• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Anybody have success getting a refund from eBay? I recently bought an expensive 1/8 model aircraft kit that was represented as 99%. Prior to bidding I messaged the seller and asked what's missing. His reply was that it looks like everything is there but he says 99% as he bought it at an auction.

I got the kit and found among other things it is missing the assembly plans, engine, tool set, and apparently quite a bit of the wood parts. I asked for a refund and the seller is saying tough beans. I then opened a resolution with eBay and they want me to wait until January 8 to work it out with the seller and then contact them. Since the seller blew me off I'll have to wait a few days to see where this will go. They say they will determine in two days after January 8 if my beef is valid.

Any experience with this type situation on eBay or am I screwed?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have been selling Surplus tools I make on EBay for over 10 years, and as a seller I will say this, what I have witnessed is the buyer normally wins. Give it time. EBay has alot of people to deal with..

What was the sellers rating ?? Did you use Pay-Pal or another credit card to pay ?

I'm not much of a buyer on EBay, but I will say I don't buy from sellers with less than a 99.9% rating. It's not that hard to keep a excellent rating.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Seller has been a member since 2004, 1906 transactions, 100% rating. So far he has made it clear that he won't give a refund. I paid with PayPal (didn't know I could use a credit card) and in checking their site they just refer you to eBay. I've done dozens of deals on eBay and never really had a problem. This is an eye opener.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would wait and see what EBay says and if you feel they are unjust I would file with the CC company. Just don't wait to long before you file with the CC company. Good Luck.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Listing number? Typically, the seller will state refund/return policy, but it will be in the details of the listing and how well they stated what they were selling.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My experience with Evilbays "guarantee is that the first thing you're going to have to do is get the item appraised professionally. It goes downhill from there. Their process puts them solidly in the most advantageous position and that position is to not honor their "guarantee". Been there several times before I learned not to done that again.

Kinda like FedEx and UPS "insurance", their standard response has always been that if it had been properly packaged it wouldn't have been damaged. Pray tell dear FedEx, how do I properly package an item to prevent a forklift skewering it completely thru and still be affordable to ship???

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Seller has been a member since 2004, 1906 transactions, 100% rating. So far he has made it clear that he won't give a refund. I paid with PayPal (didn't know I could use a credit card) and in checking their site they just refer you to eBay. I've done dozens of deals on eBay and never really had a problem. This is an eye opener.

I've had tons of problems with ebay recently, but paypal, and now ebay has always gotten my money back, it just takes time.

Sucks for this guy, he is going to lose the money, and his 100% feedback rating.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    OK, today was the first day I could ask eBay for arbitration. On Wednesday I emailed the seller that I would ship the item back to him at my cost if he would give me a refund. That way I'd be out the shipping and he would be where he was before all this started. He would be free to relist the item. He never responded so this morning I emailed eBay and asked for the eBay Money Back Guarantee. They said they will get back to me within 48 hours. About ten minutes later I get an email from them saying they have ruled in my favor!. I printed a label and shipped the item back to the seller giving eBay the tracking number. They say when he gets the item I get my money.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    OK, today was the first day I could ask eBay for arbitration. On Wednesday I emailed the seller that I would ship the item back to him at my cost if he would give me a refund. That way I'd be out the shipping and he would be where he was before all this started. He would be free to relist the item. He never responded so this morning I emailed eBay and asked for the eBay Money Back Guarantee. They said they will get back to me within 48 hours. About ten minutes later I get an email from them saying they have ruled in my favor!. I printed a label and shipped the item back to the seller giving eBay the tracking number. They say when he gets the item I get my money.
    Don't get too excited. He can claim that you didn't send it all back or sent it back broken once he gets it. There's still cards to play.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah, I thought of that. Guess it ain't over until its over. I used the box it came in to return it and put lots of packing tape all over.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I've Never had a problem that was Not resolved to my satisfaction. I always went thru PayPal for Resolution. Either Total Refund or items replaced. I admit its been awhile and things may have changed

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had my first experience with this last year. Got an item represented as new. When I opened it up the shell looked new but the guts looked like they'd been replaced with that of an older unit and not even functional. Ebay had me send the item back at the seller's expense and refunded me the $$ with no questions asked. The seller never responded to my requests for a refund.

In my experience ebay is quite heavily stacked in favor of the buyer. I always get nervous selling things as it is too easy to claim an item wasn't as described.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I sell on eBay or GunBroker I describe the item to a fault so there is no question what they are getting. I've had comments that stuff arrived "better than expected". If my seller had accurately described the kit I bought, no way would I have bid on it. I've bought/sold on eBay for 12 years and this is the first time there was a problem.

Top Bottom