Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 91 of 96 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Manna

User Info Menu

The Daily Manna (January 3, 2019)

39 And the soul of king David longed to go forth unto Absalom: for he was comforted concerning Amnon, seeing he was dead. 2 Samuel 13:39

What a mess the house of David had come to be. He had many wives and most of his sons and daughters were only half-brothers and sisters and had no real affinity for one another. Amnon had raped his half-sister, Tamar. She was Absalom's full sister. David did nothing to Amnon for this atrocity but Absalom never forgave Amnon for what misery and shame he had brought on his sister. He waited two years and then he invited all of the brothers to come to his place in order to get Amnom there to kill him. He did kill him. David was told that Absalom had killed all of his sons but this was not true. Absalom, who was so loved by David, ran away and hid from him. Verse 39 of 2 Samuel 13 tells us that David had forgiven his son Absalom and longed to see him. What a life!
    I believe the word intrigue best defines the daily life of King David. Not only was he unable to trust those who were supposed to be his closest allies, he could not trust even his own family. Where could he go to find any peace of mind at all? I think we all know the answer to that. He turned to the best and only true Friend he had, God.
    Politics then were not much different than they are now. The way things are in this world today, why would anyone want to run for political office? Why would anyone want to run for the highest office of the land and possibly the world? There are two basic reasons as far as I can see. The first is a lust for power and the things that come with it. The second is a sincere desire to make this country the country that God wants it to be. Well, who among those who are running for office on a national level or even state level can you trust to want that office for reason number two? God knows.
    As we enter this year we all need to pray for those who are in authority over us. This is God's command to every true Christian. We need to pray as we have never prayed before. So much is at stake even our very freedom which is a gift from God and not the politicians. Question is, will we take the time and make the effort and pray?
    God bless and go and have a great day.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. (Rom12:18)

User Info Menu

The Daily Manna (January 6, 2020)

2 And Absalom rose up early, and stood beside the way of the gate: and it was so, that when any man that had a controversy came to the king for judgment, then Absalom called unto him, and said, Of what city arr you? And he said, Your servant is of one of the tribes of Israel.
    3 And Absalom said unto him, See, your matters are good and right; but there is no man deputed of the king to hear you.
    4 Absalom said moreover, Oh that I were made judge in the land, that every man which has any suit or cause might come unto me, and I would do him justice!
    5 And it was so, that when any man came nigh to him to do him obeisance, he put forth his hand, and took him, and kissed him.
    6 And on this manner did Absalom to all Israel that came to the king for judgment: so Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel. 2 Samuel 15:2-6

Absalom is there in Jerusalem to take advantage of his aging father and his father's love for him. David's love for Absalom has made him blind to the threat he poses to him and to Israel itself. This son of David is devious and self promoting and has no love for Israel's God or for David's love of God. He is much like many today who see church and church attendance as a gateway to a position of self-importance and power over others. This is not true of all those who attend church and, for that matter, not many of them. Most people attend church to get to know God better and for the fellowship in Christ that comes with it. Some, just a few, see it as a way to manipulate situations and other people into their corner and by this they have influence over them that they could have no where else or under any other circumstances.
    Absalom wanted to be a "judge" over Israel but not to make Israel better. He desired to win by popularity. No righteous judge appointed by God cares about popularity, they only care about the right and wrong of an issue. If you are going to judge others and their situations you had best have the right insights and perspectives on the Laws of God. Absalom didn't and it will cost him a very high price even his own life.
    Today, let us pray for God's insight and make all of our judgments based on that. Life is not easy some times and we must be very careful setting our goals and trust the Lord to show us what they are and should be.

User Info Menu

33 And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son! 2 Samuel 18:33

David had a blind spot and it was Absalom, his son. As far as David was concerned he could do not wrong. Even though Absalom had proven to be devious and sinister David never reprimanded him in a meaningful way and let him linger in the kingdom even though he knew that Absalom had designs on the kingdom to replace his father and rule in his stead. To his regret, David did nothing to stop Absalom.
    Absalom was full of pride in himself. He had long, flowing, beautiful hair in which he took great pride. He fully rebelled against King David and run him out of Jerusalem. He openly paraded himself as the new king of Israel even going to the extent of going in to his father's concubines thereby putting his father to open shame.
    In spite of all of this, David did nothing but run. His love for Absalom was very hard to understand but all David wanted was for him to be safe and alive. He even put those who were with him at great risk by making them promise they would not kill his son even if given the opportunity.
    Absalom's hair got caught in some tree branches and he hung there until sighted by those who were David's faithful defenders. They killed Absalom in order to restore David to his throne back in Jerusalem. David wept for Absalom and showed little gratitude to those who put themselves at great risk to save him and the kingdom.
    Today, there are those who usurp openly the kingdom of our dear Lord and Savior and Heavenly King, Jesus Christ. They will succeed only so long as God tolerates them. Then they will be shown for who and what they are and be done.
    When Christ comes in all of His heavenly glory and the angels of Heaven with Him, then shall every enemy of the Lord perish. Even as Christ wept over Jerusalem He will mourn the lost but then He will celebrate with the redeemed.
    I look forward to that great and glorious day.

User Info Menu

16 And when David was a little past the top of the hill, behold, Ziba the servant of Mephibosheth met him, with a couple of asses saddled, and upon them two hundred loaves of bread, and an hundred bunches of raisins, and an hundred of summer fruits, and a bottle of wine.
    2 And the king said unto Ziba, What meanest thou by these? And Ziba said, The asses be for the king's household to ride on; and the bread and summer fruit for the young men to eat; and the wine, that such as be faint in the wilderness may drink.
    3 And the king said, And where is your master's son? And Ziba said unto the king, Behold, he abides at Jerusalem: for he said, To day shall the house of Israel restore me the kingdom of my father."

If I understand this correctly, Mephibosheth, the son of Saul, also has designs on the kingdom of Israel and desires to be its king or, was this subterfuge on the part of Ziba? Was Ziba taking advantage of the situation attempting to work him self into the good graces of David the rightful king of Israel. And, more than that, is David being taken in by him? I think the latter if the case and that David, at least for the moment, is fooled.
    How often some will take advantage of a situation to further their own causes.
    I just left a ministry in central Indiana to move to where I am living now. I decided to resign the church. I was under no pressure at all from the church to do this but I felt that I had become a deterrent to its growth and I did not want that. This congregation was more than gracious toward me and many asked my why I felt I had to leave and to retire. Retirement was just an excuse to leave without creating a lot of issues the church did not need. They now have an interim pastor and I pray that he can with God's help move the church past the place where they are now into a very successful future and if he gets all of the credit for it, so be it. I am more concerned about the church than I am about him or myself and who gets the credit-to God be the glory now and forever.
    As in the days of David, there are those who want to take advantage of a situation in order to give themselves a leg up on their personal agendas. This should not be, not now, not ever. My heart, as was David's, is full of love for God's glorious kingdom and I do not desire to usurp His authority in order to give that kingdom my character or personality, I want it to be eternally His.
    It is His church and it is His kingdom. It was then and it is now. May He have full and sovereign authority over it at all times.

User Info Menu

5 And when king David came to Bahurim, behold, thence came out a man of the family of the house of Saul, whose name was Shimei, the son of Gera: he came forth, and cursed still as he came.
    6 And he cast stones at David, and at all the servants of king David: and all the people and all the mighty men were on his right hand and on his left.
    7 And thus said Shimei when he cursed, Come out, come out, you bloody man, and you man of Belial: 2 Samuel 16:5-7

As we journey from here to heaven there are many who will misunderstand what we do and say either by intent or by a lack of knowledge of how God works. It matters not whether you are king or president or just a servant of the Lord in an obscure place in the world, there will be those who want to bring you down if only for the reason that you are a servant of the Lord.
    The politics of David's day is not that far from the politics of today. David had his enemies. They were determined to undermine his God-given authority as king of Israel, all of the tribes of Israel. Though he was king not all were happy to have him as their king. Those who remained of the family of Saul the previous king such as Shimei, hated David. He threw stones at him and cursed him and shouted false accusations at him. He called him a "bloody man and a man of belial" which meant a worthless son of Satan.
    Oh, how we have been misrepresented and misunderstood and maligned over the years. I, like most pastors and leaders in the church have been tempted and tested and tried and at times nearly defeated by Satan but I never gave up on God and He never gave up on me. David is at a low place in his life but he will not give up on God and still trusts God to be there for him and to help him even to the end. God never gave up on David because God knew his heart and his love for Him. We need to remember that as the song says, "The God of the mountain is still God in the valley" and I might suggest, the God of everywhere at all times and under all circumstances. Shimei is not speaking in behalf of God nor are those who make us out to be their worst enemy when that is not the case. God will speak for Himself and when He does you will recognize His voice. He sounds exactly like His Son saying, "Come unto Me and I will give you rest!".

User Info Menu

11 And David said to Abishai, and to all his servants, Behold, my son, which came forth of my bowels, seek my life: how much more now may this Benjamite do it? let him alone, and let him curse; for the Lord had bidden him.
    12 It may be that the Lord will look on mu affliction, and that the Lord will requite me good for his cursing this day. 2 Samuel 16:11-12

All of these accusations being cast at David seem justified by the person casting them. In a way, they are true. David has been from time to time a disappointment to the Lord. David knows this of himself and is willing to suffer the humiliation and even to take what is being said and done by his accuser as God's way of reminding him that he has sinned against Him. David has betrayed God and, even though he thinks that he has paid for it in many ways, he has yet to humble him self before the Lord as he once did before he was king of Israel. He is learning that a partial repentance is not enough. One must fully repent and admit that he or she has sinned and fallen far short of God's glory.
    You hear that saying from the New Testament book of Romans being quoted all the time and quite often people misquote it. What is says is that we all (all of us) have sinned and fallen short of God's glory. But, of course we have and we all have but what it does not say is that we must continue to do that. Have is a past tense verb. It does not say that we all do sin and continue to fall short of His glory as some teach that we do. It is not my intention to get into a long and drawn our theological debate about this but we must quote Scripture accurately if we are going to us it in any discussion about the truth that is it speaking. I am grateful to the Lord for full salvation which does not mean that I cannot but does say that God will hold me accountable for personal sins that I commit and If I do I must instantly repent of that sin and move away from it.
    David is becoming aware of the true and pure holiness of the God he was so in love with as a youth. As an adult he moved away from that God and formulated a more tolerant God in his mind which allowed him in his mind to sin and think that because he was king he could get away with it. That was not true then and it is not true now. God have mercy on us if we think so. The word is "sin not" and that is God's warning to us all.

User Info Menu

1 Furthermore David the king said unto all the congregation, Solomon my son, whom alone God has chosen, is yet young and tender, and the work is great: for the palace is not for man, but for the Lord God.
    2 Now I have prepared with all my might for the house of my God the gold for things to be made of gold, and the silver for things of silver, and the brass for things of brass, the iron for things of iron, and wood for things of wood; onyx stones, and stones to be set, glistering stones, and of divers colors, and all manner of precious stones, and marble stones in abundance.
    3 Moreover, because I have set my affection to the house of my God, I have of my own proper good, of gold and silver, which I have given to the house of my God, over and above all that I have prepared for the holy house, I Chronicles 29:1-3

David is old and, yet, he is excited about what he has been told by God through the prophets about building the temple there in Jerusalem. He is not going to do the actual building of it but his son Solomon will. David has laid the ground work by gathering the materials needed for the construction of the temple so that Solomon can give all of his attention and energy to the actual construction of it.
    Think about what David tells us about himself in verse three. "I have set my affection to the house of my God and have taken my personal wealth contributed gold and silver and made preparations for the holy house." To David there is nothing more urgent than the actual construction of the house of God.
    Now, I must ask you this, what is more important than the building up of the church of God today? I know, we all have family and some have businesses and others have a whole series of things we need to give our attention to, but of all of these things which we see as needs, which of them is more important than the building up of the church of God? David had to make choices and so do we. As for me and my house, our choice is to be God's church and to build it so that others can be it as well.

User Info Menu

11 Moreover he made high places in the mountains of Judah, and caused the inhabitants of Jerusalem to commit fornication, and compelled Judah thereto.
    2 Chronicles 21:11

Just how important is it for us to listen to the Lord and not other people when it comes to our personal worship? I believe that it is very important because God has given us certain commands when it comes to worshiping Him. The he here is Jehoram who is king of Judah who fell away from the high standards worship established by God for Judah through His priests and prophets. These were men who had the attention of previous kings but not the attention of Jehoram who had married into the family of Ahab the evil king of Israel. Jehoram married one of his daughters and she brought what she had learned and was taught to believe into their relationship. So, Jehoram taught the people of Judah that community worship could and, at times, should happen in other places than the temple of the Lord.
    Over the years of my ministry I have had my biblical knowledge insulted by those who tried to tell me that they could worship God anywhere at anytime. This is true of those who are true believers and when the opportunity to worship as the church was not available to them. But when there is a gathering of God's people for the purpose of worship why would any fellow Christian want to be some other place? God's New Testament Word is that we should come together more often instead of less in these latter times but the trend today is to come together less and less. One service a week of meaningful worship is about all that some who profess to be Christian can take. Why is that? Because true worship of God is not their goal. What most people want today is an assurance that heaven is in their future no matter how they live in this world. Having that assurance, they leave "worship" and head out to live their lives their way for the remainder of the week.
    To serve and to worship God in His truth is the highest goal of every true believer in God. If that is not the case then a trip to the altar of God might just be needed.

User Info Menu

17 For there were many in the congregation that were not sanctified: therefore the Levites had the charge of the killing of the Passovers for every one that was not clean, to sanctify them unto the Lord. 2 Chronicles 30:17

God is still seeking for a "sanctified" people. To sanctify in this instance means to: purposefully make oneself clean from all sin. It is to consecrate yourself to the Lord keeping not one thing back from the Lord. It means what you do to be holy in the eyes of the God you love and serve. To make preparations and to prepare yourself to be forgiven and filled with His holy Spirit.
    This event was a very sacred event to King Hezekiah. He was bringing God's people back to the ordinances and the oracles of the sanctuary. He was intent on returning the kingdom back to God's rule, even himself though he is king. This was a major undertaking and must have seemed so overwhelming to him that he would not have attempted it unless God had sanctified him to do it. God was calling His people back to the worship He intended for them from the beginning and He had a king in Hezekiah who would have behind him many who were of the same heart and mind that he was.
    What the church needs today is this type of revival where it matters not who get the credit for the outcome and leaves the outcome up to a great movement of God's Holy Spirit. Who cares who gets what credit so long as God wins the day?
    So many are seeking to have their names inscribed upon the hearts of their followers that God's name gets lost in the process. God is our sovereign Lord and Savior. I never saved one soul in the forty-eight years of my ministry as pastor of any and all of the churches I served but I watched as God saved many.
    I was His instrument and I was a willing participant in His ministry. I always remembered that it was and still is His ministry and I was blessed to be a part of it.
    True worship requires a sold-out heart. You cannot worship God if you make yourself a god to be worshiped. God will not compete with you. He is already God and high and lifted up. He will give you from His glory but it is His glory to share and not for you to grab. I never intend to be in His way but I do always intend to be on the way to Him.

User Info Menu

6 So kill the Passover, and sanctify yourselves, and prepare your brethren, that they may do according to the word of the Lord by the hand of Moses.
    7 And Josiah gave to the people, of the flock, lambs and kids, all for the Passover offerings, for all that were present, to the number of thirty thousand, and three thousand bullocks: these were of the king's substance. 2 Chronicles 35:6-7

Josiah was among the most Godly of the kings of Israel. He was so dedicated to bring the people back to the Lord. He called for the celebration of Passover which had been neglected for years. Not only was it not always celebrated, when it was celebrated not much attention to a proper celebration was given to it. This king wanted to know in detail how God intended this high and holy day to be observed. Thus, he studied and learned and called the people to come to Jerusalem and celebrate this most solemn and holy day.
    I know that we have just finished with Christmas but now we must turn our minds and our attention to a day the world has labeled Easter. I call it Resurrection Sunday because it is the Christian's day to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Christ Jesus, after all, is the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world. He did so not only by His death but also by His life of absolute surrender and obedience to His Father before and following His death. Not one whit of His life did He claim for Himself, He gave it all over to God. This is the fullest meaning of a sanctified life and rarely attained to by anyone. Jesus did it in the Power and Authority of His Father's Holy Spirit and if we are going to do it in any measure at all, it must be by the same Holy Spirit.
    May God help us to come to this great day this year to celebrate as in no other year in our lives. May we come to surrender to God and with a willingness to be obedient to Him in all aspects of our lives. May this day be the beginning of a new spiritual awakening all over the world. Pray with me for that.

Page 91 of 96 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast