• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Do you have any photo editing software?

I use Microsoft Picture It! for simple photo editing, and I can choose what size my .jpg's are, thereby making them smaller for email.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Karl,

When I come pick up my package, I'll happily help set you up with some good tools, and help you with how to use them.

Also, does your scanning software support scanning directly to PDF? I know the software our Xerox scanner at work came with does. Paper Port I think is the version.

Finally, you "might" be able to use the scanner while in Microsoft Word to "import" the catalog. From there, you can use a print to pdf package. (I forget the name of the good/free one off the top of my head) to create a PDF if your scanning software does not have that option.

<----- [shifty eyes]Not at all interested in that RRA catalog[/shifty eyes] *Whistle innocently* ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Also, does your scanning software support scanning directly to PDF? I know the software our Xerox scanner at work came with does. Paper Port I think is the version.

HPDirector software that came with the inexpensive HP all-in-one unit I have scans to PDF. I'm betting you have something similar with your scanner.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    What resolution setting did you use when scanning the photos? It may have a default setting of 300 ppi(pixels per inch) if so, just reset the resolution to 72 ppi and rescan. The jpegs will be quite a bit smaller.
    While 300 ppi is the standard resolution you want if you are printing out hard copies, 72 ppi will give you very good resolution on a computer screen.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I used 300dpi on the scanner, I'll have to try it at 150 and 72 and see if you can still read the fine print.
    I use ACDSee for photo editing.
    I don't want to resize due to the fine print and deatail in the catalog.

I tried to Print to PDF and it does cut the file size down by 1-2mb but it's still too large. I use the Cute pdf writer to Print to Pdf.

I think I'm just going to open a second account on Photobucket and send a link to it and those that want to can download the pages they want.

You might also try reducing the color depth or using a file format with better compression. JPG, for example, compresses pretty well, but it's lossy, so by the time you get the file size down to something manageable you can't read the text. You might try PNG which is lossless and should still display correctly in most modern web broswers.

The Gimp is a nice alternative to Photoshop if you're interested. It's open-source, and completely free.

shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Depending on your computer skills you can upload them to my ftp server and I can fix them and send you the download link. Or most of the above suggestions will work.

Top Bottom