• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Tried to find some appropriate reaction gifs, so just have a few.

xx7ZiWR.gif

0NmmQzT.gif

otnzuJJ.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'll wait for additional confirmation.

But... wow. Honestly thought we may never crack something like this.

Yeah, I get that. Additional proof may not really come until the Italian version goes online, I think next year.

But, I think there is some solace in the idea that the observed effects match up with Einstein's modelling. That dude was all in it.

Would've been hilarious if they put the graph on the overhead and said, "Because Einstein." :)

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Just saw this technology on science channel on Tue about gravitational waves being detected on the show "What on Earth?". The tech wasn't really new.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The tech and experimental approach was tested earlier in the 2000s, but didn't yield any results. It was basically a beta production. (I think a UK group did alpha testing even before that.)

The article says that the results reported were from measurements taken soon after they turned it on in September. It will be interesting to know if they've gotten more measurements since then, and how they compare.

And, like I said, there's another facility coming online that will help with both measurements and confirmations.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Spacetime can be represented as a fabric, which you have to try to visualize in 4D. Mass distorts the fabric, squeezing it in as you approach. That graph paper with masses weighing down the 2D sheet around them and your asteroid or space probe or whatever rolling up and down hill is the TV version to try to get that across. As such, gravity is not a force that draws things together, but the thing you're following being on the "downhill" side of the squozen part of spacetime centered on the planet, star, whathaveyou that's being approached. In 4D. And the thing itself has its own little downhill, as well.

The force vector of the downhillness due to gravity is added as an acceleration to the existing velocity vector of the thing you're following, like the sideways force vector introduced to your tires when you turn the steering wheel adds acceleration sideways to your car and alters its path. This acceleration alters the path of the thing in any case, but it may either escape on an altered path, be captured in orbit, or spiral in and crash. This includes light. Time also speeds up as you go downhill, thus the whole thing being referred to as spacetime, rather than just space.

Anyway, when these masses interact, rolling up and downhill, there are changes in the net squeezitude at points in space, and those changes propagate out as signals, like the ripples on the surface of water when the waves interact and cause new waves. But in 4D. These guys have developed a radio that can tune into these waves and analyze them to make a picture of the interactions, but it's not very sensitive so far and has to filter the desired signal out from all the other signals. That's what's new, a way to look at an additional aspect of the picture, like radar or infrared add to visible light photography.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Spacetime can be represented as a fabric, which you have to try to visualize in 4D. Mass distorts the fabric, squeezing it in as you approach. That graph paper with masses weighing down the 2D sheet around them and your asteroid or space probe or whatever rolling up and down hill is the TV version to try to get that across. As such, gravity is not a force that draws things together, but the thing you're following being on the "downhill" side of the squozen part of spacetime centered on the planet, star, whathaveyou that's being approached. In 4D. And the thing itself has its own little downhill, as well.

The force vector of the downhillness due to gravity is added as an acceleration to the existing velocity vector of the thing you're following, like the sideways force vector introduced to your tires when you turn the steering wheel adds acceleration sideways to your car and alters its path. This acceleration alters the path of the thing in any case, but it may either escape on an altered path, be captured in orbit, or spiral in and crash. This includes light. Time also speeds up as you go downhill, thus the whole thing being referred to as spacetime, rather than just space.

Anyway, when these masses interact, rolling up and downhill, there are changes in the net squeezitude at points in space, and those changes propagate out as signals, like the ripples on the surface of water when the waves interact and cause new waves. But in 4D. These guys have developed a radio that can tune into these waves and analyze them to make a picture of the interactions, but it's not very sensitive so far and has to filter the desired signal out from all the other signals. That's what's new, a way to look at an additional aspect of the picture, like radar or infrared add to visible light photography.

So.......what you're saying is........Gravity Sucks!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    And then you hit the floor, yeah. I need a little piece of portable event horizon, like the portable hole on Road Runner, so when I fall over I can throw it on the floor and it takes forever before impact.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Cool.... I always enjoy reading about these new observations of our universe
    I'm always amazed by the ways we find that our universe has ordered itself...randomly... With no outside assistance... Or design intent whatsoever..,

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Relax, I just look at what it is, how it got that way is someone else's wheelhouse. Can't speak for anyone else.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

I interpret that as meaning Earth is flat after all, and flexible too.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Squeezing is ok, but downhillness raises some suspicion. This guy seems like trouble. We should keep an eye on him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Totally not the same experiment, but somewhat linked. Pardon the quantum pun. :)

Simulated black hole experiment backs Hawking prediction - BBC News

Prof Steinhauer, from the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, uncovered evidence that particles were spontaneously escaping his replica black hole.
    Furthermore, these were "entangled" (or linked) with partner particles being pulled into the hole - a key signature of Hawking radiation

BTW, when I first read that someone was making a "replica" black hole, I thought, "That is a singularly bad idea."

But, it isn't really a black hole.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom