• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wife texted me that our nanny noted a bunch of wet carpet outside her door. I snickered and hoped the dog had peed on the floor because she sent a video of her foot sloshing in it. Then I get a text there's water on the tile 25' away and in the far corner of another room. Crap.

Her bedroom is the closest to the mechanical room and sump pits. My pump died two years ago and we had a new one put in. We have a water backup system so I figured we'd be OK. Well... our pump runs all the time anyway due to a wet area we live in. For whatever reason it seems the pump stopped ejecting water and the pits filled up and overflowed. The water backup didn't work because the float was stuck. When I got home I could tell the pump was doing something, just nothing helpful. I unplugged it, gave it a minute and heard the water come back down the pipe, plugged it back in and viola, water level recedes.

I went into where my safe is and found 1/2" water through that whole room with lots of ammo and fireworks stored on the floor. sigh. I could hear water bubbling up into the pipe for the radon mitigation system. That's probably not a good sign.

Fast forward to now and we have Dena Corlette from Indianapolis General Contractors (317-557-3801) here 20 minutes after I call her. My dad and a friend are coming to move things away from the walls so they can dry the carpet and maybe pull the pad. Ugh.

I don't believe there's any drywall damage and I doubt much has been destroyed but haven't really looked into the electronics and firearm stuff yet. Yes, every dang one is a first-world problem so I don't need those snarky comments.

Lesson: a water backup needs to be tested once in a while, and maybe get a water alarm that will text you if there's an issue. A battery backup wouldn't have helped since the pump had an issue. A second pump will be going in to supplement the water backup one.

I'm sick, wife is sick, hottub had two pumps fail and is about to be winterized so I can lift it from the hole and get it repaired. Now the basement floods. What a week.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I need to get a backup system. Our pump runs quite a bit if there is any rain. Basement is unfinished but there could still be damage if there was water.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think it will, just a big PItA. I'm supposed to take my eldest on a dad/son bonding overnight trip tonight. Going to do what I can to still make that happen

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've never understood the idea of relying on a pump running 24/7 to keep a basement dry. If there's that much water in the area they probably shouldn't have put in a basement. I grew up in a house with a full basement and no pumps for anything and it was always 100% dry even in the worst of rain. We actually put a humidifier down there to add some humidity. I know most new houses are built with sump pumps but it always amazes me that no one has come up with a better solution.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Heard on the radio that its recommended to replace these pumps every 2 to 3 years before they fail. Not a very long life span, Dry the ammo, ASAP, discard the cardboard & store them in metal ammo cans. Good Luck

-I know most new houses are built with sump pumps but it always amazes me that no one has come up with a better solution-

We have French Drains below ground, No pump & No water, so far :yesway:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom