• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I am thinking about buying one. Which one do you like and why? Which ones do you dislike? Any tips or info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    REC tec. Traeger used to be great, but they've gotten too proud of their products. I've had a Traeger for years and I love how easy it is to use. Set the temp, make sure the hopper is full, and relax until the temp thermometer goes off.

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    Are you looking for just an electric or electric fed pellet smoker? I just got a Camp Chef DLX pellet smoker. Just fill the hopper with pellets, set it and forget it. Can get pellets at menards. Have only used it once but it is pretty cool. Good smoke flavor. Cost about $500 shipped.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    I bought this electric smoker less than a year ago and have used it 25 times. The purists don't like it, but I have smoked chickens, turkeys, trout, venison roast (butterflied with bacon), beef brisket, and pork shoulders with great results. It is very portable so I sometimes put it in the trunk of the car and treat my relatives to smoked dinners at their house. One of my brothers has bought one for himself because he can bring it with him when he goes RVing. At $49, you can't beat the price. The only problem I have with it is that sometimes I can't keep the wood chips lit when set at a low temperature like 225 F and I have to turn it up for a few minutes. Other times the wood chips stay lit without a problem. Haven't figured out the reason.

For the best price:

Oster® Smoker Roaster Oven, 16-Quart at Oster.com.

For more reviews:

Amazon.com: Oster CKSTROSMK18 Smoker Roaster Oven, 16-Quart: Electric Roasters: Kitchen & Dining

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Do you, or have you had a smoker before? Will you ever be using the electric smoker while it is raining? Or in freezing temperatures?
    I had electric years ago but moved to gas. No cords, no low smoker temps in sub-freezing weather. The newer electrics may not have this problem though as others may attest to.
    Either way I really like a front door style as opposed to a barrel style that you lift the top off of to check/water. I have noticed a lot of smokers now have a upper door for food and a separate, lower door for wood and water. If I was buying one now I would get that style.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I have a homemade smoker now that uses wood. I made it from 2 old hot water heaters. The problem with it is it takes a long time to get it going and you have to watch it constantly. I want one that I can do some stuff will it's cooking and check on it every hour or so. I never really thought about propane. How much cooking do you get out of a 20lb tank? I've looked at the master built ones but wasn't sure if I wanted the front glass door or not. Does anyone have any experience with the 30"? I usually only cook food for the 3 of us.

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    I have a friend at work with just a straight electric. He said it works good. Has done briskets but does not get the bark or smoke flavor of a wood fed one. He compares it to cooking in the oven. He has tried putting chips in it also. Can't say how much wood chips he used or if he even used enough. Just did chicken on my pellet cooker and it was great. Really happy so far with it. Spent about $18 for 40# of pellets at Menards. Used about a pound an hour for my first two cooks. Let us know what you get.

Top Bottom