• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    What's the most expensive piece of shooting or defensive gear/accessory/equipment that you have ever lost or misplaced? ... either at home, at the range, out and about, etc. Did you ever get it back? ... if so, how long was it missing? Did you find it or did someone else return it to you?

We've made our fair share of "donations" to the public over the years but the past two years have been pretty bad for us. Almost $350 in flashlights ... four of them. I have lost three myself.

I think I need to do a "gear accountability" stand down.

Any tips besides getting checked for Alzheimer's and memory loss?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I lost an Emerson knife for about two years, I found it in a couch when I was moving. That's the only thing I can think of other than a couple of Fisher Space Pens, I can't seem to hold on to those very well for some reason. Everything else I tend to cling to pretty well.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I "lost" a suppressor and pistol when wondering around my inlaw property at night with my night vision on, after I decided I was tired and fell asleep outside and when I woke up stumbled my way back home.

After 6 hours searching the next morning I finally found them.

needless to say there were some lessons learned from that outing.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I "lost" a suppressor and pistol when wondering around my inlaw property at night with my night vision on, after I decided I was tired and fell asleep outside and when I woke up stumbled my way back home.

After 6 hours searching the next morning I finally found them.

needless to say there were some lessons learned from that outing.

Wow

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Does "losing" gear in a divorce count? Lost a nice Winchester shotgun in a divorce , and my Schrade lockblade I'd had since I was a kid. Got the knife back a few years later from the guy she sold it to, never got the shotgun back.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Does "losing" gear in a divorce count? Lost a nice Winchester shotgun in a divorce , and my Schrade lockblade I'd had since I was a kid. Got the knife back a few years later from the guy she sold it to, never got the shotgun back.

Sorry for your loss ... shotgun and the wife. :D

Naw ... I meant actually losing something as in setting it down somewhere or having it fall out of your pocket or car door.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Maybe you need Jedi's checklist

I would probably lose that too.

Microtech in the truck. MIA for 3 months. Found during a detail--thank you honest folks at Ziebart.

Wow. Nice of them.

I had hoped for a similar happy ending on some of my losses but either, I flat out lost them where nobody would be able to return them or some people play "finders keepers" ... even if they are coworkers.

I lost an Emerson knife for about two years, I found it in a couch when I was moving.

I'll bet it was like Christmas.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll bet it was like Christmas.

Funny thing was even though it had been gone for so long (I had bought another one) I knew exactly what it was when we picked up the couch and it slid to one side. Apparently I had dropped them enough that the sound was recognizable when they "clink".

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I'm lucky. So far I've only lost a cheap pair of shooting glasses.

Come to think of it, glasses were a big loss item for me many years ago ... until I stopped paying a ton for them.

I'm thinking that if some of you guys started following me around, you would end up kitted up pretty nicely before too long.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I had to go to the Battalion Aid Station several years ago for a heat injury. I set my gear aside when I got there. When I got my gear back, the Oakley's I had put through the MOLLE webbing were gone. Figures. A few years later, I had purchased another pair of the exact same eyepro. I loaned them to someone, and he lost them. I haven't replaced them again yet.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    Over last summer I lost my SI Oakleys in the gulf, and earlier that year I lost a ZT Hinderer flipper, bag of trash snatched it from my pocket before I tossed it in the garbage. Both were never recovered.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've lost about $80 in knives (I buy cheap knives) and a pair of $20 earmuffs, but that's about it.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Not exactly shooting related, but I lost my titanium-framed glasses in the pere marquette river when the wife tried to drown us (we flipped the canoe).

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I had to go to the Battalion Aid Station several years ago for a heat injury. I set my gear aside when I got there. When I got my gear back, the Oakley's I had put through the MOLLE webbing were gone. Figures. A few years later, I had purchased another pair of the exact same eyepro. I loaned them to someone, and he lost them. I haven't replaced them again yet.

There's nothing like your buddies to "take care of you."

Over last summer I lost my SI Oakleys in the gulf, and earlier that year I lost a ZT Hinderer flipper, bag of trash snatched it from my pocket before I tossed it in the garbage. Both were never recovered.

I have a really nice Cabelas coat with an inside mesh pocket that would constantly catch my knife and pull it out of my pants pocket. 90% of the time it would basically swap places ... from pants to coat. Every so often though, it would drop the knife on the ground. Got tired of it so I ended up cutting the mesh out.

Not exactly shooting related, but I lost my titanium-framed glasses in the pere marquette river when the wife tried to drown us (we flipped the canoe).

Maybe she didn't like the style? :D

A nature expedition is what started the latest round flashlight losses for me in fall of 2014. Hiking in Brown County SP and at the end of the day noticed that my Streamlight Sidewinder was no longer clipped to my belt.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    about 6 yrs ago or so I left a new $160 Taylormade sand wedge leaning against a tree at a golf course.
    the moment I got home and realized it, I drove straight back to the course and there it was in the clubhouse.
    :rockwoot:

Top Bottom