Has anyone done the Route 66 thing in IL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    One of my ex BIL's belongs to a Corvette Club in Ohio and they do it every few years. He and his wife always talk about in good light..

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Much as I hate going into or through The People's Republic of Illinois, I'd love to check this out. I do try to remind myself that they have sanctuary counties there for the 2nd Amendment with local law enforcement leadership that said they won't enforce the state's heaviest gun control laws. I just don't know which counties and towns they are. However, I'd bet the folks where most of Route 66 goes are more like us and less like the lefties in Chicago. I'd start a little southwest of there.

Let us know if you do it and post up some pics!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Haven't done it thru IL yet but have thru some of MO and OK thru to OKC. It's on "the list". I tell you, there's something to be said for getting of the interstate occasionally. We took 40 from Indy to St Louis a couple of years ago on one of our treks to see my sis in OK and it was amazing how much more relaxing the trip was and in our minds even though it did take longer we sure couldn't tell it.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    We did go over for a weekend in 2017 and saw a few things.
    These two were both in northern Illinois. We tried to find the starting point on Lake Michigan but the signs must have been stolen. The traffic was so bad I promised my wife to not try that again.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    We also made a trip to St. Louis to look at a Jeep and stopped off to see the Chain of Rocks Bridge across the Mississippi. The bridge is closed to vehicle traffic.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    On the Oklahoma stretch there are still a few locations where you can see the painted markers on the pavement itself but we only saw "Oklahoma 66" metal signs, no "US 66" signs.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    In 2017 we also made a trip out west. Williams, AZ was one of the last towns to be bypassed. They have embraced the Route 66 culture.
    Rod's Steak House is a true Route 66 icon having been there since 1949, if my memory serves me correctly. The Turquoise Tepee is also an icon. I used to trade my rattlesnake belt buckles for Native American artwork there back in the 80s and early 90s.
    We used to live an hour south and Williams was one of my wife's favorite places to go. We took my Father-In-Law looking for elk and he had a ball.

Last edited:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Ash Fork and Seligman are west of Williams. Seligman has capitalized on the movie, Cars, which is a must watch for any Route 66 lovers. The Snow Cap Diner is also a true 66 icon and is now being run by the son of the man who started it. The owner has a comic routine for unsuspecting customers. The father "got me" with it in the late 80s. The son continues in the tradition. The place is so well known that tour buses stop with tourists from overseas.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    In December of 2018 we took a train trip back "home" to central Arizona. Amtrak let us off in Flagstaff where we rented a car for a week to relive some of what we used to do.
    Another of the Route 66 icons is the Museum Club in Flagstaff. My wife and I used to go there on occasion when it was country dance night. The San Francisco Peaks are in the background It had just snowed the night before.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    We spent a night in Williams, AZ. The Polar Express was in full swing. Entire families were dressed in their pajamas. The town was open late for all the tourists.
    We ate again at Rod's Steak House. I had a house specialty; sugar-dipped steak.

Top Bottom