• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Well crap. The alternator went out in my son's Jeep on his way home from work Friday night.

It was left parked along the side of the road, but when he went back to fix it Saturday it was gone.

He's filed a Police report and I'm helping him call tow yards/impound lot to see if any of them have it but at this point we assume it was stolen.

1996 Black Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires.

Frustrating.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Good luck. I had a vehicle stolen and it was totaled when finally found. It also had some "welcome Louis farrakhan to indianapolis" flyers in it.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    If it didn't run, along the side of the road, I'm guessing it was stolen by a towing company. My daughter had the same issue last winter and it got towed with-in 3 hours. Cost damn near $300 once we found out where it was to ransom it out. It's a f'ing scam by the tow companies because they got you by the short hairs and know you'll pay whatever it takes to get it back.:ranton:

Good luck ;)

Bob

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    If it didn't run, along the side of the road, I'm guessing it was stolen by a towing company. My daughter had the same issue last winter and it got towed with-in 3 hours. Cost damn near $300 once we found out where it was to ransom it out. It's a f'ing scam by the tow companies because they got you by the short hairs and know you'll pay whatever it takes to get it back.:ranton:

Good luck ;)

Bob

Couldn't you file a police report on the towing company? File charges against them?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Depending on where it was abandoned (residential area or boonies) even if alternator toast it would only take a battery swap to steal it, and you could steal a battery pretty easy, too. If you did file a theft report on it might that not turn up if it is in an impound lot? I would be inclined to report it stolen ASAP

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    When it broke down was it over the white line, out of the lane of traffic? Did anyone contact the local PD to let them know it wasn't an abandoned vehicle? Was there any postings for no parking? More info needed before I accuse a towing company of theft.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Update: My son spoke with the local police department again. Police had seen the vehicle at 7pm Saturday (parked out of the way of traffic) but it was gone when my son went to get it at 9:30pm, so 2.5 hour window. Police had not requested that the vehicle be towed.

The local police department also called around the tow yards and impound lot but no one grabbed it. It's possible that one of the yards did grab it but it's not updated in the system yet. We'll know more tomorrow.

Top Bottom