• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Terrorism works because people are afraid. So, I refuse to advocate to shut our gates and hide behind our borders. I refuse to be afraid of everyone that is, or even looks, Muslim. Hell, I see people afraid of Sikhs now because they look too Muslim-y. I refuse to cower. I refuse to engage in stereotypes and hatred in either direction, not "everyone hates Muslims/there's a war on Islam" nor "All Muslims are after us" because I *know* neither is true and only the loudest get the attention, that most of us just go about our lives. Remember after 9/11 when it was "if we do this, the terrorists win?" It got so tiresome to many, as though a baseball game or reopening of a business was what terrorism was about. Well, it is. Disrupting the norm, causing you to live in fear, and driving people apart is how terrorists win.

As some of you know, my family and I recently traveled to Jordan and to Spain. We enjoyed Barcelona so much, we are making plans to return to see more of Spain. Well, the attack on Paris changed our mind.

We're still going to Madrid, but we'll be taking the train from Madrid to Paris and spending a few days there before returning to Spain. We went to Amman and Barcelona this year, and were not afraid of Jordan. We will not be afraid of Paris, either. We will continue to see and enjoy cultural landmarks, we will continue to support their economies with our tourism dollars, and you can suck a big fat *ahem* if you think you'll change our mind. **** you for driving people apart, **** you for taking innocent lives, and **** you for making people afraid. You will NOT make us afraid. See you in Paris. See you on the train.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'll be curious to see how your family is received. :) I mean, in some ways, you will be their stereotypical 'Merican. But, in other ways, you most certainly will not.

[strike]Do you[/strike] Does your wife speak any French? In speaking to family who are native speakers, if you at least try to speak French, you will be better received. They will still speak to you in English, and laugh about your attempt, but won't be quite as rude. If you walk around expecting everyone to speak English, that will induce Gallic rudeness, even from the people who do speak English.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll be curious to see how your family is received. :) I mean, in some ways, you will be their stereotypical 'Merican. But, in other ways, you most certainly will not.

[strike]Do you[/strike] Does your wife speak any French? In speaking to family who are native speakers, if you at least try to speak French, you will be better received. They will still speak to you in English, and laugh about your attempt, but won't be quite as rude. If you walk around expecting everyone to speak English, that will induce Gallic rudeness, even from the people who do speak English.

Most people assume my wife is Italian when we've traveled in Europe until she speaks. No, no French. She does Arabic and I handle Spanish. I'll try to pick up some French.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Most people assume my wife is Italian when we've traveled in Europe until she speaks. No, no French. She does Arabic and I handle Spanish. I'll try to pick up some French.

You know... I don't want to tell you your business or anything... but there are worse things for a couple than learning French together. ;) :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You know... I don't want to tell you your business or anything... but there are worse things for a couple than learning French together. ;) :)

Wife is onboard. Woot!

The phrase I'll likely need the most if Italy and Spain were any indication is "I would like to buy this pastry/gelatto/cake"

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm pretty sure "pastry" is "putasse" but check with Sylvain. ;)

That's going to be fun.

The Italian for "excuse me" is VERRRY similar to the Arabic slang for, erm, girl parts. My wife blushed like a stop light the first few times she said it, and then it gave way to giggle fits the rest of the time we were there.

Side note, Arabic slang for cute girls is now the word for banana. I've no idea why.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Terrorism works because people are afraid. So, I refuse to advocate to shut our gates and hide behind our borders. I refuse to be afraid of everyone that is, or even looks, Muslim. Hell, I see people afraid of Sikhs now because they look too Muslim-y. I refuse to cower. I refuse to engage in stereotypes and hatred in either direction, not "everyone hates Muslims/there's a war on Islam" nor "All Muslims are after us" because I *know* neither is true and only the loudest get the attention, that most of us just go about our lives. Remember after 9/11 when it was "if we do this, the terrorists win?" It got so tiresome to many, as though a baseball game or reopening of a business was what terrorism was about. Well, it is. Disrupting the norm, causing you to live in fear, and driving people apart is how terrorists win.

As some of you know, my family and I recently traveled to Jordan and to Spain. We enjoyed Barcelona so much, we are making plans to return to see more of Spain. Well, the attack on Paris changed our mind.

We're still going to Madrid, but we'll be taking the train from Madrid to Paris and spending a few days there before returning to Spain. We went to Amman and Barcelona this year, and were not afraid of Jordan. We will not be afraid of Paris, either. We will continue to see and enjoy cultural landmarks, we will continue to support their economies with our tourism dollars, and you can suck a big fat *ahem* if you think you'll change our mind. **** you for driving people apart, **** you for taking innocent lives, and **** you for making people afraid. You will NOT make us afraid. See you in Paris. See you on the train.

Wife and I toured Spain a few years back and had an absolute blast! Madrid was the highlight with Palacio Real being a must see. There are no shortage of sights to see in Madrid.

I have been to Paris several years back and thoroughly enjoyed that trip as well. If you only do one thing in Paris, tour Notre Dame.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you go to Madrid and this is your motivation, you should check out the memorial from the bombing in one of the two train stations for heading out of the city. It's worth a go for sure with your motivation of going. I am pretty certain though that if you are going by train up to Barcelona you will use the other station.

If you are going North on the train out of Madrid though, I highly recommend spending a day in Segovia!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you go to Madrid and this is your motivation, you should check out the memorial from the bombing in one of the two train stations for heading out of the city. It's worth a go for sure with your motivation of going. I am pretty certain though that if you are going by train up to Barcelona you will use the other station.

If you are going North on the train out of Madrid though, I highly recommend spending a day in Segovia!

Already been to Barcelona. Madrid was planned next before Paris happened, but will check it out.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was there 11 years ago. It is a beautiful city that has well earned its reputation!

You must see the Louvre! There is a lot of militaria there that surprised me. I spent several hours there and didn't even see the Mona Lisa.

The French are wonderful people who were extremely outgoing and friendly. Of course, I tried really hard to use as much French as I could, so I think that had something to do with it.

I asked a Frenchman one time why it was that they had a problem with Americans? "It isn't the Americans we have a problem with, it's the British," he replied. "So," I continued, "What is your problem with the British?"

He said, "We have been neighbors for 800 years and they refuse to speak our language. You Americans we can forgive, but the British... Pah!"

It kinda made sense to me.

Have fun!

Doug

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Be careful in the red light district. I had a guy try to pay me to...pleasure him there.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Being laughed at and treated rudely, that's where I want to spend my money.

Top Bottom