington. I drove for a Captain named Thomas J. Regal. He was not of the same faith that I was, far from it. But that did not mean that he was not a religious man and all it means is that he was raised to believe that religion was a matter of convenience and not to be taken seriously until the situation became serious. Otherwise, he could use any language he pleased and do whatever was convenient for him to do. He could just melt into the crowd around him and blend right in with them like so many do.
    Quite often the question as to whether one is a religious person comes up. I hate that question because it leaves out the weightier matter of salvation. You see, one can be religious without being saved and, sadly, many are.
    I remember 9/11/2001 and how that the entire country was asked to pray to God for the safety of the nation. The planes had been hijacked and the twin towers in New York City had been destroyed and the Pentagon had been hit and damaged and who knew what would be next? So we saw those in the Capitol circled up in prayer and the call went out that we all should pray.
    The Jews asked the most religious man in their eyes to pray to his God to save them because the Philistines were coming and they had no real defense against them. All of a sudden their religion was not enough, they needed to turn back to the God of their fathers.
    Back to Captain Regal. I attended church in Tacoma, Washington. I dropped him off at his house (I was his driver) and he asked me what I was going to do over the weekend. I told him I was going to attend church and his final words were, "Say a little prayer for me." I suppose that made him a religious person but it most certainly did not make him a Christian. His life proved otherwise.
    Many will celebrate Christmas in a couple of days who are not at all committed to Christ. They have a form of religion but they do not have the power of that faith. How sad that as soon as the gifts are opened and the dinners are shared and the families and friends return to their regular lives the next day, it will all be forgotten and we will move on to the same lives we had lived before they were interrupted by the birth of Jesus Christ.

User Info Menu

18 And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.
    19 But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:18-19

All that heard wondered which meant that they were thrilled by what they heard. But, May pondered which means that she considered it all as she thought about the events of that day's events and all that had happened to get her here over the past nine months. It was the pivotal moment in time for men and women in the past and all that would come in the future. How much she understood about that is not certain but she knew that this was a very special child that she had just given birth to.
    As she looked into his face she looked into the face of the Creator of the world and the universe it exists in. As I write this this AM the song "Mary Did You Know?" comes to mind. How much she knew and how much she understood is not certain but she knew this was a child that was born by a coming together of God and a woman who had never had carnal relationships with a man. She did not fully understand it back in Nazareth nor does she fully understand it now. She will love this baby boy as much as any mother ever loved a son. She would struggle with His purpose in this life and His purpose in death. She would come to believe along with everyone else that would believe that He was surely the Son of God begotten of the Father to take away the sin of the world. She was God's instrument as well but I am sure that she never fully understood just how important to God's plan for our salvation she was. She was human and not at all divine but she has come to be admired by all for the part she took in the bringing of God's Son to this world so that He could offer redemption to it.
    You ponder these things this day and then give God the praise He deserves and May the admiration and honor she deserves as well. God is to be worshiped, Mary is to be admired. There is a wonderful difference between the two.
    God bless and have a great day and a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

User Info Menu

6 Now when Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, was come unto David, he fell on his face, and did reverence. And David said, Mephibosheth. And he answered, Behold thy servant!
    7 And David said unto him, Fear not: for I will surely show you kindness for Jonathan your father's sake, and will restore you all the land of Saul your father; and you shall eat bread at my table continually. 2 Samuel 9:6-7

Friendship such as that of David and Jonathan is very rare. How many friends do you have that would do for one of your children what David is doing for the son of his friend, Jonathan?
    I remember when my father died so many years ago we had two uncles who came close. One was on my father's side of the family and the other was on my mother's. They kept a close eye on us and visited with us often. We spent a lot of time at their homes. One lived in Marion, Indiana and the other lived in Anderson, Indiana. Even after we moved to Jennings County, Indiana, the one in Anderson continued to come and visit us quite often. Mom was a widow at the age of 36 with six kids to raise the oldest of them was 17 and the youngest was around 4 or 5 years of age. To say the least, mom had a difficult time on her hands. We are eternally grateful for those two uncles.
    Down through the years, God had given me some pretty fantastic friends who have remained closer to me than any one of my brothers. But, to be honest, I have been closer to them than I have my own brothers as well. There was that thing we had in common which is called ministry. Thank God for other Christian ministers who have appreciated my ministry and I have appreciated theirs as well.
    I am down to 2 brothers and a sister now and I love them dearly and appreciate them more and more. We do not see or visit one another as we once did because of the distance in miles between us. We do stay in touch. I have a man from the congregation that I recently was the pastor of who has made several trips from the Indianapolis area to my new home in Southern, Indian with truck loads of my belongings. Thank God for him and others who have blessed and touched my life in so many ways. I hope that you have friends like that. May God bless you with them. May those relationships grow in the New Year and may they be more blessed than ever before. I have a feeling we are going to need each other.

User Info Menu

3 And the princes of the children of Ammon said unto Hanun their lord, Do you think that David does honor your father, that he has sent comforters unto you? Has not David rather sent his servants unto you, to search the city, and to spy it out, and to overthrow it?
    4 Wherefore Hanun took David's servants, and shaved off the one half of their beards, and cut off their garments in the middle, even to their buttocks, and sent them away. 2 Samuel 10:3-4

Misunderstanding of one's motives is more of a problem to the church than nearly anything else. It may be that some differences of opinions exist within the local body of Christ or even the larger fellowship. What most want is what is a healthy relationship with one another. What we get, more often than not, is something else. Motives are important.
    It is common knowledge that some use the church for a political platform. That is, they seek to manipulate the church into a position that they hold rather than helping the church to be the church of God. The church was designed by and planned by God from the beginning of creation. Jesus came to establish the church and He told His disciples this when He said that the church would be built upon the Rock. Jesus is that Rock. If it is built upon the Rock, the gates of hell will never be able to prevail against it in its efforts to destroy it or even stop it in its mission. The church, after all, is not an institution devised by mankind. She is designed by God. She is perfect in her design if not in her daily operations. Whatever imperfections the church has to suffer is not because God did not design her to be perfect, it is because mankind misunderstands the perfectness in which God designed the church. For the most part we seek that perfection but rarely attain to it because of our own imperfections.
    David was trying to do a great thing but was stopped from achieving it because of the suspicions of others. We, quite often, have suffered the same humiliation.
    What is there about us that cause us to be so reluctant to accept the good motives of others? It is our own pettiness, our jealousy, our wrong understanding of their reasons for sayings and or doings. God help His church to be that perfect bride of Christ that He designed her to be. May the New Year bring us to that perfect place.

User Info Menu

1 And the Lord sent Nathan unto David. And he came unto him, and said unto him, There were two men in one city; the one rich, and the other poor.
    2 The rich man had exceeding many flocks and herds:
    3 But the poor man had nothing, save one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter.
    4 And there came a traveler unto the rich man, and he spared to take of his own flock and of his own herd, to dress for the wayfaring man that was come unto him; but took the poor man's lamb, and dressed it for the man that was come to him.
    5 And David's anger was greatly kindled against the man; and he said to Nathan, As the Lord lives, the man that has done this thing shall surely die:
    6 And he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity. 2 Samuel 12:1-6

It is very easy to sit in judgment of others while your own sin is as scarlet red as it can be. David had to feign this outrage because it was in every detail an accurate description of his own sin. Uriah, the Hittite was dead because David plotted his death. He plotted it in such a way that he thought that no one every would find out his complicity in it. There was only Joab who assisted David in this plot and no one else, or so David thought. What was he thinking? David knew full well that God knew for God always knows. Sin cannot be hidden from God because sin is an arrow aimed at and shot through the very heart of God. Sin is an affront to God always. He is holy through and through and sin is man's way of mocking the holiness of God and the fact that God made man to exist in His holiness and never to sin. David sinned and then he tried to hid his sin by killing a man of faith in God and a faithful soldier in the army of God. Uriah was a man of outstanding character. What little we read about him tells us that he would not come home and seek the companionship of his wife while his soldiers were on the battlefield being deprived of the same thing.
    The Word of God tells us that our sins will find us out. David was the chief sinner here and yet, he was outraged by the sin of someone else. What a hypocrite he was in all of this. In this and in other instances he was not fit to be king of God's earthly kingdom. We can fall prey to the same thing. We can be so outraged by the sins of others while all the time being more guilty before God than they are. This is why Jesus said that we should not judge others more harshly than we would want to be judged ourselves. I covet the judgment of God on my life because it is the only way I will see my sin and confess it and turn away from it and become the child of God that God wants me to be. It is a great thing that our God is merciful or we would all perish. I am so thankful for His sanctifying grace which makes and keeps us holy. Without it I am sure that I would be the greatest of all sinners which is not a goal that any Christian should set for themselves. Seek to be holy for I am holy says the Lord.

User Info Menu

7 And Nathan said to David, you are the man. Thus says the Lord God of Israel, I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you out of the hand of Saul;
    8 And I gave you your master's house, and your master's wives into your bosom, and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto you such and such things.
    9 Wherefore have you despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in His sight? You have killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and have taken his wife to be your wife, and have slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.
    10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house; because you have despised Me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.
    2 Samuel 12:7-10

Oh, if only we understood the complete depth of what the man of God, Nathan, was saying to David. He is telling him that he has changed the course of history to the point that Israel will never ever have a king who is as beloved as David was to God again. As I read further and further into the Old Testament, I read more and about Israel as a divided house that will never be put back together again in the same manner as it once was when God had His prophet go to David's home to seek him out to anoint him to be king in Saul's stead once Saul was dead. David at that time was a simple shepherd boy who had great faith in God and from that faith great courage. Now, he is hiding in his palace while his army is on the field of battle. He is there and not even thinking about the welfare of his army of faithful soldiers, he is thinking only of his own pleasure and will have it no matter what the consequence of it will be. He thinks, "I am king and, as king, I should have anything I desire. He was no longer the humble shepherd boy but a self-centered despot. He was well on his way to become what other kings of other kingdoms were instead of the servant-king God had anointed him to be.
    Now, he knows his sins are known by God and at least one other man, the man of God who comes to him to tell him that God has passed judgment on his sin and has declared that the sword will never depart his house and it never did and it never shall.
    The repercussions and consequences of this one man's sin caused him and the people he ruled in behalf of God a lot of misery, division, and, intrigue. What a shame that David no longer a man of self-denial but a man of selfish desires.
    God will forgive him but God will never repent of the judgment He passed on him.
    David did repent and God did forgive but the sin that brought about the destruction of one man's house resulted in the destruction of another house, Israel. From that time forward he will live in constant fear of his own children and their efforts to overthrow him and to take the throne away from him. God's only begotten Son will one day inherit that throne. It was actually His in the first place and how sad that David forgot that God was the true King of Israel and King of kings. May we never forget.

User Info Menu

The Daily Manna (January 2, 2020)

13 And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said unto David, The Lord also has put away your sin; you shalt not die.
    14 Howbeit, because by this deed you have given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto you shall surely die.
    2 Samuel 12:13-14

The wages of sin is death. So says Paul in Romans 6. We must understand than no sin is inconsequential. All sin and any sin is like throwing a boulder or a small stone into a body of water. In its wake there is a ripple effect. For some events a tsunami occurs and great lose of life comes with it. David did not die but the child of the woman that he committed adultery with did die. How sad but also how merciful is God.
    It is my belief that a child is born innocent and bears no sin and thus, dying in its innocence it goes back to the Father who gave it initially. For those who have lost a very young child that never reached the age of accountability this has to be a huge comfort. That child is in and under God's eternal protection and the evil of this world cannot reach them there.
    David prayed and fasted and sat in sackcloth and ashes. Do what they would those around him could not get him to eat or drink or any such thing. He was focused on saving the life of this child whatever it took. It might just be that God would spare the child's life but, He didn't. At least not in the way David thought and hoped He would.
    Once God had carried out His judgment and decision to take the child, David rose up and went up with his life. He would miss the child but God would give him other children and one in particular, Solomon. He would be David's and Bathsheba's son and would one day rule in David's place. His tenure as king of Israel would bring a time of great peace and wealth to the kingdom. Isn't God great? All of the time, He is great.
    PS. I am sending this early because I have a busy schedule January 2.

Page 90 of 99 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast